Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Daytona Violet M3 Track Day/HPDE Build

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    So this is really silly but I figured it out....... my electric fan wasn't coming on. I found an aux fan fuse blown, replaced it and now shes happy. I cancelled the track day and figured it out like 3 hours later. Thanks for the tips dudes! I really hope my head gasket is still good, the top end was rebuilt only like 30-40k ago!

I still have 2 track days left this year, hopefully she'll hold together. I want to upgrade to the stewart water pump for next year and pickup an aluminum overflow tank as well.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I'd check to make sure the aux fan is spinning freely. When I blew that fuse for my aux fan it was on its way out and I replaced it along with the fuse....
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I'd check to make sure the aux fan is spinning freely. When I blew that fuse for my aux fan it was on its way out and I replaced it along with the fuse....
    Thanks for the tip, I'll inspect it and see how it looks/sounds.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 1999 Z3M Coupe,
    Great thread. Hope to have mine back on the road by early next year. Lot of odds and ends to do including VANOS refresh, oil pan/pump but/baffle, engine mounts amongst others. A 2nd baby arriving and buying a house tend to take priority!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Couple updates since my last post. Had 2 more track days at Summit, one at Jefferson in Oct and another at Main in November. Both were successful, I learned a lot and the car ran all day/made it home! I have a stack of parts awaiting some above freezing weather to install before the spring comes. I am hoping to get out to the track at least once a month this year and get to some further tracks. My goal is to at the very least add VIR to the rotation this year.

This past year I was bumped to the intermediate group and learned a lot about track driving and have steadily improved the car's reliability and safety. 2017 was a good year, I hope 2018 is even better!

October Summit Point Jefferson Shot:

After the October track day I had an oil leak from the bottom edge of the valve cover and couldn't get it to seal. The dudes at RRT figured out that the valve cover was flaking on the bottom edge preventing a proper seal. I ended up getting a brand new valve cover and its been leak free since.

November Summit Point Main Shot: (it was cold as hell)

Winter project installs coming soon:
    - Mishimoto Aluminum overflow tank
    - Mishimoto fan shroud
    - Stewart High Flow water pump
    - New Federal 595rs-rr tires (gonna give them a shot for the price)
    - Brembo rotors
    - New brake pads (any suggestions? pf-08's?)
    - Rebuild the ebrake assembly

All in all I added 3 new tracks to the car's history this year and hope to get back to those 3 and add at least 1 more next year!

Also decided to sell my WRX STi and buy something that would comfortably get me (and maybe some friends/family) to further tracks with the M3. New daily/tow rig!

My Cars
    Many
    Nice truck. I use a 2015 Platinum as my tow vehicle.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Had a little time this weekend so I took care of the front brake refresh and also had my new tires come in.

New Brembo blank rotors and a set of Hawk HT-10 pads went on.

Going to try out the Federal 595 RS-RR. Decided to go 225/45/17 because I kept reading how wide they run. This is a comparison to my current setup of 235/40/17 Dunlop Zii Star Specs if anyone is curious. The starspecs run wide too I think, but the federals are pretty close even a width size down. At $100 a tire I figured they were worth a shot, may bump up to the 235 if I've got room and like the tire enough.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    I was ooing and aweing over your car at summit in Nov, I absolutely love it.
    My buddy has the steel gray ee46 m3 on grey te37's

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    Interested to see what you think of the RS-RR. Love the build!

- Max

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullyman View Post
    I was ooing and aweing over your car at summit in Nov, I absolutely love it.
    My buddy has the steel gray ee46 m3 on grey te37's
    Nice! I love a good e46 M3 AND with Te37's... yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post
    Interested to see what you think of the RS-RR. Love the build!

- Max
    I'll keep you posted!

Side note I'm looking to pickup a car hauler. Open trailer 16-18'. Anyone in the DC area have any recommendations for places to buy? I'd like to find a nice used one, but will go new for the right price.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Great thread for your track car build! Lots of similar work happening much slower on my e36. Curious to see what you do to it this year.

My Cars
    e39 M5
    check out these guys

http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html

I bought one back in 2011 and its still holding up pretty good.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Some progress has been made, didn't take a ton of pics but my winter project list is getting close to done.

Last weekend I did a cooling system upgrade added Stewart water pump, mishimoto expansion tank and fan shroud to go with my existing mishi radiator. I had way more trouble bleeding the system than I have in the past. Maybe thats a product of the new expansion tank, I've read some other people struggling too. looks like everything is leak free, temps are right at the center mark and i've got heat so we should be good.

Also installed a "sun strip" a week or too ago after dealing with some late afternoon sun at my November track day. Looks decent and hopefully will help cut down some of the annoyance. Amazon FTW.

In other big news i picked up a trailer! 18 ft, wood deck trailer. has a 2 foot dove tail on the back and decent length ramps so hopefully the M3 will load pretty easy! Can't wait for the season to get going. Only thing I have left to do is rebuild the ebrakes and do the rear pads/rotors!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    How did you wire your fan up? Mine is sitting on my work bench but haven't decided how I want to wire it up. And how did you secure it? The push through zip ties? And do you still run the pusher fan up front?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    How did you wire your fan up? Mine is sitting on my work bench but haven't decided how I want to wire it up. And how did you secure it? The push through zip ties? And do you still run the pusher fan up front?
    Pusher fan is still up front and still functional. Honestly I'm not sure how its wired, when i bought the car it had a SPAL electric fan conversion already on it so the change to the mishimoto was easy. I plug it into the same connection as my SPAL. I've never spent the time to chase the wiring for my SPAL fan install, its on my to-do list.

The mishimoto fan comes with its own "shroud" that mounts to the radiator's 4 corners like the OEM shroud. I hesitate to call it a shroud because its really a bracket it doesn't provide any airflow direction. Looks like the pic below.
    Last edited by 5spoke; 02-16-2018 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Gotcha. I installed the Mishi radiator but just picked up a SPAL. Wasn't sure if track guys were running both fans with the upgraded radiator.

You run an oil cooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Gotcha. I installed the Mishi radiator but just picked up a SPAL. Wasn't sure if track guys were running both fans with the upgraded radiator.

You run an oil cooler?

Not yet, but i'm considering it. All of the options I've seen just seem so expensive.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I picked up the Ireland Engineering filter top thing and a small universal one off eBay (left over from another project) but I have to figure out the lines and fittings. I'll update my build thread when I do.
    Last edited by BacDoc; 02-17-2018 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Did a few more winter projects yesterday. Rebuilt the e-brake system and installed my brembo rotors and Hawk HT-10 rear pads. Also did a pre-season oil change. Getting close to the first track day of the season!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Had a good first track day of the year at Summit Point! Got bumped to group 3 Advanced-Intermediate! Car ran great all day, temps looked great, new pads and rotors did awesome and I towed the car to the track for the first time. It was great to have all the extra room for tools and a comfy place to relax between sessions etc.

Once I got home I found an issue though. RRT had warned me that eventually I'd find the limit of the 1995 ZF M3 trans vent. Well suffice it to say it had been puking out fluid at the track. The bottom of the trans and brace were dripping with trans fluid.

I pulled the trans and had RRT do their fix. Which is basically drill out and tap the vent. Then install a long hose that arcs fairly high and lets the trans vent but not dump fluid. Hopefully it works!

Trans out, cleaned up the back of the block and flex plate etc. before installing a new rear main seal and pilot bearing etc.

Everything is now cleaned up, back in and the car is running/driving great. Going to put a few street miles on it before the next track day to break the clutch in a bit. Looking forward to another one on May 4th!
    Seems to be a process of track it, break it, fix it, repeat!

Last edited by 5spoke; 04-12-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fixing image links

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    making good use of that lift. your not breaking it just getting the bugs out.
    didn't you move to HT-10 pads? like them? i think highly of them.

nice car....

never heard of such an issue...cool to know

i hated ht 10s......hated

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2016 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredbyg60 View Post
    making good use of that lift. your not breaking it just getting the bugs out.
    didn't you move to HT-10 pads? like them? i think highly of them.
    yep, HT-10's front and rear. With Brembo blank rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    nice car....

never heard of such an issue...cool to know

i hated ht 10s......hated
    Thank you sir. What was your gripe with the Ht-10's? The first session out they were definitely very chattery and making the car shimmy quite a bit. But after that session they worked great. What's your go-to pad?

i didnt like the bite........it was too smooth...lol

dtc 60 and 70 now.....new technology and I like the bite, and less corrosive

My Cars
    1995 M3
    What do you run on the rear? And are you on stock calipers?

I've ran about all of Hawks pads and found the 60's gave me the best performance and feel. I'm running Blues on the back for the sake of upgrading oem pads.,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast