Thread: DEFINITIVE view on coding s/h LCMs ?

My Cars
    1999 540i6

DEFINITIVE view on coding s/h LCMs ?

I've spent ages looking at this and other BM forums but found conflicting advice ...

My UK car is a low mileage (50K) 540i/6. 9/1999 manuf. - registered in 2000. Standard halogen headlights w/manual adjust.
    I've just got hold of some facelift rear CELIS lights so started reading about LCMs and recoding.

Some posters say you can do it with an LCM 3, others say you must have an LCM 3B or LCM 4.

Not checked what version of LCM is in the car yet
    [- with the 'new' lights came a perfect but unusable "LCM-4 Auto-LWR" for zenons on an '02/'03 car ].

Finally found this :- "They're *all* recodable. Just there aren't any useful options on the pre 09/01 units".

I only want to tell LCD/check system that I have fitted LED tails.
    Last edited by 540i6UK; 02-03-2017 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by 540i6UK View Post
    I've spent ages looking at this and other BM forums but found conflicting advice ...

My UK car is a low mileage (50K) 540i/6. 9/1999 manuf. - registered in 2000. Standard halogen headlights w/manual adjust.
    I've just got hold of some facelift rear CELIS lights so started reading about LCMs and recoding.

Some posters say you can do it with an LCM 3, others say you must have an LCM 3B or LCM 4.

Not checked what version of LCM is in the car yet
    [- with the 'new' lights came a perfect but unusable "LCM-4 Auto-LWR" for zenons on an '02/'03 car ].

Finally found this :- "They're *all* recodable. Just there aren't any useful options on the pre 09/01 units".

I only want to tell LCD/check system that I have fitted LED tails.
    Why would the LCM-4 Auto-LWR not work? It's an added feature for any car with xenons. If your car has the separate LWR module, then when you code the LCM-4, it just disables the built-in LWR and uses the external one that is already in your car. The LCM 4 without auto LWR was specifically to save a bit of money to leave out some components, but is otherwise identical.

To make the LCM work in your car though, you need PA Soft to change the VIN (aka FGNR) to your car's VIN to avoid the tamper dot and allow it to be coded using NCS Expert/ncsdummy. Once you have the VIN matched, it should get rid of the error message in NCS Expert and you'll be able to use a reset profile to code it to the defaults for your car. Once that's done, you can use ncsdummy to code the LED tail light option.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention that if your car didn't have xenons to begin with, when you code the LCM4 to defaults for your car, it should disable the auto LWR function anyways and work fine. It is meant to be the replacement that BMW installs as a replacement for the older units and is backward compatible.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    +1 to whatever Blackknight530i says. He helped me code a used LCMIIIB I purchased on eBay for facelift tails in my 2000 528iT. Thanks again, BK!
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
    +1 to whatever Blackknight530i says. He helped me code a used LCMIIIB I purchased on eBay for facelift tails in my 2000 528iT. Thanks again, BK!
    You're welcome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

Dwin is offline Go Big or Go Home......
    My Cars
    98 528i
    Ok so I have come across some led tails the ones with the three led's on the side. I have a 98 528 build date of 4/98 I want to install these tail lights but have no way of coding or anything. I have to mention I am completely computer illiterate or better yet was stupid and never showed up for the electrical part of votech so never learned. But if I install them without coding and no ballast what happens besides the check bulb signal on the dash. Will it damage anything or fry out the lights.
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 540i6
    This is adding to the uncertainty. Thanks for trying to help though.

LCM-4 Auto-LWR simply will not work (according to 2 different 5-Series owners elsewhere ...) because my 'halogen car'
    (as stated in first post >> "Standard halogen headlights w/manual adjust.") does not have an automatic headlight adjusting facility or module.

Only the manual arrangement on the dash on my car.

"... any car with zenons" - I don't have or want zenons. (I probably would - if it brightened BOTH beams rather than one ! - but for now I'll use higher output bulbs in the halogens)

As you know, the basic issue is that E39s with LCM-4 Auto-LWR have and need a separate module if zenons are fitted.

Your update says "I should also mention that if your car didn't have xenons to begin with, when you code the LCM4 to defaults for your car, it should disable the auto LWR function anyways and work fine. It is meant to be the replacement that BMW installs as a replacement for the older units and is backward compatible."

But another UK E39 owner reckons that although you CAN disable Auto-LWR function - there is nothing in the LCM4 to be coded to make the manual control work.
    So he was left with only a default setting and no manual adjustability.
    That's what he found and it was confirmed by another E39 owner who had tried to make an LCM4 Auto-LWR work a manual adjuster but then realised it could never work as the components are completely absent from the LCM Auto-LWR circuit board.

So ... can I program an LCM3 - or must I find an LCM 3b or 'LCM 4 With manual control' ?
    Last edited by 540i6UK; 02-04-2017 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    1999 540i6
    - - - Updated - - -

Dwin.

