Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarts of coolant in the driveway this evening...

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3

Quarts of coolant in the driveway this evening...

Well, I have sprung a leak. Can't for the life of me figure it out...having a hell of a time finding a coolant diagram that seems like it matches mine. I believe the leak is coming from the tube that is behind (toward the cab) the throttle body inputs or one of the two coming out of the bottom of it but it clearly sprayed every where as it took me a grip to centralize the source. Anyone have a good diagram for a US 1995 M3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Thank you. Mine looks signifigantly different, but perhaps it's just that I'm not used to the scale. Think I'll replace everything in there anyway - no telling how old those hoses are.

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    I isolated it to a leak from the head-side of the cylinder head to throttle body line. Question now is:

I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere...and particular I'm looking for a silicon set in all white...anyone ever come across a full silicon set in white (all TB, heater core, maybe could do without the Spider configuration but...). I was planning on getting white vacuums and white plug wires if possible...just seems like that isn't a well-produced color other than on the upper/lower Rad hoses.

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkM3 View Post
    Think I'll replace everything in there anyway - no telling how old those hoses are.
    This is a good plan... the cooling systems on these cars are ticking time bombs if you haven't done em yet. Aluminum radiator, Stewart EMP pump, new hoses all around.

Nice user name BTW!

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    This is a good plan... the cooling systems on these cars are ticking time bombs if you haven't done em yet. Aluminum radiator, Stewart EMP pump, new hoses all around.

Nice user name BTW!
    Rock chalk!!!!

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    I isolated it to a leak from the head-side of the cylinder head to throttle body line. Question now is:

I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere...and particular I'm looking for a silicon set in all white...anyone ever come across a full silicon set in white (all TB, heater core, maybe could do without the Spider configuration but...). I was planning on getting white vacuums and white plug wires if possible...just seems like that isn't a well-produced color other than on the upper/lower Rad hoses.

OE...
    -Chris

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    Seems like your throttle body heater hoses have taken a dump. I've never seen anyone make those in a silicone line, but maybe there are some out there. I'd just replace with some fresh OE lines.

Your biggest worry would be figuring out how to replace those lines without having to pull the manifold off =)
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    I was just taking note of that myself...that's the only way to get the head-side out is from pulling the top of the upper mani off, isn't it?

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Yep, and while you've taking the intake manifold off you might as well get new gaskets for it and clean/replace the injectors, and get new fuel hoses (and clamps) and fuel filter, etc, etc. And don't forget the throttle body gasket, and maybe new throttle cable if the old one's rubbers are gone. It's endless fun.

On Real-Oem, there's two pages that cover the cooling:

- the radiator page http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...6-BMW-M3&mg=17

- and the engine water hoses page http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_1142

There are a total of 10 coolant hoses (plus the expansion tank) to obtain and install, the worst are the ones to the heater core as the BMW rookie-CAD-jockey engineers left zero space for the clamps.
    And it's your call to get new clamps for the hoses, I cleaned and re-used more than half but some were stripped by my car's PO.
    Only the two traditional radiator inlet & outlet hoses are visible, the rest can be basic black and nobody will see them.

If you go Aluminum Radiator, then you may want to go Electric Fan. If you do that, be sure and get a kit with a shroud and fan mount. I screwed that up and ended up ghetto-hacking a shroud.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    I would also suggest NOT doing the fan delete mod. CO Springs is going to be hot enough in the summer that you might run into issues while you aren't moving.

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Appreciate all that Theodore & JEC928. The PO actually installed an electric fan and aluminum radiator, so that is done. The injectors were put in 48k ago...I reckon it wouldn't hurt to replace them. The issue I'd have is: PO also has a chip installed and 24# injectors...which seem awfully big to me. If I were to drop those to 21.5#'s I'd probably need to have a new chip turned, correct? I'm only assuming the current is set for 24#'ers...

I'll go with a full set of hoses and clamps, gaskets, etc. etc. just because I'm fidgeting with it...I've replaced the upper and lower mani's on a few of my Silverado trucks and found after the first time through that it's best to go ahead and do all of that while you are disrupting things.

I also have a Fuel Filter and rails that are NIB and came with it when I bought her...and just ordered upper/lower Silicon Rad hoses in white. I reckon those will do - I guess I need to chisel out some time to crack into her. This used to be a lot more of a headache when I was young and only had one car, haha...now I just need to find soemone with tiny hands to trade me out...I understand BMW did not leave much room to dilly dally in there...

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    Pulling the manifold is really not that hard of a job. 11mm deep well socket gets almost all of them. The tricky part is getting the cowling off under the windshield were the blower motor sits so you can access the cylinder 6 nuts, which I access with a swivel joint, and then finagle the manifold out once you disconnect everything else underneath it.

Just be careful when you pull the main manifold vacuum line, it's like 1" diameter and is in the middle under the throttle body. There is a little clip on the end of that which can be a bitch to disconnect.

Regarding the fuel injectors, those should be fine, but you can replace the gasket o-rings on them if they're looking trashed. Obviously a few ways to approach the repair...just fix what needs to be fixed, fix the big items, fix/replace every little thing under the manifold. I think I can get the manifold off in 20-30mins so it's not as daunting a task if I need to get back in there to fix something else. You gotta draw the line somewhere, lol, or you're going to drive yourself insane.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    You gotta draw the line somewhere, lol, or you're going to drive yourself insane.
    Isn't that just the truth!!

I drove it yesterday and today without running the heater and it didn't spill a drop of coolant… Lost about a half quart two days ago. Seems odd to me that would be triggering the throttle body cable to leak… Maybe I need to look a little closer and see if it is coming from that instead...though I don't know that it's an easier to Get to. This is my first M3 or e36 so I am not as familiar with that bay as I'd like to be.

Thanks for all the information, I think I will get it off the ground this weekend and take a good look from underneath to make sure I am pinpointing the right spot. I have a buddy with a 1987 Toyota Celica GT four, we were going to cruise up to Woodland Park for a quick brewski... Think I will just take a jug with me and make a few stops intermittently to check. Haven't put many miles on it since I found the leak.

Also; this thing came with green coolant… Barely. It was mostly water, while I am clearing that system out think I should go with BMW blue instead? Just give it a good three or four run-throughs with just water to clear it out?

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Maybe I need to look a little closer and see if it is coming from that instead...

The heater core lines, that is...

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    The heater core lines, that is...

So I just realized I was wrong about which connecter...it is the one that goes throttle body to the "octopus" line...part 11531738053 (see pic). Is that accessible by leaving the mani on and just clearing some of the top-of-house stuff (throttle body, thermostat, etc.)? Thanks a million guys!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    So I just realized I was wrong about which connecter...it is the one that goes throttle body to the "octopus" line...part 11531738053 (see pic). Is that accessible by leaving the mani on and just clearing some of the top-of-house stuff (throttle body, thermostat, etc.)? Thanks a million guys!

I would wager that it's not going to be easy getting that out without removing the intake manifold. I just replaced the O-Rings for the 4 way hose on my S52 (which has a metal pipe instead of rubber one like yours) and it was quite difficult to get out even with the manifold removed. Maybe because yours is soft and flexible you can get a better angle on it than I could.

I actually have a brand-new Rein brand 4 way coolant hose (11531738053) I mistakenly bought for my car (realoem sucks sometimes) that I'll sell you for cheap + shipping if you want. This is the hose I bought: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rein-par...531738053~ren/.

After fixing your hose problem I'd flush with a few gallons of distilled water and then add in the proper mix of BMW blue+distilled water (50/50).

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicisair View Post

I actually have a brand-new Rein brand 4 way coolant hose (11531738053) I mistakenly bought for my car (realoem sucks sometimes) that I'll sell you for cheap + shipping if you want. This is the hose I bought: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rein-par...531738053~ren/.
    Yeah; I'd just as soon support a member as I would a company that has already gotten their due. PM me with your location/what you think is reasonable get-back on that. I will flush after..reckon I may as well just get everything to replace all hoses, gaskets, etc. and go back to the original plan of opening it all up. Thanks!

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    That is probably the best bet. Just stick with replacing the coolant lines, and the intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket since those will be coming off. I wouldn't mess with the injectors if you aren't having any issues. Clean them up when you pop them all out so everything is clean with you put it back together.

I'd also lube them up with maybe silicone spray so they install easier and seat properly. I've run into issues in the past with them not seating the way they need to and having fuel blow out lol.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Anyone have a preferred distributor for said gaskets or found a good "kit" out there with just mani (not head gasket...etc. etc.). Injectors are relatively new - I will give them a good cleaning along with anything else I see in there. Thanks for everyone's information - it is much appreciated. Probably going to be looking for Cam upgrade options in the future, figure I'll wait to do any "deeper" gaskets and cleaning for when that comes during the summer.

Jesse

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Throttle body gasket

Intake Mani Gasket(s)

Anything else (other than the coolant hoses) anyone can think of that should be done while I'm in there? Any throttle body upgrades, etc. etc. that would be useful to a guy while I'm going to be in there anyway?

My Cars
    M3
    Yeah manifold first time sucks. I've got mine off in a record time of 5 minutes. Although not everything was put back stock

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Throttle body gasket

Intake Mani Gasket(s)

Anything else (other than the coolant hoses) anyone can think of that should be done while I'm in there? Any throttle body upgrades, etc. etc. that would be useful to a guy while I'm going to be in there anyway?
    All new fuel lines in engine compartment! Better safe than sorry.

One common, though of questionable value, upgrade is to connect with a double-male hose barb the two small coolant hoses that enter and exit the bottom of the throttle body so that the coolant bypasses the TB completely.
    The TB's coolant passage is only there for "de-icing", so my Texas car is fine without it - now the incoming air gets 0.001 degrees less heat from the hot coolant so I make 0.00001 more horsepower (butt dyno proven).
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    TB might be worth it for you. Based on your mods, are you trying to stay all motor? Seems like it fits with your other mods. IIRC there was just a thread on stock vs Dinan vs another company...

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    TB might be worth it for you. Based on your mods, are you trying to stay all motor? Seems like it fits with your other mods. IIRC there was just a thread on stock vs Dinan vs another company...
    For now: yes. Ultimately I'd like to go to the cost and trouble of putting a euro in...if one ever pops up shipped at a not-outrageous cost. Just buy and rebuild while I still run the stock 50. I'm sold on the fuel system. Will look into upgraded (Dinan?) TB's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast