Thread: First BMW purchase and need help

My Cars
    Audi's

First BMW purchase and need help

My local dealership in Charlotte NC has a new 2015 328i sitting on the lot for 44,030.
    Included packages are Tech, Premium, Sport Line with Venetian Beige and the driver Assistance Package.
    one picture shows the car possibly has only 13 miles on it.
    My questions are, why has this vehicle not sold? :-) and is it worth the asking price or should i whittle them down some more?
    Ill be trading my '15 A3 for either this, or the '17 A4

http://www.hendrickbmwcharlotte.com/...1c3d3b7506.htm

thanks ahead of time for the replies

My Cars
    99 M3
    Color combo might not appeal to a lot of people? Might chat them up and get a lower price.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-31-2017 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    2016 Audi A4, BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyEdward View Post
    I think, you need to ask them more for the lower price. In my favorite car leasing , they have only $39, 345 MSRP for the BMW 3 Series 328i. You can find it here to confirm, https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...ease-488-mo-6/. They have also the trade-in service. You can check it out. Surely, you can get some ideas here. I recommend this to you because I have proven their great service when I leased my BMW 5 Series 530i. Good luck to you!
    Thank you for your advice

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by jthessin View Post
    My questions are, why has this vehicle not sold?
    That's the interesting question to me, since it's two model years old now and looks to be a highly desirable, well-loaded car (and definitely with only 13 miles).

I don't know how dealers do these things, but maybe it's been a showroom model or something? Good luck negotiating down; it's a new car with delivery miles, with an MSRP of $51k as optioned; the base price of $38k for a '15 328i is a moot point compared to this fully-loaded car.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '05 Z4 3.0i
    Even though it is "new", it has two model years of depreciation if you resell. I would need more than 20% off to consider. Realistically, once you drive off the lot with it being a 2015, your resell is likely 30% or more off list.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Maybe it hasn't sold due to being a 2.0L 4Cyl? Most prefer 6Cyl power.
    I have to question the BMW warranty, as that can definitely scare off buyers of 2yr old inventory.
    Does the warranty period begin, and become effective on the delivery date to the buyer, OR-
    On the build date, OR-Date received or registered to dealer? Get the specifics in writing before agreeing to purchase.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Based on the negatives, if accurate:
    2.0L 4Cyl
    Possible warranty issues 2yr?
    Depreciation 20-30%?
    = $35~38,000 would be my target price-but just my opinion.
    If they balk, I would still keep my offer under $41,000.
    I would consider my upper limit 38~40k only if they completely eliminated one negative-
    Extended my BMW FACTORY warranty-AND-not with an AFTERMARKET warranty company!
    At no additional charge above my offer, of course!!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^Warranty and depreciation are valid points, but the smaller engine/output models typically outsell the larger ones by at least 2 to 1.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    2015 328i
    Why not take the money for this one and add a little bit more and get a new one? Is this a CPO "elite"?

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by jthessin View Post
    My local dealership in Charlotte NC has a new 2015 328i sitting on the lot for 44,030.
    Included packages are Tech, Premium, Sport Line with Venetian Beige and the driver Assistance Package.
    one picture shows the car possibly has only 13 miles on it.
    My questions are, why has this vehicle not sold? :-) and is it worth the asking price or should i whittle them down some more?
    Ill be trading my '15 A3 for either this, or the '17 A4

http://www.hendrickbmwcharlotte.com/...1c3d3b7506.htm

thanks ahead of time for the replies
    That seems like a total rip off to me. OK--it's got 13 miles and it's sold like it's new, but in fact, the car's 2 years old, and doesn't even have the Lighting Package.

You should reach out to find out more about this car, but there has to be a lot more negotiating room in that price. You could get a much better '16 CPO Elite with 5,000 miles or less, better equipped, for a few thousand less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Maybe it hasn't sold due to being a 2.0L 4Cyl? Most prefer 6Cyl power.
    I have to question the BMW warranty, as that can definitely scare off buyers of 2yr old inventory.
    Does the warranty period begin, and become effective on the delivery date to the buyer, OR-
    On the build date, OR-Date received or registered to dealer? Get the specifics in writing before agreeing to purchase.
    Maybe you should look at 320/328/330 428/430 sales figures as compared to 335/340 435/440? Maybe most "prefer" 6 cylinder power; most "buy" the four.

And, what warranty in the auto industry starts on the "build date"??? None. Warranties start on the original in-service date. So if this car has never been registered or put into service, the warranty starts with OP's purchase; if it's a CPO, the warranty started when it was first registered.
    Last edited by tex2670; 02-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That is what I was suggesting he determine, before he negotiated and agreed on price.

My Cars
    '12 BMW 328i Luxury Line
    Just for the record, the 245 hp 255 ft/lb 4-cylinder turbo is freaking amazing! Powerful, reliable and fuel efficient.

I think that's a fair price for a new '15, full loaded no less! I would bargain them down a few thousand and drive off with it.

Who cares about depreciation if you plan to keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off?

As others have said, you could spend less for a low mileage example that is also fully loaded. One thing is for certain, the lighting package is a real bonus! Not a deal breaker, but nice to have.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    It helps ^ when the power numbers are typical, modern German under-rated numbers. Though so are the N55 numbers...
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    2016 BMW 340i M-Sport
    ummmm...... No.

First off..... I don't care how many miles it has..... it's 2 years old. Look up the value of a 2 year old used model..... THAT is what the car is worth as soon as you drive it off the lot. I guarantee it isn't anywhere close to that price.

2nd..... have you really looked close at a 3 series WITHOUT the lighting package? They look "cheap".... and in my opinion.... they look like they are missing something.

I'd be willing to bet that the lighting package is why it hasn't sold.

Wait until about the 10th time you get asked "Why doesn't your car have the headlight rings?"...... and then you'll question why you bought a BMW.... that doesn't have the most characteristic option that "makes" it a BMW.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 02-17-2017 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 340i M-Sport
    By the way..... just as a 2nd thought...... don't be scared of the 2.0 motor..... it's a great little motor, with plenty of power.

in fact, my last car was a 14 328i (I was smart enough to get one with the lighting package.... but it had almost no other options.... but that's what I had to do to get it in my price range)

Eventually..... I wanted nav, and a backup camera, and a better stereo.... and the msport body.... blah blah blah..... so I took the plunge.... and bough a fully loaded 16 340i msport.

Anyway..... I don't notice "much" of a power increase daily driving..... only if I "push" it do I really notice the difference. That's great and all.... but how often are you really "pushing" it?

Secondly.... my 328 was lighter.... more nimble.... and more fun to swing around curves. My 340 has the adaptive suspension... and the track/handling package.... my 328 had neither.... and it was STILL more fun in the twisties.

my 340 feels "nose heavy" and "sluggish" in the twisties by comparison.

I went from a poorly optioned 328i, to a fully loaded 340i msport. Obviously I still prefer my 340 because it's SO much more car...... but I do miss the "nimble" feeling of my 328.

Looking back.... the "main" reasons I traded up.... was the fact the hi-fi stereo was absolute garbage... so I needed the Harmon/ Kardon system. Secondly, I really liked the looks of the msport body vs. the standard. Honestly.... the other stuff is nice, but wasn't a top priority. If I could do it all again.... I'd probably buy a 328i with lighting, harmon kardon, and msport option.

In my opinion.... your first priorities should be exactly those. I replaced all 7 speakers and both subs with bavsound upgrades in my 328i.... and my current stock harmon kardon still sounds better. The H/K stereo isn't a "slight" upgrade..... it is a HUGE upgrade. I cannot believe the significant difference in quality.... it's night and day, literally. Also, while my 328i had almost no options... at "least" it had the halo headlights..... so it looked beautiful.

Again.... don't feel like you're skimping by buying a 4cyl.... they are GREAT motors.

But..... if you skimp on the lighting option... or the harmon kardon...... you will regret it.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 02-17-2017 at 10:40 AM.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328i
    Before you buy this one. Take a look in kbb.com and see what is available. Right now 2014 are going off lease and they are priced in the sweet spot.

One other suggestion BMW don't seem to be so popular in Los Angeles area, plug in bmw 2014 328i using zip 91761 and 100 mile radius. You might save enough money that a trip out to California will make sense.

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    $30k

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    nothing wrong with the 328i motor, I test drove a few.

How can they expect to get a new car price for a 2 ( soon 3) year old car.

My suggestion is $30k as an opener, you might wind up paying more, no where near $44k, way less than $40k