Everything I've read says you WILL ruin the LED section because they will be run over the required voltage. Ballast or resistors MAY help but coding issues are still likely.
    When uncoded - most people seem to run into other light issues in addition to check bulb signal.
    Last edited by 540i6UK; 02-04-2017 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwin View Post
    Ok so I have come across some led tails the ones with the three led's on the side. I have a 98 528 build date of 4/98 I want to install these tail lights but have no way of coding or anything. I have to mention I am completely computer illiterate or better yet was stupid and never showed up for the electrical part of votech so never learned. But if I install them without coding and no ballast what happens besides the check bulb signal on the dash. Will it damage anything or fry out the lights.
    You can send me your LCM for coding I'd you wish. PM me for details.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by 540i6UK View Post
    This is adding to the uncertainty. Thanks for trying to help though.

LCM-4 Auto-LWR simply will not work (according to 2 different 5-Series owners elsewhere ...) because my 'halogen car'
    (as stated in first post >> "Standard halogen headlights w/manual adjust.") does not have an automatic headlight adjusting facility or module.

Only the manual arrangement on the dash on my car.

"... any car with zenons" - I don't have or want zenons. (I probably would - if it brightened BOTH beams rather than one ! - but for now I'll use higher output bulbs in the halogens)

As you know, the basic issue is that E39s with LCM-4 Auto-LWR have and need a separate module if zenons are fitted.

Your update says "I should also mention that if your car didn't have xenons to begin with, when you code the LCM4 to defaults for your car, it should disable the auto LWR function anyways and work fine. It is meant to be the replacement that BMW installs as a replacement for the older units and is backward compatible."

But another UK E39 owner reckons that although you CAN disable Auto-LWR function - there is nothing in the LCM4 to be coded to make the manual control work.
    So he was left with only a default setting and no manual adjustability.
    That's what he found and it was confirmed by another E39 owner who had tried to make an LCM4 Auto-LWR work a manual adjuster but then realised it could never work as the components are completely absent from the LCM Auto-LWR circuit board.

So ... can I program an LCM3 - or must I find an LCM 3b or 'LCM 4 With manual control' ?
    You are misinformed. The LCM with auto LWR has the components for auto LWR built into it, but if coded to not use it, will disable those functions and let it be manually controlled. The earlier lcm 3b and earlier didn't ever have the auto LWR components and had a separate module or didn't use the auto function at all (manual control). The lcm 4 without LWR function just doesn't have the auto LWR components and would either be in manual mode or not use auto LWR at all. It still needs to be coded for what you have though.

-Paul

My Cars
    1999 540i6
    "misinformed" - mightily so it seems ... ***

Well that wouldn't be the first time !
    I very nearly added to my post that 'I might have been given duff info."

I'll be having a go at recoding the LCM4 Auto-LWR then.

Serious thanks for your input blacknight530i.

*** As I'm sure we have all found (or will find) the internet sometimes carries very duff 'info.' [I didn't mention Wikipedia ... ]

Like the English chap who thought that diesels had ignition coils ... or another that told everybody 'the glowplugs are glowing all the time to keep diesels running'
    Last edited by 540i6UK; 02-05-2017 at 01:33 PM.

My Cars
    E32 750i / F10 530i
    I know its an old topic. But I'm still curious if someone ever got an LCM4 with auto LWR build in coded for manual light height adjustment.

I tried everything with a "6 932 559" module and couldn't get it to work. When coded correctly reading the codes from the LCM gives a fault for the headlight adjustment switch in the dashboard giving an invalid voltage.
    The error makes sense as as the LCM with auto LWR uses pin 53 on X10117 for "Automatic beam throw adjustment Supply, load/level sensor" (seems like gnd) while on cars with manual LWR it is the "Signal Beam throw adjustment" (seems like the signal).
    It's probably a placement variant with just a differently placed resistor.

The module I have (6 932 559) is only for auto LWR according to the parts catalogue. The parts catalogue does mention the 61 35 6 961 141 which is applicable to both...be interesting to see the internal changes.

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    I have a 61 35 6 961 141 here.
    Does this help?
    LCM-61356961141-detail.jpgLSM-61356961141.jpg

My Cars
    E32 750i / F10 530i
    Thanks! Now I've got something to compare to mine. Now to get off my backside and take it out of the car :-)

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    What I'm curious about, has anyone installed lcm 4 with lwr and repinned connections to remove lwr module from the car and have lcm do lwr job?

My Cars
    e39 540; X5 50
    Hi all. I have some questions on LCM programming for my 2001 540.6. I replaced my LCM III with a IV off ebay. All good. I've set out the steps I used below in case helpful to anyone.

There are now three things I would love to code. Have searched endlessly and not found clear steps.

1) Angel eyes as DRL (AE on whenever the car is on, no other lights).
    Have seen many comments that this works on a LCM4... There are a ton of references to this working but I have yet to find the actual coding.
    I've tried turning on dimmed high beam (GED FL ALS DRL Aktiv) and then dropping the brightness to zero (FL DIMMUNG ALS DRL set to Wert 01) but that doesn't bring on the AEs. Have tried the various DRL options (held out some hope for Denmark) - none work.
    I understand that I could easily wire a relay to switch them. I also understand there are aftermarket canbus solutions but if those work shouldn't we be able to code directly? I'm wondering if I'm not seeing the option because my build date preceeds the always on AEs (2003?). I did look through the TRC from the LCM4 (X5) to see if it had additional code and didn't see anything.
    Has anyone figured this out.

2) Tap to pass (triple blink with soft blinker touch)
    Again, I believe there are aftermarket CANBUS solutions but I thought the LCM4 would provide this. I'm wondering if the LCM4 will actually give me any additional features...

3) Retrofit auto lights - I've seen a few guides on this and will be keeping an eye on ebay for the switch, prism etc but how does one code this?
    Do I simply turn the code below to Activ?
    AUTOM_FAHRL_STEUERG (AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL (FLC) (SWITCH ON HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATICALLY WHEN DARK)
    This was active on the LCM4 i bought (before i reset) and I got an error to the effect that there was no light sensor so perhaps that's all there is to it?

I also thought I would quickly cover the steps that worked for me - all of this is covered elsewhere but perhaps a quick recap will help others in need. I'm certainly no expert (quite the opposite) so I please forgive any inaccuracies. Just figured I would share what I learned playing with this for the first time.

A) PA Soft handled the VIN and Odo. There are tons of youtube videos on this. Got rid of the tamper dot and made things work. All my lights (including xenon lows) worked fine. But no headlight leveling, no dash light dimming, and a bunch of errors. Essentially PA Soft just fixes the tamper dot and let's you select some options (DRL, cold/hot checks, etc) but it doesn't actually conform the LCM to the new car its in.

B) The next step is what i was missing. I struggled with was what it meant to "code" it in NCS Expert. I tried pulling up the TRC file in Dummy and hunting for options - no love. For those unclear on this, the idea is to do a factory reset. In short, the steps that worked for me are as follows:

1. open INPA to establish connection then quit INPA (NCS didn't connect until i actually quit INPA)
    2. Open NCSEXPER and choose Expert profile (not the Dummy one)
    3. Press f1
    4. Press f3 and choose chassis (e39)
    5. Press F6 (back)
    6. Press f4 to choose module (LCM)
    7. Press f2 (job) and select SG-CODIEREN
    8. Press f3 Execute. This essentially writes the module back to factory based upon your car's build (VO).
    9. Exit

All of this is within NCS Expert. I'm sure this is clear to most but it took me a while to figure that out. After that all the errors were gone, the levelers worked. Success.

I then turned to playing around in Dummy to code specific features

I might as well share those steps since I typed them out for myself:

1. make sure file FSW-PSW.MAN (path: NCSEXPER/WORK) is empty
    2. Open INPA to confirm connection. Quit INPA
    3. Open NCS Expert
    4. File/Load Profile/NCS Dummy
    5. Click F1 lower left (VIN/ZCS)
    6. Click F3 middle button (ZCS/FA) and select e39, select one of ECUs (EWS should be ok). Top should pull in info (VIN)
    7. Click F6 lower right button (Back)
    8. Probably set to SG-CODIEREN (write to all modules). Need to change. Click F4 Process ECU and select module (eg LCM).
    9. Click F2 Change job to CODIERDATEN-LESEN. (Read).
    10. Click F3 Execute job. This writes the coding to the FSW-PSW.TRC file in the WORK folder
    11. Copy paste the TRC file to tools folder and or desktop and then make second copy (I'm not convinced this step is necessary - I don't see why you couldn't just work off the TRC file in WORK folder but certainly worth copying so you have a clean TRC file to go back to)
    12. Open Dummy, select chassis and browse to the TRC file, then select module (try each of the correct module (eg LCM) until check boxes appear - here I think you can get the HW number in NCS Expert but i just tried each - 20 worked for me)
    13. Edit as desired.
    14. Export FSW-PSW.MAN. It will save to the NCSEXPER/WORK folder
    15. Go back to NCS Expert. Leave Dummy open or it will clean the MAN file contents.
    16. Make sure LCM still selected. Click F2 change job SH-CODEIREN. (Write)
    17. Click F3 Execute (this writes the MAN (=Manipulated) data to the module)
    18. Turn on and off ignition.
    19. Delete the text in MAN file (or quit DUMMY and let it do)

Again, this is info that exists in different spots from people that are truly experts. But maybe this simplified version helps.

My Cars
    e39 540; X5 50
    One more thing on the tap to pass (AKA Triple Blink) - I did see that the NCS Dummy manual actually mentions what sounds like the operative code:
    MIND_ANZ_ZYKL_TIPP_BLK
    This bit of code doesn't appear the e39 LCM functions (I'm using 20 but looked at the latest one (24) and it's not there either).
    Is it possible to somehow add this?

My Cars
    2000 323i/ 2003 X5
    Caan someone help me find detailed information regarding 323i ews delete I need the dummy down version 😫 lost all my keys to 323i and my x5 3.0 as in what all do I need to complete this?? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND INFO !!!!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by 323IX5BMW View Post
    Caan someone help me find detailed information regarding 323i ews delete I need the dummy down version  lost all my keys to 323i and my x5 3.0 as in what all do I need to complete this?? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND INFO !!!!
    This thread has nothing to do with EWS deletes, so not sure what made you post in here. That said, check out ms4x.net for information that might help you.

-Paul