Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Wagon update

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Everything StephenVA, is clean and organized!!!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    I spritz Speed Shine on a microfiber towel and wipe down each tool before they go back to their assigned spot.

A tool for every job and a PLACE FOR EVERY TOOL. That way you can find them for the next project. Like today it was toilet repair in my home office "Executive Wash Room". Can't have a good poo with a non functional loo.

I also vacuum the shop on a regular schedule (weekly) especially the runner down the center as a clean shop is a happy place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenVA; 05-20-2022 at 05:54 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    97 528i
    nice box !!

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Sears close out on pro-boxes from a few years ago. Best upgrade for me for the tool storage issues as I had out grown my 1978 sears boxes even with the mid section and the hanger on side boxes. Too tall and not enough deep draws to stand stuff up.
    Free shipping included! Showed up on two pallets there are a few still out there.

Here is my Griot's Product shelving showing up top Gal refills. More in plastic storage boxes.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 05-20-2022 at 04:25 PM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I push broom the garage floor every week, then get the floor mop and a bucket of soapy water to clean it about every 2-3 weeks.
    The tools get wiped clean before they go back in the correct drawers.
    The work benches get vac after every project is finished.
    My Exec Wash Room is the “Library”, lots of Ipad research gets done in there.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    ^ My my, another one who believes in good shop practices.

I love guys who pull parts off cars doing repairs and then step on them, kick them over and over again, and then finally trip on them before throwing it way.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I just fire up my leaf blower to bow the dirt out of the garage.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I just fire up my leaf blower to bow the dirt out of the garage.
    Speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsemfFTVL3Y

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    that nose on that 7 series... Going to have to get used to it sooner or later
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Jesus! I bet Chris Bangle had his head so far up Nakajima’s butt for him to draw that ugly behemoth up! That oversized chrome side piece was a total joke too.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    that nose on that 7 series... Going to have to get used to it sooner or later
    Ugly. Did you see all the LIKES and good reviews?
    I hit the dislike button.

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Not as bad as the new 7 series they showed a few weeks ago. Honestly, the more I look at it the F01 7 series is not that bad of a car. It looks lightyears better than the E65/E66 and actually went back to the roots for a little bit after they replaced it with the ugly G11. But nothing can replicate the E38, and I love my E38.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    That ugly car was built in 1996 and had cameras as mirrors and Idrive, it's hand crafted, has simple beautiful lines( except for the front), retractable door handles and many more futuristic features.
    It's a CONCEPT car and should be treated as one. I don't like the dashboard designs of the Bangle era, they look like a woman with no boobs, flat and uninspiring. This has it first properly, but again it's a concept. I can make my peace with the exterior of the horrific E60, and the bit less horrific E65 and E90 and the protein pumped Suv brothers of the time, but NEVER with the brain fart interior.
    The pre facelift G11 is a gorgeous car, probably the most beautiful they made from the E38,E39,E46 era, and then some moron came with the comunist room heater grills.
    The new 7 and 3 are horrific, I'd rather drive the UGLY e60 and e65 than those 2
    They dropped the cluster for a kitchen lcd tv. Even if the previous models had a lcd cluster, but they still resembled a cluster and not a 19" tv.
    I do enjoy some some technology in my cars, the one that makes you life easier and you gives you more driving comfort.
    I'm talking about daily driving and not fun driving. For all those that say that " automatic suck and servotronic is crap, a the car is no fun" I wanna see them in bumper to bumper traffic for 3 hours and continue for another 2000 km spread with road works, in their fun manual, with sport suspension and no assistance for the steering.
    On a race track or a mountain road, manual, strip down to bare minimum cars a the fun ones. Once a week during the weekend or at the anual meet, yes it's great, it's amazing. But not for everyday work, stress and so on environment.
    I own a transport company and drive for a living, so I might know a thing or two.
    Those damn screens that the put in the cars nowadays are idiotic. Ford and Saab and others used green light in the instrument cluster just because green relaxes the eyes while you're focusing on driving and they get more tired, Saab even had a "night mode" button that switched off everything but the dash. Now we have blue light emerging from the whole car while driving, because it's the trend. Thing is, it's not the enthusiasts that have the money to buy the crap that they build, it's the mass morons, and at the end of the day it's a business and the enthusiasts have their older cars. That's their idea behind this crap trend.
    You have morons like Mike Waston, from Carwow and other youtubers like him or car tv shows who set these trends. 7er_G11_1.jpg7er_G11_3.jpgIMG-20190319-WA0022.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I think (and hope) the huge grills will be a short trend. Many people might not hate them like we do, but I haven't heard anyone say they actually like them.

Also, there are two more factors working against them. One is poor aerodynamics and rising gas prices. The other is how grill-less electric cars like Teslas are becoming more common, popular, and desirable. They're giving the small and no-grill look a high-class desirability.

Sometimes, we know we've gone far enough only after we've gone too far. Someone at BMW will figure it out eventually.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    I think (and hope) the huge grills will be a short trend. Many people might not hate them like we do, but I haven't heard anyone say they actually like them.

Also, there are two more factors working against them. One is poor aerodynamics and rising gas prices. The other is how grill-less electric cars like Teslas are becoming more common, popular, and desirable. They're giving the small and no-grill look a high-class desirability.

Sometimes, we know we've gone far enough only after we've gone too far. Someone at BMW will figure it out eventually.
    They ditched the grills on the new 3 and literally went back to the previous small grills with slightly redesigned headlights.
    Now they are going for tv screens instead of a cluster. Even if it's a cluster screen, it should still look like a cluster and not a gaming console screen.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Forgot, have you see the damn shifter knob, looks like the nipple of flat chest woman, just like the dashboard of Bangle era car. FLAT.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Friggin stupid trend mongers…. We should organize a 20 man wrecking crew and head over to the fatherland, give them a piece of our minds….
    To me, a perfect world would be to bring back all the old great car designs, none of this new crap. Make the engines more reliable, better cooling systems, better suspension, brakes, sound systems, but keep the old looks. Bring back the E9, E12, E28, E24, E34, E32, E39, E38, the Iso Griffo, Panteras, Mangustas, the FJ40 Land Cruiser, the ‘69 TransAm, ‘70 Boss 302-429, the original Mini Coopers, the Lambo Muira SV, this would be a cooler trend as a start. They did it with the Lancia Stratos, using a Ferrari F430 as a donor. It was funded by some rich dude just so he could have his own modern Stratos, but they did such a good job, a bunch of others wanted one, and so they made a whole bunch of them. But they did an awesome job of keeping the old body pretty much intact, even though it really wasn’t. But you guys know what I mean. These modern day trend mongers…. I say we start. New trend, start sniping them one by one.

Haha! Trend mongers, this comes to mind. Frank Zappa: The Adventures Of Greggary Peccary:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aymj5wcIhiY

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Like the damn cameras instead of mirrors, imagine if the e39 M5 mirror is cocaine expensive, think about a camera mirror for the future M5. Selling a kidney won't cover the price on that if it breaks or it's damaged, hell... the devil itself won't deal your soul in for or one of that.
    What was wrong with the damn simple mirror. Wait... I know... to simple and flawless, not fancy enough.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Well, it was about wind resistance. But about that ugly behemoth with those cameras for side mirrors,I did a custom sport bike project in ‘99, 3 years later, but I had never seen that ugly car, nobody had done cameras for that reason before, I had a lipstick camera with a fisheye lens underneath the tail light, and a small screen hanging from the windscreen of the Hayabusa. It was stupid, but it was cool for the time, it did work.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    I now have a new and improved effort underway in the garage this month. The M5 is going to represent E39 M series at the BMW 50th anniversary display at Hilton Head Concourse coming the weekend of Nov 5-6. I was selected along with ten other M series cars across the ages to be included in the display. Now whether it is worth all the extra effort to make the best showing possible, I will have to let everyone know afterwards. Hopefully it will be good, as BMW is one of the show sponsors. So hopefully no mud pit field spot.

Thinking about:
    Replacement windscreen as mine as a few chips
    Pulling the front suspension apart to clean and polish
    New tires (the ones on the car are from 2005)
    Air brush the one road rash spot on the front bumper corner that can not be seen unless you stick your head in the grass. Touch up/air brush the factory scratch on the left shock tower (Snotty, any thoughts?)

Now back to work...
    Last edited by StephenVA; 08-22-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Stephen, they’re gonna nail some points off your score, that car is just too clean, they were never that perfect rolling off the production line in Dingledorf, or whatever that place is called where the cars were made. How bad is the scratch? Is it inside of the engine bay? Get some matching touch up spray, get a piece of cardboard, cut a matching hole through the cardboard, a little bit larger than the scratch, holding the cardboard about an inch away from the strut tower, above the scratch, spray some paint through the hole, it will feather out over the scratch. If the match is good, then spray some satin, or flat clear to seal it in. Of course, where the scratch was, how deep was it? Was it gouged? If so, prep the area with 180, maybe 220 to thin down the ridge so you can feather it out. Match the hoe on the box to just slightly larger of the work area. I still need to come by and do that install on the mirror. I’ll give you a call.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Good luck at HH Stephen. After you posted all the detailing info about clay bar and speed shine a while ago I now find myself speed shinning the car almost every time I drive it.
    I need to airbrush a spot on the bumper like yours, doesn’t show unless your head is in the weeds.
    Good info Snotty, thanks.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Just a small trick I learned for myself when painting camouflaged paint schemes on my model airplanes when I was a kid. Depending on the model, be it German, British, or American, never did Imperial Japanese stuff, would decide the base color, so, say American, base the fuse an Army OD Green, for WW2 or grey for the modern stuff, then cut out the patterns for which ever camo scheme you are doing, roll up small hoops of masking tape about 3/16” for say, a 1/48 scale warbird, place them on your patterns, stick them on to the fuselage, wings, without squishing them down, so the patterns are floating about 3/16” over everything. So, say it was a WW2 plane, spray some desert tan liberally over everything, let dry, and peel off the patterns, instant camouflage paint job, this is with a spray can, with an airbrush, you don’t really need to bother with making patterns and taping them on, just airbrush the paint on. But if making a specific model in which I would get all scientific like, making measurements and scaling the patterns to exactly match a particular plane that was flown by a particular pilot, using these guide books on all the different schemes for planes assigned to specific pilots, I did the patterns even when airbrushing the paint on to keep it as scale like as possible. Not too many people would have known, but I did, I did it for myself, the level of wasted time I created for myself to build the model, only to be placed on a shelf, or hung from the ceiling, where it would just gather dust, and hopefully got dusted every now and then. But I knew, and that was what really mattered. Years later, in some publications, and then eventually the internet, my pattern making for those paint jobs was how the real pros really did it. To me, that was the fun part about the times when the internet wasn’t there right at our fingertips to source all the info in the world. The fun part was figuring out all the things that worked, or didn’t work. That’s why all these young guys that grew up with the internet always expect that free spoon feeding, and have such a hard time figuring things out on there own.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Installed the Umnitza wide view mirror glass on the wagon. Easy peezy project as they are an exact fit. Enjoying the no blind spot view on the driver side. Now waiting on Snotty to bring me a upgrade interior mirror so I will not be riding around in a strip model any more.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Mine was that same strip model too. It was the first thing I did, the day I bought it. Your silver wagon and my silver wagon are identical except for the wheels that came on them, you got the snowflakes, I got the regular style 29’s.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast