Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.8 to 2.0 build

My Cars
    82 E21
    Installed the header and made up a temporary exhaust for the initial start-up and drive. Free Supertrapp and some bits of pipe = NASCAR exhaust!

Had the header ceramic coated in Indy at Pro-Cote. Not expensive and turned out well.

With the engine and ancillary bits all in place it was time to turn to the rest of the issues. Bad RF ball-joint, blown dampers, crusty CV boots, center bearing with rock hard rubber, etc.

Bilsteins front and rear to match the Eibach's installed by the PO:

Lobro CV boot kits. Cost more than the Febi's but come with new inner and outer metal caps and the correct Oetiker style clamps on the big end to avoid interference.

I basically went through everything from front to back and even installed a low mileage LS diff. purchased from a forum member. One unexpected find during the rear axle removal was that the rear brakes were in-op. Wheel cylinders were frozen solid with rust....I am surprised I never noticed before.....the car sat for many years prior to my ownership.

Random note - I was able to find a vendor for the proper ceramic/copper fuses on Ebay (MercedesParts.com) and replaced all of them for piece of mind. Most of the old fuses were showing signs of corrosion - they were a silver colored material.

My Cars
    82 E21
    OK all of this info....when does it run? Well....it runs and runs well. I did the typical prep; running the fuel pumps to prime the system and check for leaks (one at the fuel filter banjo), filled the oil filter with oil and poured the remainder over the valvetrain and built oil pressure with the fuel pump relay disconnected.

Fired right up.

Adjusted the timing and went for a quick drive. Went for a gentle 20min drive and let it cool overnight so I could do the final torque on the head bolts (20-30deg per Elring) and re-check valve lash.

Drove it again for about 10 miles - boy that exhaust is loud - and now it sits awaiting an appointment with the guys who will build the 2.25" exhaust.

Still plenty of break-in miles left to do so I cannot really comment on the difference in power compared to the old 1.8. I will say that it does feel "torquier" and wants to pull easily past my self-imposed 3500rpm shift point. The idle does have a bit of lope due to the cam but I still need to spend some time checking the idle mixture...that will wait until after the full exhaust is in place.

I also realized that I never posted any actual pictures of the car. Still some details to sort on the paint, etc. but it is generally in great shape.

I'll report back once the exhaust is done and I put some more miles on it.

MJ

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    Fantastic build!! what a beautiful car.
    Ryan | 1983 BMW 320is | H&R's, Bilsteins's, Eurometric
    My Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...83-320is-build

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    What seat is that? Almost looks like an old VW recaro
    -John

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Extremely well sorted build. I compare yalls work to my own and I question if I'll get a year out of my rebuild.

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by meeceboy78 View Post
    Fantastic build!! what a beautiful car.
    Thank you. It has been quite the learning experience and lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Somjuan View Post
    What seat is that? Almost looks like an old VW recaro
    It is a period Recaro that the previous owner purchased new sometime back in the mid to late '80's. I believe it is an LS C model based on my limited research - it seems there were different options such as mesh headrest v. solid and the different bolstering heights that designated them A B C or D.

MJ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Extremely well sorted build. I compare yalls work to my own and I question if I'll get a year out of my rebuild.
    Many ways to get a good result. Based on your thread you did great work, especially given the time constraints!

MJ
    Last edited by mjweimer; 09-18-2017 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Very Nice build, this is what I'm considering 1.8 to 2.0, keeping K-Jet and additional enhancements . What HP is this at ?, Heat and Power comparisons-1.8 to 2.0 later,,lol.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-18-2017 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Beautiful, indeed. Great work!
    Tbd

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Very Nice build, this is what I'm considering 1.8 to 2.0, keeping K-Jet and additional enhancements . What HP is this at ?, Heat and Power comparisons-1.8 to 2.0 later,,lol.

Randy
    Hello Randy - I purchased my pistons, cam regrind and header from Top End Performance. TEP says their house built version of this engine with 9.8:1 compression is 160hp with upgraded intake, ignition and full high flow exhaust - 150hp with a stock exhaust manifold. It is not clear whether their work includes any head porting.

I always assume any published numbers are a bit exaggerated and since I used 9.6:1 pistons with no head port work one could safely assume my build is in the 120-130hp range with a corresponding bump in torque. I of course have no way to substantiate these numbers and almost hate to guess...

