Thread: S54 rod bearings

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe

S54 rod bearings

I was reading the latest issue of Race Engine Technology (an excellent if somewhat pricey English publication) when I noticed the ad for King Race Bearings lists a new application for BMW S54B32 rod bearings, P/N CR6877XP. They seem to specialize in coated and fully grooved bearings. According to their website (www.kingracebearings.com) they are located in New Jersey.

Just wondering if any of the experts here have any experience with their product, either in race or street applications.

Marty

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    News to me, but the cognoscenti building British engines (specifically Healeys & MGs) are shying away from them, in part because of their lack of quality with other engine components.

There is however, some other news about S-54 bearings; there will be some new to market Clevite bearings that have been spec'd with an additional .0005" (per shell half, to yield .0025" final clearance). AND these, including high performance coating will cost significantly LESS than buying standard BMW bearings!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    News to me, but the cognoscenti building British engines (specifically Healeys & MGs) are shying away from them, in part because of their lack of quality with other engine components.

There is however, some other news about S-54 bearings; there will be some new to market Clevite bearings that have been spec'd with an additional .0005" (per shell half, to yield .0025" final clearance). AND these, including high performance coating will cost significantly LESS than buying standard BMW bearings!
    That is great news. Clevite bearings have been the choice of race engine builders for many many years.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    '01 s54 M Coupe; '11 750
    There is however, some other news about S-54 bearings; there will be some new to market Clevite bearings...
    Any idea on the ETA? And where exactly can you purchase the Clevite ones? Google is only bringing me a lot of Summit/Jegs links (that do not carry our variety), and there doesn't appear to be a Clevite website other than a basic splash page on the parent company site.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by SGs54MC View Post
    Any idea on the ETA? And where exactly can you purchase the Clevite ones? Google is only bringing me a lot of Summit/Jegs links (that do not carry our variety), and there doesn't appear to be a Clevite website other than a basic splash page on the parent company site.
    I'm in the process of getting set up to offer them, but out of consideration for Terry, you'd have to contact me outside of the forum.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I'm in the process of getting set up to offer them, but out of consideration for Terry, you'd have to contact me outside of the forum.
    Might you keep us posted here in terms of your experience with these?? Please :-) But a little more oil (film) in there might help with not spinning bearings at high revs etc :-)

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Hi Randy,
    Im guessing you were referring to the BE Bearings which are now out on the market? Have you installed any yet? Is this your recommended bearing now? Recommend using stock bolts?

From reading on m3forum thread it seems the guy who measured the new BE/Clevite bearings noted much tighter tolerances with the Clevite/BE bearings vs OEM...about to order a set for my S54 E36 M3.

Thanks!