Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Budget e46 Build

My Cars
    98 328is
    I have a Nardi Classico i got from http://www.mrsteeringwheel.com/ with the nrg hub and qr that flat nardi fits almost perfect. Maybe a slim hub would be better.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1272.jpg
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 01-26-2017 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    yeah you'll want the slim hub. that's what i use with a flat wheel and it's perfect.

2015.10.31 nrg quick release v2.5 by George, on Flickr

2015.04.28 NRG 350mm by George, on Flickr
    Last edited by JesterMX6; 02-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Update.

Got a flat cheapie steering wheel in the mail and it gives me the clearance that I need so I will be rocking that until I find a good deal on a NRG or something of the sort. I will also still be getting a slim hub but it goes further down the list of things to buy now that I have clearance.
    (sorry for the shit ass camera phone quality)

Also received 25mm adapters to run the Advans I have to bring the offset to around 17 which I think I will be happy with for now. Along with RevShift diff and subframe bushings

And finally I bought a set of the V1 anti spin steering blocks from bimmerperformance.com and ordered a set of e36 outer tie rods to go with them. I dont have any plans of extended LCA for now until I get to driving this thing and seeing how it acts while in drift.

Thats it for now. I have a lot of parts now that all need to go on the car. probably going to be raising the car a bit and fitting the Advans on soon. Then when it gets a little warmer everything else will be going on.
    Last edited by abest521; 02-08-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You're going to hit so much when your wheel turns.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    You're going to hit so much when your wheel turns.
    need more offset? or combo of more offset and extended LCA?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Probably offset and extended LCAs. Angle causes tons of issues.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Probably offset and extended LCAs. Angle causes tons of issues.
    Should I get rack spacers as well and then make bump stops so I dont ruin anything or wait till I get extended LCAs to put everything on.

My Cars
    98 323
    Adding rack spacers in addition to using angle blocks will only make the rubbing worse

They're really meant to be used with extended control arms, but I guess there's really only one way to find out if they work with your setup, and that's by installing them

Though in the interest of saving time, you can probably get away with doing the install on one side to see what your clearance will be like
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    Adding rack spacers in addition to using angle blocks will only make the rubbing worse

They're really meant to be used with extended control arms, but I guess there's really only one way to find out if they work with your setup, and that's by installing them

Though in the interest of saving time, you can probably get away with doing the install on one side to see what your clearance will be like
    That is probably exactly what I will do. Mock up one side then see how much more offset I need to make it bareable, order thicker adapters, then I can start looking into extended control arms.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Thicker adapters are gonna increase your scrub radius and you're going to start hitting the outside of The fender/firewall. Extend a set of e36 lca's and youll be better off for much less hassle.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Thicker adapters are gonna increase your scrub radius and you're going to start hitting the outside of The fender/firewall. Extend a set of e36 lca's and youll be better off for much less hassle.
    Gotcha will do. E36 control arms? I was under the impression that the e46 control arms were the better ones to use. Especially since mine are the early e46 arms with more clearance.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    If you're extending them it's probably easier to find a set of e36 arms to cut up and extend, then you don't leave the car immovable for a couple days

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    If you're extending them it's probably easier to find a set of e36 arms to cut up and extend, then you don't leave the car immovable for a couple days
    Makes sense.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Yikes. Maybe I won't use a quick release hahah.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Yikes. Maybe I won't use a quick release hahah.
    It's not that quick releases are bad, it's just not a part I'd chance a knock off on.

- - - Updated - - -

But nevermind, I am an idiot. He said he got a cheepie wheel and I thought it was a cheapo ebay hub too. It's an NRG hub so no worries.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Are NRG actually good, or just a better known and more expensively priced Chineses/eBay-esque brand? I continue to be under the impression that they are latter, which kind of irritates the cheapskate in me haha...

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    just a better known and more expensively priced Chineses/eBay-esque brand
    This is what I've always thought of them. My wheel is fake as hell but it doesn't bend and is hard mounted to a real momo hub at least.
    I've never really liked NRG style quick releases though much prefer this kind
    http://www.sparcousa.com/product/quick-release
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    ya know, I'm not totally sure. I've always been under the impression that NRG was pretty good (short of going weld on) but that there were lots of NRG imitations around. Not positive though

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Yeah there was no way in hell I was going to buy a cheap quick release. I did some research about NRG quick release and I didnt find any horror stories so I figured they were a safe company to spend my money with. I know Grip Royal had some sketchy steering wheels when there were starting out but have seemed to fix the problem. If anyone has had a bad experience with NRG Id be intrigued to hear it. I was under the impression that some pro guys ran NRG hubs. Weather it is the same style as mine or not is a different story. The sparco style one you posted is the one Ive grown up knowing in motorsports. Hence why I tried to do my due diligence on NGR (a company I wasnt too familiar with) but they seem to have their shit together.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I've never heard anything bad about NRG, I know guys from grassroots drift, to pro-am, to hill climb, to rallyX, to stage rally running them and I've never heard anything bad. I have heard some horror stories of the cheapie ebay ones though.

- - - Updated - - -

also, I have the NRG 2.5 (I think?) on mine and have no qualms with it

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Same here basically. They seem to be sellers of Chinese stuff like what is everywhere else, but as you say there aren't many bad reports around. I have one of their seats to go in my s#!tbox for this year, and it is pretty nice. It's the preferred living room seating for most of my family currently.

Do their steering wheel quick releases seem like actual 'Merican quality stuff, or just like totally acceptable Chinese goods? It seems like they even claim that some of their stuff is made in USA.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 02-13-2017 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Same here basically. They seem to be sellers of Chinese stuff like what is everywhere else, but as you say there aren't many bad reports around. I have one of their seats to go in my s#!tbox for this year, and it is pretty nice. It's the preferred living room seating for most of my family currently.

Do their steering wheel quick releases seem like actual 'Merican quality stuff, or just like totally acceptable Chinese goods? It seems like they even claim that some of their stuff is made in USA.
    I havent delt with their style of quick release before only the sparco style so I cannot truely tell if its the highest of quality but so far I like it. I have probably taken the wheel off and on about 50 times to test it out and familiarize myself with it and I like it. Easy to put on but harder to take off so no accidents happen. Feels solid too aka no cheap plastic pieces. At one of the events this year you will have to check it out and see what you think.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Mine is very solid.

Sorry Abest, didn't mean to totally derail your build thread.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Mine is very solid.

Sorry Abest, didn't mean to totally derail your build thread.
    Dont worry about it. Im not too concerned. Id rather learn about random stuff and have the info than make a dumb mistake. I figure it will be a few times before its all said and done anyways haha.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast