Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 Radio problem. Is the cassette player to blame?

My Cars
    2001 740i

E38 Radio problem. Is the cassette player to blame?

I'm a newbie to the forum and posting. Yesterday I put this question on the General audio page...thought it might be better suited for the 7 series page though:

I recently landed an 01 740i from a smaller Import dealer. At the time of purchase the radio did not work. Part of the deal was for them to fix the radio. The radio finally came in today and they swapped it out. However, it still does not function. They had a power amp from another 01 that they put in and still...no radio. Now, they think it might be the cassette that needs to be replaced, as perhaps the tuner is actually housed there. The vehicle does not have Nav. Any ideas if they are on the right track? if indeed the cassette is the culprit, any suggestions on where to purchase one? I want to prod them along with as much good info as possible. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Please .. I have this same problem with my radio.. I have 1998 740iL. I just got a used amplifier, when I install it works for 2 hours then the same problem showed up. there is sound from CD player, but noting from radio or cassette player.

Please .. any thoughts or idea about this problem. thank you

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    If the CD player works, but the tape and radio don't, your problem is most definitely the tape deck itself. I was able to source one for about $12 that just happened to work. Look for local junkyards and go on half-price day.

1995 540i/6 // Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Nav no nav?

If the CD works it's not the AMP but the head unit/ radio module

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Yes the radio is the cassette player. They do have problems. There is a guy on eBay that repairs them. He also repairs clusters.

My Cars
    98 740iL,98 740i,95 525i
    I had the same problem and mine was the cassette deck/head unit. Bought a used and guaranteed one on Ebay for $65 shipped. Installed it myself and it worked. Try to get the code with it you may need it. If not you can get the code from the dealer, just make sure to get the code BEFORE you install the radio as you will need the serial # from the back of it. I did not need it for mine but I had it just in case.
    1998 740iL, 1998 740i, 1995 525i 5 speed, 1995 325 5 speed

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    thank you guys .. I am going to search for a tape deck. I hope that works for me.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by martyanderson10 View Post
    ...Try to get the code with it you may need it. ... I did not need it for mine but I had it just in case.
    Just an FYI:

The e38, e39, e46 where the first generation of BMWs that moved away from the old style anti-theft radios that required a "CODE".

Our cars incorporated a multi-component, model specific set up which does not require a radio code if removed or separated from its power source. Our cars have a radio tuner that is incorporated into the in-dash cassette or CD...and utilizes a separate component (the MID...multi-informational display) that controls the frequency/band/VOL etc. This MID is model specific...the e38 MID doesn't fit in the e39 nor e46 and vice/versa. If your e38/e39/e46 has a Nav screen...then the radio tuner is installed in the trunk along with the CD and other AV components.

Again, the multi-component & model specific set-up...did away with the use/need of the old anti-theft radio code. You can plug & unplug the cassette unit in as much as you like...disconnect the car's negative battery cable etc...and never have to worry about initiating a code to get the radio to work again.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-29-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Hi Guys

I have the same problem with the radio/cd/cassette in my e38. I can feel cassette player playing but nothing is coming through the speakers. Phone dose work so I assume the amplifier is good.
    Any suggestions?

Many thanks

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Welcome Glen. The tape deck is the 'head unit' for the system and probably unrelated to the actual power supply to the tape player. Do you have Nav or DSP? Lights work on all audio components? No sound when playing a CD?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw glen View Post
    Hi Guys

I have the same problem with the radio/cd/cassette in my e38. I can feel cassette player playing but nothing is coming through the speakers. Phone dose work so I assume the amplifier is good.
    Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    I believe if you don't have DSP then the phone amplifier is separate.

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Thanks guys for replying. I don't have sat nav. It is DSP, the display lights on radio and tape go on when lights are on, but when pressing audio on the radio nothing shows on lcd screen exept time.LCD screen works on phone and programing.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 1969 Camaro Z28/RS
    The MID is not the radio, the tapedeck is. It just uses the MID as an interface....Chances are pretty high its the tapedeck/radio that is the problem.
    Jon
    '07 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Sport 6-Speed M-Sport Bumpers
    '15 Electric Mercedes
    '69 Camaro Z28/RS Hugger Orange/Black, 400hp, 4 speed manual

Previous:
    '07 BMW X3 Arctic Silver Premium/Cold Weather Package Adaptive Bi-Xenon
    '95 BMW 540i M-Sport Hellrot 6-Speed Dinan Engine/Diff Goodies Moonroof
    '98 BMW 740i Biarritzblau stock

My Cars
    98 BMW 740il

Exclamation 1998 BMW 740il e38 radio and tape player don't work but CDs do? What to fix?

Yea I have the same prob with my 740il it's a 98 and kina old but everything works good but the radio. The radio doesn't pick up signals or somthing it just has the station channel its on and says "st" next to it and I tried buying a tape that u hook your iPod into and it doesn't read it so I can only listen to CDs and I just want radio what do I do?!?!? Do I rely only need to replace the cassette unit up top and that's it? And what's dsp I have a 98 e38 so do I need to do more than replace the tape deck or what exactly do I need?

New to the forum ANY HELP APPRECIATED GREATLY THANKS A LOT GUYS.

My Cars
    323 IC black and tan, 750IL full leather and sport
    Radio module is in the trunk, left side boot along with a DSP/AMP if you have DSP and the CD changer, Cell phone module and TV module if you had it as well. The radio module controls all of the other functions through Ibus. The cassette player is located behind the mid and feeds signals back through the radio module and then on through the DSP/AMP to your speakers. The display up front is just the cassette player and a display for Nav, radio, CD and Tape information.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Sptsmed View Post
    Radio module is in the trunk, left side boot along with a DSP/AMP if you have DSP and the CD changer, Cell phone module and TV module if you had it as well. The radio module controls all of the other functions through Ibus. The cassette player is located behind the mid and feeds signals back through the radio module and then on through the DSP/AMP to your speakers. The display up front is just the cassette player and a display for Nav, radio, CD and Tape information.
    Only if they have Navigation/monitor up front. If no 4:3 or 16:9 screen then the radio is NOT in the trunk, it is incorporated into the tape deck next to the DSP controller or coin box!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740 IL
    i have read that part of the problem could be the power ribbons... my unit will play for a while then shut off, then when I hit a bump or something comes on again, then shuts off, almost like a broken wire making contact momentarily as I drive, then not.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Had the same exact issue

Go to ebay and order another $100 radio/cassette head and be done with it. You can also replace it with a BMW cd43 player and join the modern age. It's plug and play like the cassette.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I'm having the same issue. I just swapped in an amp from another car and I am still having issues. Thinking about just sending it out to one of those ebay radio/MID repair places and have them rebuild it. It's $60, which is about the cost of a used radio that might crap the bed too.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    ^^Or you can do this too. In either case, if you can play CDs (assuming the CD player is good) it's not the amp it's the radio head.

I decided to replace mine with a CD43 and now can play CDs up front, not just the 6 pack in the trunk, so when your friends have something to play its right there. Also you can add an adapter to the cd43 and hook up your iPhone or any device with an aux jack

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740 IL
    I am lucky, I have three OEM radio repair shops in town here. I know one of them do it for the local BMW dealer on radio repairs.

They can repair them from 125-300.00 depending on the problem. Do a OEM Stereo repair for your area.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Im having the same issue of no radio, cd or tape it turns on but no sound. When i put a tape in with the aux wire attachment it says tape error never tried any other tapes.. When i try the cd nothing happens and the radio is silent. I was looking at the cd43 bit at $300 id rather just install the sat nav radio for $400. Will ot work? It replaces the tape deck and radio but will it be a plug and play or is my stereo guy gonna throw a fit about it?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740IL
    i know this is a old thread but I have a e38 and the radio cassette and nav all work properly. The thing is only the two tweeters and two door speakers in the front work but
    they cut out when my rpms go under 700. Don't really know how to go about solving this issue so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1994 325i convertible,

Cassettes are notorious for issues

Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    ^^Or you can do this too. In either case, if you can play CDs (assuming the CD player is good) it's not the amp it's the radio head.

I decided to replace mine with a CD43 and now can play CDs up front, not just the 6 pack in the trunk, so when your friends have something to play its right there. Also you can add an adapter to the cd43 and hook up your iPhone or any device with an aux jack
    Just adding to this old thread for the guys after me, as it is the only one that I could find addressing the cassette or head unit issue. In the older systems without nav, there is no radio in the trunk, the radio receiver is in the cassette head unit. These head units are known for overheating the output transistors located at the very back of the unit. I took mine apart last night an found that the transistors were not touching the cooling plate and their soldering to the mainboard was poor. I straightened the legs of the transistors to where they touched the cooling plate at the back of the unit and re-soldered every one of the legs. I will try later today to see if this did the trick. My audio had a lot of garbage sounds in it, but it was playing in all the speakers. I have the C43 head unit. I prefer to solve the auxiliary issue with a cassette adapter that connects to my smartphone, so I can listen to my music. I've heard that the nav systems leave a lot to be desired, so I stick to my Garmin GPS, which has the capability to jump from one car to another without any disassembling and not leaving a trace of evidence. I will post results on the head unit work as soon as I install it back on the car.

My Cars
    Turbo cars, 2001 750il
    So I'm having a similar issue. I have an 01' 750 with Nav and cassette in head unit. Recently my radio stopped working. So basically there is no sound coming from the radio but the Nav has sound. Haven't tried cd yet but I will. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast