Thread: Where is the best place to tab the 12v power for remote amp 2014, 550 F10?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535i

Where is the best place to tab the 12v power for remote amp 2014, 550 F10?

I did search around and found different answers about the remote wire where to tab it from. ( I am confused) I decided to post new thread just for my references.
    I just got the Technics harness to add a sub woofer for my Logic 7 HK stock system on my 2014, 550, F10. All I want just a sub add-on to an existing OEM audio system since the original audio lack of bass.
    I got the
    LC2i module. It has +12, Remote In, Remote out and ground need to get power. I am thinking I can get the +12, directly from battery, ground to chassis but the remote I don't know where is the best spot to tab the power from.
    Is anyone has done this before please let me know where is the best to tab the 12V for remote turn on (Amp + LC2i module).
    Thanks

My Cars
    Cigarette lighters are typically a good spot. They are usually keyed power. You'd have to use a multimeter to confirm this, but I think they stay on for a bit after the car is turned off. Like maybe 5 min or more until the vehicle goes to sleep. But that probably wouldn't be a big issue.

Your other choice is just to get a multimeter and start checking wires in the harness one by one until you find a spot that is power when vehicle is on, and off when you turn the car off. Typically red is power in a BMW.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Cigarette lighters are typically a good spot. They are usually keyed power. You'd have to use a multimeter to confirm this, but I think they stay on for a bit after the car is turned off. Like maybe 5 min or more until the vehicle goes to sleep. But that probably wouldn't be a big issue.

Your other choice is just to get a multimeter and start checking wires in the harness one by one until you find a spot that is power when vehicle is on, and off when you turn the car off. Typically red is power in a BMW.
    Yeah I think cig. Lighter is the best place but do you know where in the fuse box? or have to tab from the center console (this is pain).

My Cars
    Look at your fuse chart and find the one for the cig lighter. Then unscrew the fuse panel from the car, and flip it over. Find that wire....

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535i
    today, I left the car off for 15mins and open the door and using the multi-volt meter check the power from the cigarette lighter port, there is still 12v power on the port. I don't know if the power turned back on when open the doors or not If the cig. lighter port constantly power all the time then I can not use this for the remote cuz it will keep the amp on all time and drain the battery die.

My Cars
    If you opened the door, you woke the car up and probably turned on the power to the lighter.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535i
    I did tap to the cig. lighter. Next day, couldn't startup the car. Battery drained low. I wonder if the remote fob too close to the car, it never put the card to sleep mode? . I test the trunk switch and left the remote away about 10ft, the trunk switch did not go to sleep mode after 15mins. Tried again and took the remote far away (about 20ft). The trunk switch did turn off after 15mins. That made me thinking if the remote fob too close the vehicle, certain power (witches) circuit stay awake whole time.