Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What steering wheels are we using?

My Cars
    1997 540i/6 1995 M3

What steering wheels are we using?

One of the mods I have on my list is picking up an aftermarket wheel. I am a big F1 fan and to pay homage to the 80s and 90s glory years I want to get a Personal wheel like this one:

but without the highlight stitching.

Not married to the idea though. Some of the BMW OEM wheels look nice too. I don't particularly care about keeping the airbag.

So what has everybody tried?

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    I've been running the stock 4 spoke since I bought the car, but I recently ordered a rewrapped euro 3 spoke from Anjeas (he also has an ebay store)... Had him swap out the airbag for the traditional roundel. Currently waiting for it to arrive.

wheel1.jpg

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    in my M3 i have a Personal just like you pictured except smooth leather and black stitching. i love it. i'd only give it up for a dished OMP or Sparco just to get it a smidge closer to me. (i don't like the look of hub extenders)
    i have a Raid 310mm and a Nardi polished/oak that have yet to find their way into the 328i. but it's nice to have options.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1997 540i/6 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Reprisal View Post
    I've been running the stock 4 spoke since I bought the car, but I recently ordered a rewrapped euro 3 spoke from Anjeas (he also has an ebay store)... Had him swap out the airbag for the traditional roundel. Currently waiting for it to arrive.

wheel1.jpg
    that looks sick. I like the the "oem option" look and feel of that

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    in my M3 i have a Personal just like you pictured except smooth leather and black stitching. i love it. i'd only give it up for a dished OMP or Sparco just to get it a smidge closer to me. (i don't like the look of hub extenders)
    i have a Raid 310mm and a Nardi polished/oak that have yet to find their way into the 328i. but it's nice to have options.
    nardis are so nice but everybody around here has one

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    I'm running a $30 one from eBay and I love it!

SW-8903DP-350-SU-RD.jpg

Let the hate begin! Lol
    how does it feel? 30 is mighty cheap for a wheel

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It feels really good. It's actual thick suede leather cover material, and the spokes are a nice thick aluminum. If anything the rim of the wheel could have a little bit more padding under the leather, and the cross section of it could be a bit more oval rather than round, but overall I like it (irrespective of price).

The down sides on top of what I already mentioned are that the center cover is some cheap looking plastic stuff with something like a carbon fiber texture molded onto it, and the fact that since it's direct from China via eBay, everyone says it's going break at an inopportune time. So far though, it feels nice and sturdy. I ain't skeeert. Haha

Oh, and it appears the price is up a bit on wheels like this now. Up to $35-39.99 shipped lol.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    that looks sick. I like the the "oem option" look and feel of that
    Yeah, I like that's it's an OEM style, yet has a few custom touches to set it off.

My Cars
    1997 540i/6 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Reprisal View Post
    Yeah, I like that's it's an OEM style, yet has a few custom touches to set it off.
    I found that guy on eBay but there was nothing in his store. Do you have to know somebody that knows him to get in touch? May I ask how much he's charging?

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Looks like he has a few wheels up...

www.ebay.com/usr/andri-zakus

I'll shoot you his e-mail address via PM. He will probably cut you a little bit of a break if you go via PayPal.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    I also have a custom wrapped euro steering wheel, which has a flat bottom. Really wanted to get a vintage AC Schnitzer steering wheel to complement the rest of the car but the thought of driving a car without an airbag deterred me from doing so.

Jon
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    1997 540i/6 1995 M3
    ^^ that looks incredible too. Might have to go with the Euro after seeing these two.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Here's my euro wheel I just ordered from Anjeas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    99 528i Sport

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I also have a custom wrapped euro steering wheel, which has a flat bottom. Really wanted to get a vintage AC Schnitzer steering wheel to complement the rest of the car but the thought of driving a car without an airbag deterred me from doing so.

Jon

AC Schnitzer did an airbag wheel for the E36, better yet, it used the same base model as the one you're having now.

They did a wood and carbon version.

I personally use my stock M airbag wheel, modified with MFL controls and this summer I want to add paddle shifters.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    I have the 3 spoke wheel as well, but no controls. Any write ups on the process you went through to add those? Pretty neat idea!
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    I have the 3 spoke wheel as well, but no controls. Any write ups on the process you went through to add those? Pretty neat idea!
    Look in the E36 DIY section. This mod has been tried and tested for over 10 years. It's all PnP.

The setup is.

Cruise Control needs more steps and the phone is not used in the US.

On mine all buttons work.

IG:

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    I wanted the euro 3 spoke but then read that its decently wider than the US 3 spoke, like odd feeling big. Can anyone comment on how the larger size feels?

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Haven't installed it yet.

Turbo E36 M3 with all the things..

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Yes. You're exactly correct.

I use what I have now because I couldn't find an AC Schnitzer version. I like the way mine has the extra leather padding, as it's very comfortable to grip.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post

Jon

AC Schnitzer did an airbag wheel for the E36, better yet, it used the same base model as the one you're having now.

They did a wood and carbon version.

I personally use my stock M airbag wheel, modified with MFL controls and this summer I want to add paddle shifters.

08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    I wanted the euro 3 spoke but then read that its decently wider than the US 3 spoke, like odd feeling big. Can anyone comment on how the larger size feels?
    It's either smaller or equal, but definitely not larger.

IG:

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post

how does it feel? 30 is mighty cheap for a wheel
    They are cheap because they are pieces of shit that will kill you in a front end collision.

- - - Updated - - -

It's either smaller or equal, but definitely not larger.
    US spec is 375mm
    Euro spec non-M 3 spoke is 385mm

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

I like that one.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post

US spec is 375mm
    Euro spec non-M 3 spoke is 385mm
    yeah I'm aware of EU wheel sizes, I had them all. The 3-spoke M airbag wheel is 375mm as well.

IG:

My Cars
    98 M3
    That wasn't what the person was asking. The euro/US M3 3 spoke is identical. He was talking about the euro only 3 spoke wheel being larger than the M3 (US and euro) 3 spoke wheel.
    Last edited by notMpowered; 02-06-2017 at 06:39 PM.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    They are cheap because they are pieces of shit that will kill you in a front end collision.
    Not to belabor this discussion of cheap crappy steering wheels too much in a thread about nice ones, but mine certainly is not like the one in that video. It feels very strong and solid, and appears to be the same material thickness and shape as that OMP one the dude in the video got to replace his. Mine is more like the one the dork in this video is discussing:

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    good enough for sock hat wearing 110lb (50kg) hipsters, good enough for me.

LOL. i kid.

a dished wheel will be stronger than a flat wheel regardless of its manufacturer....unless it's a Grip Royal. i'm pretty sure even the muscle man in that last video could pretzel up one of those janky pieces of poop.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast