Thread: Boot light problem

My Cars
    2010 E90 N43 318i

Boot light problem

The battery on my 1997 316i was draining and we discovered that the boot light was always on. We only spotted it when we had to pull down the back seats to get some long planks of wood in.

After doing some searching on the forums, I found I had the same problem with cables that flex when when lifting the boot - squeezing them made the light come on/off. I thought the quickest method would be to remove fuse no.33 which is marked as being for the "luggage light" but removing it did nothing to prevent the light coming on. Why did pulling the fuse not kill the light? In the end, I pulled the bulb out.

Thanks

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    If a fuse does not cut power then the fuse is not used to power the light. Either some owner messed with the electronics or the bulb found another source of power...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Standard boot hinge wiring frayed wires issue at second guess if still occurs with switch disconnected

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mtahir View Post
    The battery on my 1997 316i was draining and we discovered that the boot light was always on. We only spotted it when we had to pull down the back seats to get some long planks of wood in.

After doing some searching on the forums, I found I had the same problem with cables that flex when when lifting the boot - squeezing them made the light come on/off. I thought the quickest method would be to remove fuse no.33 which is marked as being for the "luggage light" but removing it did nothing to prevent the light coming on. Why did pulling the fuse not kill the light? In the end, I pulled the bulb out.

Thanks
    Because the problem is frayed wires power could come from another circuit so the "correct fuse" may not be the right fuse
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by mtahir View Post
    ... I thought the quickest method would be to remove fuse no.33 which is marked as being for the "luggage light" but removing it did nothing to prevent the light coming on....
    The boot-to-boot-lid wiring may have gotten horked enough to tie the trunk light into the central locking system and/or license plate lights. (Usually that blows fuses.)

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Repair your trunk lid wiring and your problem will go away.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Repair your trunk lid wiring and your problem will go away.
    You can only lead a horse to water
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    2010 E90 N43 318i
    It was the boot hinge wiring. I stripped back the outer cover for the wiring loom and found that some of the wires had broken and were shorting together. So, I soldered them back together and it's been working fine ever since. Thanks for the suggestions.