Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: newbie help please - how to fix chipped, scraped paint?

My Cars
    04 330ci convertible

newbie help please - how to fix chipped, scraped paint?

hi,

i've had my beloved e46 less than three months and she's already taking a beating in public parking lots. it's not just scratches. the paint is scraped off

what's the best way to touch up these kinds of chips and scars?

this one's a few centimeters and the worst due to the raised texture at the top:

these are just chips, a couple millimeters, but visible:

any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    04 330ci convertible
    ...i may have posted this in the wrong forum. should i repost it in detailing?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Hi Sleepyfox,

I've owned my beloved Boston Green e36 M3 for just two months, and I'm REALLY surprised at how many little scratches and nicks I've accumulated in just the same way you're describing. It's so frustrating! In my case, one of the main culprits is tree sap that comes down from several nearby trees in our neighborhood. I've been puzzling over how tiny paint chips keep appearing on my hood - at first I thought this must be mostly from doing a lot of fast driving through mountain passes, with lots of little rocks and bugs flying up and impacting the hood and front bumper/grill. But it turns out little tiny, sometimes pin-sized, droplets of sap have been getting stuck to the hood, so that when I wash it sometimes little paint chips come off with the sap. And then, as you pointed out, there's the dreaded parking lot scratches. The first time I ever parked my new car in a parking lot, there was a new almost five inch long scratch on the front passenger quarter panel when I got back to the car.

My main advice would be to get a good car cover if you don't already have one, if you're not able to garage the car. As far as how to fix the chips and scratches, that's something I'm currently looking into myself... whenever I find more info, I'll be sure to pass it along...

Hope this helps,
    (Even though I only made one obvious suggestion, lol),

C.D.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Here are some resources I've just found...

https://www.drcolorchip.com

...plus a video about how to use the kits sold on that site...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKeQGknDn_w

Looking good...