Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1.8 to 2.0 build

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
    Max - The wiring from the engine to the fusebox sneaks around the front airbox mount. It is a tight fit and almost seems wrong...and yes there should be cable ties that secure the wiring bundle to the inner fender liner. These are an adjustable "hook" style tie that slide over the small tabs welded into the body and are still available from BMW.

Part number: 12 32 1 276 231

#22 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0873

I tried to take a couple of pics so you can see the routing on my car:

Hope this helps!

MJ

Thanks MJ, definitely helps! Looks like the harness is routed correctly on my car. It just looks wrong and airbox sits right on it. I am missing these plastic ties and going to order some.

Thank you!
    Max

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Nice job on the exhaust! Looking good. Getting the system over the rear subframe is a fun little piece of work!

I would suggest you have a couple of cross braces welded to the front "S" pipe mount on the tube, that was my first and only failure so far on my original system on my 80is.
    OLD MAN - thanks for the feedback, it would not be too much work to add a bit of bracing there. Yes - working the pipe between the fuel tanks and over the subframe is the trickiest part of the job. My exhaust guy has been doing custom work for over 30 years and he made the comment that it was one of the most challenging pipes he's bent in a while

Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Max,,, MJ Seeing your engine harness plug wiring I decided to check mine, Mine has a clip on the on the wheel well wall inside the engine bay and the engine plug harness goes behind the Air Cleaner box from the Relay/Fuse Box. More than one way to route the engine plug harness. The Wiring on his 82 is accommodate the diagnostic plug on the engine,,where on mine diagnostic plug is in the relay/fuse box , thus the wiring differences on where they run..

Nice work on the exhaust, looks really good.

Randy
    Randy - good data point. I was not aware of the differences in an "early" vs. "late" 1.8 harness.

Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    Thanks MJ, definitely helps! Looks like the harness is routed correctly on my car. It just looks wrong and airbox sits right on it. I am missing these plastic ties and going to order some.

Thank you!
    Max
    Max - your welcome!

MJ
    Last edited by mjweimer; 09-24-2017 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Clarity

My Cars
    1982 320i
    Great build. My son is in the process of getting ready to pull his 1.8 and freshen it up.
    Question: What did you use to clean the cast aluminum?

My Cars
    82 E21
    winmag, all of the aluminum parts were cleaned in a large commercial ultrasonic cleaner. I did the intake, timing covers and brackets on the weekend at work and my machinist did the head at his shop.

The cleaning solution used in each case is unknown but I do know that it was not oil based and pH balanced (non-etching/non-corrosive for aluminum and other non-ferrous metals) and safe to handle without gloves.

I was also lucky to start with parts that were not terribly corroded or pitted. You might be able to find a local machine shop that has an ultrasonic tank or at least a process they are comfortable with for aluminum.

Sounds like a good Father/Son project. My first car was an E21 with a blown engine and my Dad and I worked together to get it back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
    Great build. My son is in the process of getting ready to pull his 1.8 and freshen it up.
    Question: What did you use to clean the cast aluminum?

MJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123