Thread: Strange coolant problem

My Cars
    BMW E83 2006

Strange coolant problem

So I have a strange coolant problem. This has been a problem since I bought the car last year. My coolant check light comes on. When I check the coolant, its not below minimum. I tried bleeding the system by opening the screw. adding coolant until it overflows then closing screw. this turned the coolant light off but then it came back on about 7 days later, when I rechecked coolant it was at the level of 7 days ago. My water guage never shows overheating. its always dead center if the car has been running for a while. But I dont get heat from the heater while standing still like on traffic lights and the heater is generally "slow". Although if left on for a while it heats up enough from driving time that you get kinda hot. Waterpump was changed last year but did not solve the problem. I have also left the coolant level at the 7 day level for months without overheating or anything like that. Anyone has any idea to share?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by benjaminadams; 02-06-2017 at 08:09 AM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW x3 1977 Porsche
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminadams View Post
    So I have a strange coolant problem. This has been a problem since I bought the car last year. My coolant check light comes on. When I check the coolant, its not below minimum. I tried bleeding the system by opening the screw. adding coolant until it overflows then closing screw. this turned the coolant light off but then it came back on about 7 days later, when I rechecked coolant it was at the level of 7 days ago. My water guage never shows overheating. its always dead center if the car has been running for a while. But I dont get heat from the heater while standing still like on traffic lights and the heater is generally "slow". Although if left on for a while it heats up enough from driving time that you get kinda hot. Waterpump was changed last year but did not solve the problem. Anyone has any idea to share?

Thanks in advance
    It could be that you might have a small leak you're not aware of. The thermostat might be stuck open aswell. What I would do in you're situation I would change the thermostat . Lift the front of the car and start bleeding the system in the way. It's faster and you can check for any issues during the bledding.

My Cars
    BMW E83 2006
    but if my thermostat was messed up, i would over heat or not get heat from heater no?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If your thermostat was stuck open you would very little heat until the engine was very warmed up and on the freeway heater out could be come weak

My Cars
    BMW E83 2006
    Would I also have my coolant light on? I was gonna change the Expansion tank/coolant level sensor and oil thermostat. Theory was that somewhere there is a leak and it introduces bubbles in the system. Should I also change the regular thermostat?

My Cars
    E30, E36, E36, E39, E83
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminadams View Post
    Would I also have my coolant light on? I was gonna change the Expansion tank/coolant level sensor and oil thermostat. Theory was that somewhere there is a leak and it introduces bubbles in the system. Should I also change the regular thermostat?
    You could have an air pocket in your heater core. You need to elevate the front of the car and bleed with a warmed engine and the heat set to maximum. Squeeze the top hoses and heater core hoses until all bubbles are gone.

If you've done that, this may be the start of another problem....

My Cars
    BMW E83 2006
    I bled the coolant like that as soon as I bought the car over a year ago what kinda problem are you thinking? Because the problem has been present for over a year without any "major" issues like overheating or engine not working properly

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2004 E83
    The first thing i would do fill the reservoir with water and then pressure test the system with a coolant pressure tester. Look for any leaks and watch your gauge. Dont change parts without finding the problem. A lot of people here will guess things. If there is no leak, I personnaly would perform a complete coolant flush. Let the engine warm up and use a machine to suck all the coolant and air out. The hoses will collapse because of the vacuum while doing the flush. Then refill, this will insure no air.
    Last edited by Em3297; 07-07-2017 at 07:26 AM.

My Cars
    E83 LCI 3.0si
    +1 first find the problem... I spent a lot of money in unnecessary repairs and learned from it. There should be a psychological condition/name for this...armchair internet expertise bias.