Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Budget e46 Build

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat

Extreme Budget e46 Build

Hey all, been a long time lurker on the drift forum here. I owned an e28 about 8 years ago (same time mike and rusty were getting popular) so Ive been on BF.c for a while. It broke down and i was fed up trying to fix old 80s german electrical, sold it and have wanted to get back into another BMW since. I used to race quarter midgets as a younging and my dad used to have an alcohol fueled dragster in the 60s/70s so I am no stranger to motorsports, and drifting always was extremely interesting to me. This brings me to July of 2016, I found a 2000 328i on craigslist for extremely cheap. Went to go look at it and test drive it and other than the normal e46 problems (subframe clunking, temp and coilpack gone bad) and some rust I decided to say fuck it and bought it for $700. This is why this is going to be an extreme budget build, that and I have a daily driver audi allroad that constantly needs attention and a B5 Passat that is my "nice" car that I take to shows. Figured it was time to make a build thread as I have already done and bought somethings for the car already.

The day I drove it home about 100 yards out of the guys driveway I heard a big clunk come from the rear end. Stopped and it was part of the rear spring that completely rusted through and fell out. I said whatever and limped it home. Anyways lets get to some pictures

This is the day I drove it home and some of my VW friends decided to be funny.

Pic of the rest of the coil after half of it already fell out.... Michigan winters.

Got the cheapest ebay coilovers I could find just so I could drive it around and not have a missing coil spring. And I also have 2 sets of C5 corvette wheels laying around the garage with tires on them so I plan on using them as drift spares. That is what is on the rear in this pic. I also put some 75mm lug stud conversion on and save alot of hassle dealing with lug bolts.

These are the 17" vette wheels. I also have a full set of the same ones but are 18x9.5 that i plan on running once i get some larger spacers

I fixed the temp senser threw some new plugs in and replaced the bad coilpack. Then decided to get to work gutting the interior. Trunk gutted

Gutted the rear half of the interior and installed a very unsafe/sketchy harness bar but it will work until I can take this thing somewhere and have a cage put in or find someone selling a pre made bolt in cage

Bought some cheapy race seats for $180 for 2 from craigslist.

Bought an ebay 350mm wheel. I think I like the size but I really need a quick release hub (Im 6'3" and 265) which I just ordered... from ebay.

Bought an Ebrake extension from Nerp Tech. its for the e36 but I plan on somehow making it work for the e46. I just have to figure out how to get the button out so I dont lock it in the up position everytime I yank that thing

And because Im not completely stupid I bought some non progressive (aka linear, Im dumb) rear springs for more predictability. I forget what spring rate they are off the top of my head but they seem to work. Youll never guess where I got them...

Hot boi tow hook aquired.

I did buy some ebay camber arms along with RTAB buckets from someone on IG that will allow me to have a decent alignment and I also have a 3.46 auto diff that I will be having welded somewhere. Either at Deadhook Motorsports or Detroit Drifting. but no pic of that.

Thats pretty much it for now. I have some revShift rear subframe and diff bushings on order along with Turner Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement plates. So that will be coming along within the next month or so.

I come from the stance boys scene so I would idealy like to keep this thing as low as possible with some decent wheels but I know thats way easier said than done. Im a fan of the japanese style and Corys hot boi looking e46 from Deadhook. Its pretty much bae goals. Id love to get my hands on a Hard Motorsports wide body kit but thats a bit out of my range right now and id rather start driving before getting into that. But I do have a sneak peak of some wheels I may or may not rock if I get some adapters made.

18x9 5x114.3

Im sure I am forgetting something. But yeah immediate goals are to get the rear figured out and done and take care of any basic maintenance that pops up so I can just go out and drive it as much as possible and learn before I get into expensive angle kits. M1 Concourse just opened up literally 5 minutes down the road from me and MDU already booked one of their rounds there. I am excited for that and hopefully I can go to GridLife and some events put on by Skuds and Detroit Drifting.

Any questions or concerns for me let me know. I am very open to learning as much as humanly possible. Im no rookie when it comes to cars specifically BMWs but I am far from knowing everything.
    Last edited by abest521; 01-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    98 323
    Quote Originally Posted by abest521 View Post

A fellow douchebag. I like you already. You're gonna fit in here just fine

Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    This is nice! Reminds me a lot of someone else's car, except it lacks the slushbox coolness factor. That's ok, we can't all be that cool.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    For the ebrake thingy, press the button and drill a small hole through the handle and button. Then just put a pin in it so keep it from locking. That way, you can take the pin out and regain the lock mechanism.

