ML350

New 91 vert toy

Studio_20170126_205445.jpg
    Studio_20170126_211324.jpg
    IMG_9738.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9765.jpg
    Hello all,

Thanks for all of the info the forum has provided me in buying, pm'ing my e30. I am well on the way to updating most of the usual parts. Still need to do the AT fluid.

A request for input:

Pinstripes stay/go? (vinyl)
    my rear spoiler was very web/cracked so I painted it with the removable plastic spray; stay/go?
    I will be raising it back to factory height soon (I'm an old guy)

Just a toy to drive for groceries, and probably hand the keys to my kids in a few years.

Any other input?

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    Nice toy ... have fun with it!
    - pin stripes were cool 25 years ago when the car was new .... your choice to keep them or not
    - spoiler looks good, but again your choice

other potentially critical items needing attention would include:
    - timing belt (assuming that it is the M20 engine) belts are good for about 5 years or about 50,000 miles whichever comes first
    - coolant hoses ... old (>10 years) can cause sudden and disabling coolant leaks
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    '92 BMW 318i Convertible
    Beautiful, congrats
    '92 318i Cabrio- Alpine White

My Cars
    Mostly tourings.
    If you decide to get rid of that spoiler, PM me. Also, looks like a nice buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by IWannaBMW View Post
    me and her, a saddle, some motor oil and some jumper cables, it would be a hell of a weekend my friends

My Cars
    ML350
    Thx for the input. Will most likely pull the stripes if they come off easy. Spoiler will stay, just wanted to make sure I didn't pull a full temp repair. If the car proves reliable for a few years, it will earn a full re-spray and go back to stock white spoiler.

A few items already done include the Tbelt, water pump, valve gaskets, etc.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    Nice car. I am a new owner of a similar, white 1990 vert with Indigo interior, I like the spoiler. It reminds me of the one on my E24 M6. Is it OEM or aftermarket? Brand? And I like it painted to match the body much better than plain black.

I echo others that without clear evidence of replacement I would plan on new: timing belt, timing belt tensioner, valve adjustment, water pump, thermostat, all new drive belts, all new hoses and a transmission drain and refill, not a power flush. I know others may disagree but, for me on another automatic vehicle I owned (FZJ80 Landcruiser) I used to drain the transmission fluid every other oil change and add new fluid with a new filter as recommended by Toyota. After a few cycles the fluid eventually becomes cleaner/newer. If you don't perform your own oil changes I am not sure if a shop would do just a drain and top off.

If you do your own maintenance it is worth it to invest in the proper wrench/holder for removing the radiator fan. This will save you a lot of aggravation down the road.

I too am in the same dilemma with my pin striping. Mine (vinyl) will probably be removed out of necessity. My paint/body is in superb condition if you look past 27 years of minor scratches, swirls, etc... I thought about getting the whole car repainted but, the paint condition really doesn't warrant a full repaint just to get a shiny finish. The option I will be going with will be a professional wet sand, buffing and then waxed. So, with wet sanding the pin striping will go.

The best feature of your car... That one of a kind back seat accessory.

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    What a nice car,,
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    80 323i, 89 e30C,11X5
    Great car. I am also senior enjoying a e30. But I do like my ride to be very low from the ground!

My Cars
    ML350
    Mine was lowered with Bilstein/Vogtland. Too low for me, so raised it a bit. Not quite factory but close. Per the question, I'm not sure what type of rear spoiler it is. I sprayed it with black to resemble my old Audi TT v6 spoiler. A small hint of 80s whale tail.
    1991 325i vert, white/tan, power black top, I bottlecaps. PDX

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I just bought a 92. Mauritious blue with tan interior. It also came with pinstripes. Seems to be common on the 'verts. I removed them with a pinstripe eraser. Did not take long.