Thread: E36 LED Plate Lights. Resistors get too hot. Alternative?

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic

Question E36 LED Plate Lights. Resistors get too hot. Alternative?

Hello,

TL;DR: Resistors I can use which don't get scorching hot?

A couple days ago I bought a few Sylvenia 6418 "Cool White" LED bulbs to replace the bulbs in my trunk. I was so pleased by now White the actual light output was that I decided I wanted to use them as my plate light bulbs. I bought two more bulbs and two sylvenia 12v 6ohm resistors tonight. Installed one bulb and one resistor to see how I liked the look.

Wow, the resistor gets Hot! Which I knew going in; but Feeling(being burnt) is Believing. Even with proper mounting of the resistors on metal, I would be too paranoid driving around with these back there generating so much heat. Especially on a multi-hour long drive.

I have tried running LED bulbs without resistors in the past and experienced "Flashing" so I know I need them. Am I out of options? I hate how yellow and ugly OEM bulbs look.
    Last edited by yensed; 01-29-2017 at 12:42 AM.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by yensed View Post
    Hello,

A couple days ago I bought a few Sylvenia 6418 "Cool White" LED bulbs to replace the bulbs in my trunk. I was so pleased by now White the actual light output was that I decided I wanted to use them as my plate light bulbs. I bought two more bulbs and two sylvenia 12v 6ohm resistors tonight. Installed one bulb and one resistor to see how I liked the look.

Wow, the resistor gets Hot! Which I knew going in; but Feeling(being burnt) is Believing. Even with proper mounting of the resistors on metal, I would be too paranoid driving around with these back there generating so much heat. Especially on a multi-hour long drive.

I have tried running LED bulbs without resistors in the past and experienced "Flashing" so I know I need them. Am I out of options? I hate how yellow and ugly OEM bulbs look.
    Don't buy the shitty bulbs, I used to have the same problem and did the same thing.

I have in both of my cars actual bulb/housing replacements and they are 10000 times better than any bulb. Most now come with resistors built in, or external ones that cool much better.

Spend the extra money $40-60 on good ones you won't have problems, I have had mine in for 2+ years in FL heat with no issues.

not the exact one, but you get the point.

something like this http://bmw.iamgary.com/wp-content/up...1/IMG_0925.jpg
    Last edited by Bsaint; 01-26-2017 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    Don't buy the shitty bulbs, I used to have the same problem and did the same thing.

I have in both of my cars actual bulb/housing replacements and they are 10000 times better than any bulb. Most now come with resistors built in, or external ones that cool much better.

Spend the extra money $40-60 on good ones you won't have problems, I have had mine in for 2+ years in FL heat with no issues.

not the exact one, but you get the point.

something like this http://bmw.iamgary.com/wp-content/up...1/IMG_0925.jpg
    The reason I bought the Sylvania bulbs is because the light output is a Perfect White. Not even the slightest hue of Blue! And the amount of light output is only about 5% more than the standard ones. If I went any brighter I Would be Ticketed. So unless someone can point to a specific Brand and Model of setup in your recommended style, which meets my requirements - I can't bring myself to gamble the money.

And since my main concern is about the Heat being released by Resistors, I won't make the gamble on a set with external resistors. I could end up in the same place I am now.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg

did you even read what I wrote...? I said nothing about them being blue.

These look factory... the ones I have are bright white and you would be ticketed for a flickering led before one that is too bright.

but do what you want, good luck