Thread: Wtb

My Cars
    81 633csi,2000 528i,05 Z

Wtb

Wanted:Passenger side headlight cover.05 Z4.Thanks.

My Cars
    Zed4
    Quote Originally Posted by fred56 View Post
    Wanted:Passenger side headlight cover.05 Z4.Thanks.
    Are you asking about the rear bulb access panel? or the clear lens on the front of the headlight, if so, the lens is not replaceable.

My Cars
    81 633csi,2000 528i,05 Z

headlight cover

Thanks for your reply.I know the plastic lens is not available as a separate unit.But, I read that some guys were able to remove the lens from a damaged housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    Are you asking about the rear bulb access panel? or the clear lens on the front of the headlight, if so, the lens is not .

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I imagine it's not very often that the housing gets damaged, but the lens is still intact?

I noticed some moisture/fogging inside my passenger headlight. I haven't had a chance to investigate the extent of the damage yet, hoping it's fixable.

Some (most?) cars headlights, the lens are held onto the housing with a few screws and silicon seal around the edge. On my old car, I was able to perform the ghetto stick it in the oven trick to loosen the silicon and take apart the lens from the housing. I'm hoping to do something similar with the Z4, to avoid having to buy a whole new headlight unit. Please note I haven't investigated this at all yet, please don't stick your headlight in an oven.

My Cars
    Zed4
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jacks View Post
    Some (most?) cars headlights, the lens are held onto the housing with a few screws and silicon seal around the edge. On my old car, I was able to perform the ghetto stick it in the oven trick to loosen the silicon and take apart the lens from the housing. I'm hoping to do something similar with the Z4, to avoid having to buy a whole new headlight unit. Please note I haven't investigated this at all yet, please don't stick your headlight in an oven.
    AFAIK the E85/E86 headlights are perma-sealed and heating them in the open doesn't work, though you're welcome to give it a try and report your results.

The only way I know to successfully take the lens off is by using a dremel to cut it off.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    AFAIK the E85/E86 headlights are perma-sealed and heating them in the open doesn't work, though you're welcome to give it a try and report your results.

The only way I know to successfully take the lens off is by using a dremel to cut it off.
    Oy that sucks. Well, I guess I'm hoping that I can blow out the moisture with a hair dryer, then maybe the crack/damage is small enough that I could cover it with a bit of silicone that won't be noticeable. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new headlight unit ($250+) but I sure as hell will try the oven + dremel on the old one. If it works I can just resell the one I bought. I will certainly report back, but it'll be a while, gotta get it past inspection first.