Thread: How to remove rear brake rotors on E36?

My Cars
    99 740i Sport

How to remove rear brake rotors on E36?

I have already replaced my rear brake pads (which was quite the challenge I might say), and now its time to do the rotors. I remember how to take apart the entire caliper and remove it, but once I get there is when I get stuck. So the caliper is completely removed and I am just looking at the rotor. There is a star pattern bolt, but I don't think that is what is holding the rotor on.

I need to remove these rotors ASAP, they are past their wear limit. I need to know how to get the rotor completely off once the caliper has been removed.

TIA

Poke
    1999 BMW 740i Sport Black/Tan

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Between one of the log bolt holes is a allen head retaining screw counter sunk into the face of the rotor. Hit it with some PB blaster then remove it. The rotor will likely be stuck to the hub, so hit it squarely from behind with a BF hammer. They fall off after a few wacks. Make sure your parking brake is RELEASED.

My Cars
    99 740i Sport
    So there is only 1 screw (and some rust) holding the rotor onto the hub? Alright, when my new rotors finally arrive I will give that a try.

Poke

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Yes, just one little set screw. Two main be sure's; 1. spray something to loosen the crud on the set screw, you don't want to strip it out and RELEASE the park brake. If it is set and you manage to get the rotor off, your entire park brake guts will come off with it. When you see the new rotor the extra hole is quite obvious. Overall it's an easy job.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Yes, as metioned be sure not to have on your parking brake. I tried to get a little liquid wrench in each of the lug holes to help separate it; it was still a bear to get to release. I used a large puller to get mine off. Be patient, its not just you, they are hard to separate and when you get it off you will say "Is that all that was holding it on : "

My Cars
    99 740i Sport
    Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Poke

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    the little screw may be all thats holding it on but, when the wheel is put on it has 5 lugs to hold it on even further
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    99 740i Sport
    widebody, well yes I was speaking about the rotor attached to the hub after the wheel has been taken off, how else would you be able to get at the rotor?

Poke