Interested in how this works out. The E46 is heavy and the 328 motor leaves much to be desired. That's basically how my wagon is now. 328 motor, auto diff.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    For the ebrake thingy, press the button and drill a small hole through the handle and button. Then just put a pin in it so keep it from locking. That way, you can take the pin out and regain the lock mechanism.

Interested in how this works out. The E46 is heavy and the 328 motor leaves much to be desired. That's basically how my wagon is now. 328 motor, auto diff.
    Thank you that makes sense. Yes it is heavy thats why Im trying to take as much weight out of is as possible. I dont know how much power I can add to this motor with exhaust/intake/chip but those 3 are kinda where Im headed for the only engine mods. Otherwise I think saving for a JZ or LS swap would be the smartest thing to do with this platform. I cant remember if it was this engine (M52TUB28) that you can put a bigger MAF on or an earlier model intake manifold to squeeze some more power out of it but really Im just trying to make it lighter and more reliable.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Can you RomRaider that sucker? If so, you can probably make some pretty decent power with a china turbo manifold, a china turbo, and maybe some injectors.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Can you RomRaider that sucker? If so, you can probably make some pretty decent power with a china turbo manifold, a china turbo, and maybe some injectors.
    I have no idea what RomRaider is but if it is OBDII then I dont see why not. But this engine has 240xxx miles. I dont think its going to last much longer being NA getting beat by me let alone if its turbo'd getting abused haha. We will see though. If it lasts this summer than I may start thinking about something like that.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Mine has about 225k on it right now (M52b28), and I'm planning to bewst that bastard this year, so we'll see how that goes. Compression increased in it last year after I drifted it a hundred runs or so haha...

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Mine has about 225k on it right now (M52b28), and I'm planning to bewst that bastard this year, so we'll see how that goes. Compression increased in it last year after I drifted it a hundred runs or so haha...
    hahaha it increased? Thats awesome.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I have seen people put on E36 intake manifolds but you'd have to delete all the EGR and other stuff IIRC. So I would assume you're either trailering or have no emissions in your state. In which case, I am jealous. But honestly, your gains out of that motor will be minimal at best. It's got a slightly better tq curve than the non TU motors but the extra like... 300lbs? is what kills ya. You'd have to cut out a significant chuck of that car to get it down to even E36 weight levels. I'm interested in how you tackle it. I might take my hand at the wagon if you succeed.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    hahaha it increased? Thats awesome.
    Yep, good engines like to be treated badly.

. . . or have no emissions in your state. In which case, I am jealous.
    You're jealous. Which is funny, since it's Michigan. If you could see the weather here you might decide it's better to just have emissions inspections.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 01-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    I have seen people put on E36 intake manifolds but you'd have to delete all the EGR and other stuff IIRC. So I would assume you're either trailering or have no emissions in your state. In which case, I am jealous. But honestly, your gains out of that motor will be minimal at best. It's got a slightly better tq curve than the non TU motors but the extra like... 300lbs? is what kills ya. You'd have to cut out a significant chuck of that car to get it down to even E36 weight levels. I'm interested in how you tackle it. I might take my hand at the wagon if you succeed.
    Yes I think you're right Id have to delete the EGR. And I am extremely lucky being in MI we dont have any emmsions. Being the epicenter of the muscle car and the big 3 and all. I think Ill have better luck getting 300lbs out of the car rather than adding more power. I estimate I have taken around 50lbs out of the car already, those stock seats are pretty fuckin heavy.

Yep, good engines like to be treated badly.
    Well then its a lucky car since I plan on beating that rev limiter like it owes me money.

Update:

Decided to try to dehaze the headlights a bit and try my hand at laying down some headlight film. I do not have the patience nor skill for laying down vinyl. I tried heating it up to make it more plyable and melted right through it so I wont by trying it again. Its going to stay like this for now. Ole Left Eye:

Got the seats in and a RJS racing harness in on the drivers side.

Thats it for now until i get the quick release hub in.
    Last edited by abest521; 01-22-2017 at 04:45 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I have a feeling the M52TU is more fragile than the M52. But that's just me.

I nickname your car "Lisa Left-eye"

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    I nickname your car "Lisa Left-eye"
    Haha thats exactly why I just left it on there. I will only play "waterfalls", "creep" and "no scrub" while riding around in her now.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Haha thats exactly why I just left it on there. I will only play "waterfalls", "creep" and "no scrub" while riding around in her now.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Today's kids won't get it.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix

I come from the stance boys scene so I would idealy like to keep this thing as low as possible with some decent wheels but I know thats way easier said than done. Im a fan of the japanese style and Corys hot boi looking e46 from Deadhook. Its pretty much bae goals. Id love to get my hands on a Hard Motorsports wide body kit but thats a bit out of my range right now and id rather start driving before getting into that. But I do have a sneak peak of some wheels I may or may not rock if I get some adapters made.

18x9 5x114.3

http://www.tf-works.com/ichiba-15mm-...20-to-5x114-3/

Don't bother making your own adapters. The ichiba ones are superb quality and are readily available. I love your choice of wheels, btw. Sa3r's are one of my favorite wheels for 80's and 90's cars, and I'm sure they would look baller on an e46, once you clean them up.

Also, welcome fellow Michigan BMW drifter!

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    http://www.tf-works.com/ichiba-15mm-...20-to-5x114-3/

Don't bother making your own adapters. The ichiba ones are superb quality and are readily available. I love your choice of wheels, btw. Sa3r's are one of my favorite wheels for 80's and 90's cars, and I'm sure they would look baller on an e46, once you clean them up.

Also, welcome fellow Michigan BMW drifter!
    Unfortunately I am going to need to get 40mm spacers to get around 0 offset. I believe these are 42 offset or something close to that. But yeah I have a weird fetish for 3 spoke wheels and these would fit the bill pretty good for a jap influenced drift e46. Where around Detroit are you from? And have you gone to any of the back to basic events or do you plan on going to the MDU round at M1 Concourse?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Dang I had no idea they were such high offset. Did they make another fitment that was lower?

I live in Dearborn, I've spectated numerous back 2 basic events, but I haven't driven any yet. They are cool events, lots of seat time.

I definitely plan to go to the one @ M1.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    There is a Back 2 Basics at that place? Is it listed on bookface somewhere, or listed in another location?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    No, no Back 2 basics @ M1 Concourse, only the Pro-Am series event.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    There is a Back 2 Basics at that place? Is it listed on bookface somewhere, or listed in another location?
    ^^ What he said. MDU has one of their rounds at M1 which I am extremely excited to see how it goes and interested to see if the M1 guys are willing to support more drifting events, so hopefully it goes well. Back to Basics are only at auto city for now and I think one at Kil-Kare down in OH, which funny enough I have raced there when I was racing quarter midgets. Theres also a MIDrift event at Gingerman in May but I will be down in Savannah GA for SoWo/EuroX with all my VW friends.

Ive suggested somewhere to someone that they call and see if East Lansing Karting would be willing to rent out their track for a drift event. I feel it would be very comparable to PARC out in Oregon. Very tight and technical aka no huge power numbers needed.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I like the idea of EL Kart Track too, but I really doubt it. I used to know the guys that owned it, and I just don't think they are likely to be comfortable with the drifting vibe. It's possible though. I was out there a few years ago and the same family still owned it then.

BTW, it looks like the Detroit Drifting Co is doing some events at Flat Rock Speedway this year. That might be cool.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Bruh!! 3 spoke advans!!!!! Im in love.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    Update:

Got the NRG quick release in today. with the hub I have, the NRG quick release and the deep dish wheel it sits back wayyy too far. Ill be looking for a flat wheel and maybe a slim hub adapter. But I love the "racecar-ness" of the quick release. And it makes it way easier to get in and out with race seats.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    Bruh!! 3 spoke advans!!!!! Im in love.
    Yes I am in love with all things 3 spoke. I just bought adapters to run the advans so I will hopefully have them on the car within the month. Just have to pick up tires and roll the fenders, which I hear can be a PITA on the rears.
    Last edited by abest521; 01-26-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast