Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quarts of coolant in the driveway this evening...

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    FCP Euro has been amazing, but based on your location, check out Pelican Parts which is out in your neck of the country.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    FCP Euro has been amazing, but based on your location, check out Pelican Parts which is out in your neck of the country.
    ThanksVaTech! I have been perusing their stuff...even if just to get help with figuring out some odd this or that. Their instructional content are great from what I've seen so far.

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    If you're new to the e36 chassis, I'd recommend you get a Bentley Manual to go with the car. Super helpful!
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    If you're new to the e36 chassis, I'd recommend you get a Bentley Manual to go with the car. Super helpful!
    I actually picked one up the few days before taking delivery of her...I was THAT pumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Be forewarned... some of the torque specs in that Bentley manual are incorrect.

The one that got me was the water pump nuts. Bent manual spec is 22 NM... I snapped one at around 20 while watching my digital torque converter. Oh, the bfc guys tell me, look at that tiny stud - 10 NM, tops.

Took me a lot of heat, penetrating oil, and broken easy-outs to finally get that SOB out - along with removing the bumper, nose panel, radiator support, and radiator to get clear access.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Be forewarned... some of the torque specs in that Bentley manual are incorrect.

The one that got me was the water pump nuts. Bent manual spec is 22 NM... I snapped one at around 20 while watching my digital torque converter. Oh, the bfc guys tell me, look at that tiny stud - 10 NM, tops.
    I had to go back and check this since I just did this job and I used the Bentley torque values; you had me worried I might have overtorqued my new stewart pump. The guide was even still open to page 170-10/11 on my bench. The specs in the guide say 10Nm for the M6 nuts that the e36 uses (4 of them) to hold the water pump to the timing cover. The next line below that says 22Nm for M8 (which is a size that doesn't exist in this location and shouldn't be used). I suspect that is an inadvertent carryover from the thermostat housing section on the prior page, which uses 3 M6 bolts and one M8 (through the bottom part of the engine lift hook). Since none of the studs/nuts on the water pump are M8 (at least not in my '97), that 22Nm torque value probably shouldn't be listed in that box, but the correct values are labeled "M6" vs. "M8".
    Cosmos / Amaretta - '97 ///M3

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherhaus View Post
    I had to go back and check this since I just did this job and I used the Bentley torque values; you had me worried I might have overtorqued my new stewart pump. The guide was even still open to page 170-10/11 on my bench. The specs in the guide say 10Nm for the M6 nuts that the e36 uses (4 of them) to hold the water pump to the timing cover. The next line below that says 22Nm for M8 (which is a size that doesn't exist in this location and shouldn't be used). I suspect that is an inadvertent carryover from the thermostat housing section on the prior page, which uses 3 M6 bolts and one M8 (through the bottom part of the engine lift hook). Since none of the studs/nuts on the water pump are M8 (at least not in my '97), that 22Nm torque value probably shouldn't be listed in that box, but the correct values are labeled "M6" vs. "M8".
    Aha! You are correct. 10mn is the correct torque for the M6.

Wow, I broke my stud by reading the wrong value. facepalm dot jog.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12