Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M42 - M44 coil on plug conversion (COP) review

My Cars
    1.9 z3 00
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremaster View Post
    I was going to go the COP route and was encouraged to go with the original set up a year or so ago. I got a standard coil pack and after replacing a defective pack experienced all the good things you did.
    Glad to hear it!
    I did the COP way to eliminate these long plug wires that route just above the exhaust headers as they wear out too.
    Plus i love to fabricate things and get my hands dirty..

Your old coil pack was still functioning just not that good, or it faild completely? what were your symptoms, just like mine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    This doesn't surprise me, a friend of mine with a V12 Ferrari was having ignition issues, replacing both coil packs and all the wires was $4600!! He put together a COP kit that he sells for $1500. It is amazing what dealers charge for something as simple as wires and coils.
    $4600 for coils and wires?? these motherf**ker stealers!! What do they charge for oil change.. $1000?
    Last edited by john batselas; 01-24-2017 at 06:56 PM.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by john batselas View Post
    $4600 for coils and wires?? these motherf**ker stealers!! What do they charge for oil change.. $1000?
    If I remember correctly, coil packs are $800 each, x2, wires are $250 each, x12. A minor service, which is to be done yearly or 5000 miles, is engine oil (12qts synthetic) & filters, gear box oil & filter, radiator fluid, and power steering fluid, this runs between $1000-$1500. A major service, every 5 years, is a minor service plus belts and plugs. That runs between $4500-$12000 depending on which engine. Any of the rear engine cars need to have the engine pulled to do the major service which can more than double the price and push it to the top of the listed range.
    Prices are even higher on the newer cars with the F1 transmission, the F1 transmission needs setup/calibrations that can only be done with a Ferrari specific system, so DIY'ers need not apply for this tranny.
    Sort of makes BMW prices seem cheap.
    Last edited by ixlr08; 01-24-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    This reminds me... Steve, do you still need that coil harness

The COP conversion always seemed like a cool mod. Surprised it isn't done that often
    Yep

My Cars
    1.9 z3 00
    Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    Yep
    You still need a harness?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Attachment 591220
    Can I just check that in this picture the mounting plate is tight against the cam-cover? It looks like it is, but I wanted to be sure that it isn't floating just above where it would would come into contact.

My Cars
    1.9 z3 00

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    Attachment 591220
    Can I just check that in this picture the mounting plate is tight against the cam-cover? It looks like it is, but I wanted to be sure that it isn't floating just above where it would would come into contact.
    Yeah, it bolts tight on the cam cover. The stock bolt has a "stop" so it wont let you overtighen. As you see in the pic, there are two nuts, one lower and one upper. The purpose of the lower nut it to tighen the threaded rod on the valve cover and the upper nut is used to tighen the mounthing plate.

I advise you to let the threads of the rod go deeper than the original bolt theats inside the valve cover. (like a longer bolt) I tested it, there is room and you won't risk any damage.

The reason to do this, is because the valve cover is made of aluminium and the threads on it can strip very easily, like butter! If you let the threaded rods go deeper, they will use new unused threads (as the original bolts didn't reach theme) and will be better tighten and secured so they won't get loose!

DO NOT overtight!
    DO NOT use any thereadlocker on the threads that go inside the valve cover!! It will create problems to remove theme in the future if you need to!

You can apply threadlocker on the lower nut, to secure its position on the rod, so it wont spin freely when you tighen the rod on the valve cover, it will make it easier

Does the COP plate you took have a mounting kit included (rods, nuts, washers, plastic spacers) like the photo?
    If you do not have the plastic spacers as the pic, you need two more nuts to adjust the height of the plate (see photo with the black mounting plate).

Let me know if you need help with anything!
    Last edited by john batselas; 02-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    How hard/difficult was it to modify the coil pack for Number 1 cylinder?
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Does the COP plate you took have a mounting kit included (rods, nuts, washers, plastic spacers) like the photo?
    If you do not have the plastic spacers as the pic, you need two more nuts to adjust the height of the plate (see photo with the black mounting plate).

Let me know if you need help with anything!
    No, my plate came without any mounting kit, so I'll have to make something up.

My Cars
    1.9 z3 00
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    How hard/difficult was it to modify the coil pack for Number 1 cylinder?
    Very easy actually. Just bolt the coil on plate and cut the excess that sticks out of the plate with a cutting tool. The metal cuts very easily.
    Sorry i forgot to mention, the coil for the first cylinder (front of the car) needs cutting.
    Last edited by john batselas; 02-01-2017 at 08:27 PM.

My Cars
    '97 318is, '00 e39 m5
    Reviving and following.

My Cars
    1994 E36
    any one have think about why BMW just only M42, M44 Using an external coil? In the same year, the direct design of the M50 or M52 coil can save a lot of manufacturing costs.

In addition to the ignition system other than the distribution board, look at all the engines of the external coils in the past, all have one thing in common, that is, the metal camshaft cover.

I think that BMW designed the external coil because the heat transfer rate of the metal cover is very fast, which causes the structure of COP to be exhausted due to excessive temperature.

Don't forget that all the covers on the M5x engine are almost plastic. and please check S42 engine, even race engine still use external coil..

I changed to the COP structure from 2011. But when I switched to the ITB system and configured the standalone engine management system, I realized the effect of temperature on the coil. I looked at the datalog to show that when the engine temperature builds up, the coil discharge efficiency will drop.

I don't know the truth of this question, so I want to discuss it with everybody. Because of the experience in our customers, the original coil of the VW 1.8t engine is very depleted due to temperature. When we changed it to an external coil, the power was increased a little..

Not controversy, I hope to participate in the discussion to get the truth.
    Last edited by JarvisKuo; 06-05-2019 at 03:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12