However what I know for sure is that the butt dyno says that this combo makes good torque. The engine is much more willing to pull from down low than it was prior to the rebuild and the old engine was is in excellent condition.

MJ

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    Beautiful, indeed. Great work!
    Thanks - I might need some of your vast knowledge of K-jet in the future when I get around to setting idle mixture, etc.

MJ

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
    Hello Randy - I purchased my pistons, cam regrind and header from Top End Performance. TEP says their house built version of this engine with 9.8:1 compression is 160hp with upgraded intake, ignition and full high flow exhaust - 150hp with a stock exhaust manifold. It is not clear whether their work includes any head porting.

I always assume any published numbers are a bit exaggerated and since I used 9.6:1 pistons with no head port work one could safely assume my build is in the 120-130hp range with a corresponding bump in torque. I of course have no way to substantiate these numbers and almost hate to guess...

However what I know for sure is that the butt dyno says that this combo makes good torque. The engine is much more willing to pull from down low than it was prior to the rebuild and the old engine was is in excellent condition, BMW,Porsche and so forth shops charge about 1 C-Note to adjust by infrared gas sniffer, CO% measured before pre catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold area.

MJ
    Thanks for the details, I'd say 120-130 HP Plus is a good estimate.

Look forward to more posts.

I have K-Jet A/F ratio wired, I have been setting mine for years now and smog passes.. I check A/F ratio every 6 months. You can set A/F by the Frequency Modulation Valve or the O2 sensor. When going thru the exhaust holes CO% is checked however one needs a CO% Tool( gas sniffer)-which measure CO% by infrared wavelength thus much more expensive,range is .2 to 1.2% CO,,1% CO is standard running conditions, set at curb idle speed. BMW, Porsche Shops charge about 1 C-Note to set A/F ratio using infrared tool-CO % gas sniffer tool.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    82 E21
    Yes exactly my thought. My plan is to get a wideband A/F set-up so I can monitor how it is running and help set idle mixture, etc. Probably will not permanently mount it but make it easy to install/uninstall as needed.

Still need to research my options but it seems there are many to choose from and the cost has come down considerably in the past few years.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by 320iAman View Post
    Thanks for the details, I'd say 120-130 HP Plus is a good estimate. Look forward to more posts. I have K-Jet A/F ratio wired, I have been setting mine for years now and smog passes.. I check A/F ratio every 6 months. You can set A/F by the Frequency Modulation Valve or the O2 sensor. I prefer O2 sensor method as unburned Oxygen is the variable being checked,, when going thru the exhaust holes CO% is checked however one needs a CO% Tool-which measure CO% by infrared thus much more expensive.

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I use a single wire O2 sensor, the readings hop around yet if you carefully set by the High range attained it works well.

Randy

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Wide bands I was shopping some time ago had a simulated single wire output for systems that required it I.e. K-lambda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Eric P.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by pommeree View Post
    Wide bands I was shopping some time ago had a simulated single wire output for systems that required it I.e. K-lambda.
    The one I've had in my Amazon wishlist for the longest time has that:

*Two fully programmable linear analog outputs to connect to analog gauges, dyno computers, ECUs, piggyback controllers, and other devices with analog inputs. Analog Output #1 (Yellow) is configured as 0 volt = 7.35 AFR and 5 volts = 22.39 AFR; Analog Output #2 (Brown) 1.1 volt = 14 AFR and .1 volt = 15 AFR. With the provided LM Programmer software these analog outputs may also be configured by the user.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    [/QUOTE]

Looks very clean! Question about the routing of the wiring harness coming from under the fusebox (near fuel pump relay): does it go between the battery and the front air cleaner mount or it goes between front and rear air cleaner mounts? I believe it supposed to be clamped to the inner fender somewhere below air cleaner?

I was just looking at mine and PO must have routed it wrong as it was rubbing on the air cleaner mount. I am not sure how it's supposed to be routed.

Thanks,
    Max

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Outstanding work MJ!!! Love where you have gone with your build.

Thank you for taking the time to do the posts and show your steps, I know how much work this can be.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by amarino View Post
    I snarfed my coffee when I read that!
    Here's my wishlist. Note the "Item added" date on the right!

Eric P.

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by pommeree View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pommeree - yes, this was a feature that I wanted in whatever product that I selected. I think the ability to simulate the single wire output is important if you were to get into serious tuning/troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by amarino View Post

[/FONT][/COLOR]

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php
    amarino - this gauge was on my short list and it is a good value for the features it packs. In the end I decided to go with a hand-held unit from Innovate that allows for data logging. I chose to go with the hand-held so I can use it on other cars as well as my brothers and friends cars with carb's. As long as you have an O2 bung in the exhaust you can use this to help troubleshoot and tune anything. One of my friends is getting ready to put a single side draft on his 2002 and this will help him with proper jetting for his set-up.

MJ

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post

Looks very clean! Question about the routing of the wiring harness coming from under the fusebox (near fuel pump relay): does it go between the battery and the front air cleaner mount or it goes between front and rear air cleaner mounts? I believe it supposed to be clamped to the inner fender somewhere below air cleaner?

I was just looking at mine and PO must have routed it wrong as it was rubbing on the air cleaner mount. I am not sure how it's supposed to be routed.

Thanks,
    Max

Max - The wiring from the engine to the fusebox sneaks around the front airbox mount. It is a tight fit and almost seems wrong...and yes there should be cable ties that secure the wiring bundle to the inner fender liner. These are an adjustable "hook" style tie that slide over the small tabs welded into the body and are still available from BMW.

Part number: 12 32 1 276 231

#22 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0873

I tried to take a couple of pics so you can see the routing on my car:

Hope this helps!

MJ

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Outstanding work MJ!!! Love where you have gone with your build.

Thank you for taking the time to do the posts and show your steps, I know how much work this can be.
    OLD MAN - thank you for the kind words. I think this is one of the best forum groups out there and everyone shares so much great info....I hope my info helps someone looking to do similar work in the future.

I also must thank you for sharing the info on the exhaust set-up that you had made in the past. I used it as an inspiration for the system I installed on my car and it turned out great. Pics of that to come shortly.

MJ

My Cars
    82 E21
    As I said in a prior post, I used OLD MAN's exhaust system as an inspiration for my custom system.

I used a DynoMax 17741 super turbo muffler, high flow cat. converter and Hedman 17401 tips to finish it off. Luckily we have an old school muffler shop in town that has the knowledge and ability to do custom systems on anything. No, unfortunately they do not have a mandrel bender, however we tried to make up for that in the layout of the exhaust.

We went 2.5" from the header collector to the discharge of the converter (a 2.5" unit) and from there transitioned into 2.25" back to the muffler (a 2.25" unit) and then to the tips (2.25" inlet as well). The nice thing about the DynoMax muffler is that it fits the factory muffler hanger perfectly.

The following pics are from my phone and taken in the exhaust shop so the lighting is not awesome but you'll get the idea.

My car originally had an Ansa cat-back system so my goal was to make the new exhaust look as similar as possible from the back of the car. For many years Ansa sold exhaust tips that looked just like those on their full systems - unfortunately no more. The closest I could find were the Hedman tips....but boy are they expensive....in the end I think it was worth the extra cost and I think I was successful keeping the correct look.

I am really pleased with the sound, it has a nice deep tone with no rasp or drone at highway speed. Loud enough to be sporty but not over the top...I'll try to get a video at some point in the future once I get through break-in and finalize the odd's and end's left on the project.

MJ

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Nice job on the exhaust! Looking good. Getting the system over the rear subframe is a fun little piece of work!

I would suggest you have a couple of cross braces welded to the front "S" pipe mount on the tube, that was my first and only failure so far on my original system on my 80is.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 09-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    '78 320i
    So awesome. I love those headers too . Im considering getting mine ceramic coated as well for the M42. Loving these builds loading up the front page!

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Max,,, MJ Seeing your engine harness plug wiring I decided to check mine, Mine has a clip on the on the wheel well wall inside the engine bay and the engine plug harness goes behind the Air Cleaner box from the Relay/Fuse Box. More than one way to route the engine plug harness. The Wiring on his 82 is accommodate the diagnostic plug on the engine,,where on mine diagnostic plug is in the relay/fuse box , thus the wiring differences on where they run..

DSCI0096.JPG

Nice work on the exhaust, looks really good.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-23-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast