Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 535 Turbo build (yes another one haha)

My Cars
    Not enough

E34 535 Turbo build (yes another one haha)

I forfeited the rebuild stock path and I drank the boost cool-aid.... Thanks M60B40Bimmer hahahahaha!!!!!
    I started a thread already for a simple mild N/A build, but that is now not the path I am taking so here we go gents...

Goal is a healthy 350- knocking on 400 whp... really the goal is to get motor in car and running with boost and learn a lot along the way

Car
    -1990 535is 5-speed (290K miles...blown HG on motor that's in the car)
    -3.46 lsd, single mass flywheel, billy sports + h&r'S

IMG_0764
    PhotoGrid_1453295381489

Plans: ( I have 3 spare long blocks, so I want to go ahead and use a stock one,a good low mileage motor, and get it in car and making boost/learn about it,
    tune it, and then have two other long blocks to prep when I am itching for more HP lol, or I blow this stock motor )

Engine
    -M30b35 pulled from an 88' e34 635is (<100k miles)

-Bottom end-leave stock (inspect and leave alone)
    -Head leave stock... maybe 284 cam/HD roackers/springs... but right now I'm planning on staying stock (refresh/valve seals/inspect cam/resurface)
    -ARP's
    -Either MLS, or stock... (waiting to find quote on machine shop cost for block/head RA requirements)
    -Good N Tight/RapidSpool Industries Turbo Manifold
    -EV14 62# Injectors
    -Walbro 255
    - BW SX366 .88 ar / BW S362SX-E .88 ar...or even maybe HX40/50 depending on funds
    - Clutch ...I am uncertain at the moment... input/wisdom welcome!
    - FM Intercooler of some sort, car has aftermarket cheap fiberglass from bumper on it now that I am not afraid to chop up

Engine management... some specifics I am still gathering
    -MS pnp (V2)
    -Innovate MTX-L wideband O2 sensor
    -Aeromotive 13129 FPR
    -GM IAT sensor

Progress so far

Tearing into M30 out of the 635is...

IMG_1920

Cyl walls look pretty good, no lip at top...
    IMG_1923
    IMG_1921
    IMG_1922

Getting ready to pull motor/engine that's in car

IMG_1942
    They call me Spaz
    -1990 535i/5 with some stuff ----->M30 Turbo Build
    -1996 328i sedan (S-52'd) 5-speed ----------> Refurbish Project (Wife's new DD) ---> (S52-swap)

My Cars
    92 525i, 97 M3
    Very nice car, love where you're taking this. Did you buy it in the past 2-3 years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    1997 M3 Techno/Mulberry Manual Sedan.

My Cars
    Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGordeaux View Post
    Very nice car, love where you're taking this. Did you buy it in the past 2-3 years?

Thank you sir, I have fell in love with this car and I plan on keeping it quite a while (and the wife likes driving it too which helps a ton!!!! haha) and yes I bough the car from a Russian fellow out of Raleigh, NC...

I spent a good deal of time on the 27 year old paint to bring it back to life...wet sanding and buffing.
    They call me Spaz
    -1996 328i sedan (S-52'd) 5-speed ----------> Refurbish Project (Wife's new DD) ---> (S52-swap)

My Cars
    92 525i, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazE36 View Post
    Thank you sir, I have fell in love with this car and I plan on keeping it quite a while (and the wife likes driving it too which helps a ton!!!! haha) and yes I bough the car from a Russian fellow out of Raleigh, NC...

I spent a good deal of time on the 27 year old paint to bring it back to life...wet sanding and buffing.
    So you're the guy that beat me to it.. glad it's getting love!

My Cars
    Not enough
    So you're the guy that beat me to it.. glad it's getting love!

I hope thjat I do it justice haha... This is one of the few cars that I have sincerely enjoyed owning and driving. It has made 4 trips to Maryland to visit the in-laws, couple drives through the Shenandoah Valley, trips to the mountains for some fun driving with my brother and his e39 M5... I have put almost 50k miles on the car since last January!!
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    92 525i, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazE36 View Post
    I hope thjat I do it justice haha... This is one of the few cars that I have sincerely enjoyed owning and driving. It has made 4 trips to Maryland to visit the in-laws, couple drives through the Shenandoah Valley, trips to the mountains for some fun driving with my brother and his e39 M5... I have put almost 50k miles on the car since last January!!
    That's awesome! I have an e34 with the same plans, putting engine together now. I'm in W-S, are you anywhere close? Would be cool to see it when it's done.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Looking good! Email me back haha.

I do have one comment, for that power level, you're better off with a s257sxe. It will be great up to 500hp and will attain faster spool and response.

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s25...1-12769095003/
    Last edited by M60B40Bimmer; 01-25-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    1991 E34 535i Artic Gray

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Looks like you've got plenty of room to work with too, which is always a plus.

I'm in Durham.

My Cars
    Not enough
    That's awesome! I have an e34 with the same plans, putting engine together now. I'm in W-S, are you anywhere close? Would be cool to see it when it's done.

I'm in China Grove...about 10 miles off I-85! Like 45 min from Winston Salem.

Quote Originally Posted by M60B40Bimmer View Post
    Looking good! Email me back haha.

I do have one comment, for that power level, you're better off with a s257sxe. It will be great up to 500hp and will attain faster spool and response.

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s25...1-12769095003/
    I just emailed you back! My head hurts I have been reading and looking at so many turbos... a good friend of mine runs a diesel performance shop so I have him looking out for some good used items snails he pulls off common rails... so I really have not set anything in stone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post
    Looks like you've got plenty of room to work with too, which is always a plus.

I'm in Durham.
    I made it a priority for my first house to have a detached garage! I am very thankful for it, but a small 2-post lift would be nice
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    89 535i/5 + lots mor
    With the same car and the same plan in the near future I'll be watching your progress closely. Off to a great start!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    88' e34 535i+s Turbo
    i have a megasquirt pnp2 for sale if you still need one. i can ship over to your side of the world.

My Cars
    Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnZ View Post
    i have a megasquirt pnp2 for sale if you still need one. i can ship over to your side of the world.
    PM'd
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    Not enough
    While awaiting on machine shop... I decided on finally pulling the trigger and getting a TIG welder set up at the house. I have always wanted a set up so I could do everything I need in the garage.

Still need to run service to the corner of the shop where this baby will rest... 100amp haha... this sucker is a tank, single phase! Also waiting until my brother can drive his tractor over to get it off the trailer... this sucker is 850lbs hahahaa

Miller 320 a/bp...came with two pedals, Miller Coolmate 3, sheathed torch ...have to get a bottle though

00W0W_4QWDPM1a2fX_1200x900

00M0M_93694W2S9gY_1200x900
    Last edited by SpazE36; 01-31-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Merge/dbl post
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    Not enough
    So progress is going pretty slow... the wife and I are going on a mission trip to Kenya in July so we have been preparing quite a lot for that.... anywho, here is SOME progress haha

Finally received my 284 regrind from Shant at BimmerHeads... shipping across the country waiting on a grind batch to go in and then shipping back took a about 2 months. I received my cam but the cam gear flange is trashed from I guess handling while being shipped back. Shant offered to fix, but I don't want to wait on shipping again so I figured I would just go ahead and pull my motor...

I have another flange but it is in the motor that is in the car, so I will now have to pull the motor before buttoning up my top end, unless any of you nice fellers have a spare flange laying around haha

[
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    Not enough
    Finally had a clear free Saturday to pull motor that's in the car

[

There she is setting with her heart pulled out
    [

Next step will be tearing down the head on this motor to get cam gear flange to the shop so that I can get my new head all buttoned up and ready to drop into my other long block.

[

I have made a decision to buy the Isky Groove Tool and run copper/stainless wire +ARP's + stock elring HG... after hearing many occurrences of MLS head gasket weeping, and having problems along with the high cost of a single MLS, I think ringing is the way to go.

http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?m...ftjte8gkfj3p46

Cheers!
    Last edited by SpazE36; 06-20-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    way too many
    Subscribed. I too will get my m30 turbo project going again one day. I expect I'll have to deal with a blown head gasket at some point but I'm going to start with my stock motor intact and consider the head gasket as the weak link "safety valve" and deal with o-ringing the block when that day comes. I'm aware of o-ring tools such as the Isky but never paid much attention to the o-ringing process itself. My spare m102 head has silver o-rings in the exhaust flange faces. After googling the Isky tool you're getting, I watched this video for installing the wire. It looks doable. His .041" S.S. o-ring wire is the identical wire I use for safety-wiring my cross-drilled banjo bolts. Do you have a source for a copper m30 head gasket? What thickness(es) are available?

https://youtu.be/FfqE2jgf9qs
    Last edited by TheStigg; 06-20-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    Not enough
    I am finally able to get some time in the shop again...this year has been busy with a mission trip to Kenya and business trip to Nagoya... the car has been torn down almost a year now and hopefully I can make some decent progress this winter.

Started inspecting the bottom end on one of my short blocks I was wanting to use... ~100,000 mile motor maybe more ?
    In my opinion the bottom end looks good enough to polish crank and stick new bearings in + Plastigauge everything

Some of the main's.....
    IMG_6001

Center Main crank journal...
    IMG_6006

#1 connecting rod ....
    IMG_6105

#1 connecting rod journal...
    IMG_6106

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also started prepping the deck for MLS ... made a pass with 400 and noticed on Cyl. #6 , there is some rust + pitting where the HG fire ring looks to have rusted. Feeling it, it feels like it is at least 0.005" deep... no way I can polish the deck and get this out. :/

IMG_6108

Pitted fire ring on #6...

I need some wisdom from ya'll.... should I back up and punt, go ahead and do a full rebuild... or throw a stock HG + ARP's and get it in the car??
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    Not enough

I went ahead a got it yeyee

Since the deck condition of my spare short block pushed me into a corner... I just went ahead and got the Isky Groove-o-matic
    zz
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    '90 535i, '91 M5
    Didn't see the thread earlier, but I was going to suggest ringing the block as an alternative. I'm not an engine machinist or expert by any means, but my understanding is that ringing produces a superior cylinder seal and allows the use of standard head gaskets on turbo builds, as well as higher boost pressures without gasket failure. I'd like to do it on a future build of my own, so I'm very interested to see your results.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Sounds like a nice project. M30 is like made for forced induction. Especially in LHD form.

The only difficulty is there is not much room for a front mounted intercooler compared to the e28. Some chaps have successfully used an eBay water/air intercooler.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    Not enough
    I had some time in the shop this past weekend and made some decent progress.

I was able to get the deck wet sanded with a chunk of 6061 stock that I fly cut on the Bridgeport...

Image-1 by

Taped 400 wet sand paper and lubed with WD-40, let the weight of the block do the work, linear motions only. I don't have an immediate before and after but you can see in the pictures where I am O-ringing that the deck looks much better... plenty good enough for stock Elring HG. I used one of our flatness Go-gages at work and feeler gage set. The deck was only out +/- 0.002" at worst end.
    Before
    IMG_6108 by
    After.... (go to last few picture of O-ringing below)

Using the Isky tool for the O-ringing process. It is very straight forward.
    1- Tool centers itself within bore.
    2- Use Feeler gages to set depth of cut. You do this by places feeler gages under the 4 pins that ride on top of deck, and drop carbide cutter until it touches surface of deck. Then remove feeler gages and the cutter will engage into the deck cutting until the pin contact the surface of the deck...(the depth you set).
    3- Use calipers to measure min and max diameter of HG, place groove in deck within those limits in order for O-ring to 'bite' into the fire ring of the HG.
    4- Rotate by hand and keep lubricated, checking measurements often.
    5- Rinse and repeat for each Cyl. Bore.

Setting Depth of groove with 4 sets of feeler gages ... I set this to 0.030" ... I am using 0.041" stainless wire and it is recommended that ~0.0010" protrude from deck.
    IMG_6186 by

Measuring the Min and Max diameters of Elring HG... to set the diameter of the groove...
    IMG_6180 by

Measuring a test "scratch" I did just to double check before I made cut
    IMG_6184 by

During the process of cutting groove
    IMG_6187 by

Finished up.... (I will snap some picture of the stainless wire close-up later, I didn't take any during the process)
    IMG_6191 by
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    glad to see the progress made
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Looking good!

-Greg

My Cars
    Not enough

Getting the bottom end together...

So I finally received my King Bearings finally... I inspected them and started getting bench/shopcleaned up to prepare for plastigage and main/rod bearing installation.

4 of my 12 main bearings from KING bearings had imperfections and knicks -_- ... so I will NOT be installing these.... I will be ordering some Glycol bearings for Ireland engineering

Imperfections in the KING bearings (new,,, fresh out of box -_-)

IMG_6783

IMG_6784

All of the rod bearings looked good after inspection so I went ahead and plastigaged' all of them and got them in...

IMG_6785

Plasti-gaged' every rod

IMG_6788

IMG_6790

So... while waiting on my new set of main bearings I went ahead and painted the block and got her all prepped for assembly

IMG_6781
    Last edited by SpazE36; 02-12-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    They call me Spaz

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Dam thats very unfortunate. After the reseal you can put alot of pressure on it......
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast