View Poll Results: How do you feel about making the transition?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great. There's no looking back!

1 33.33%
  • There are pros and cons. On the fence about sticking with it.

2 66.67%
  • I regret my decision. Going back to DSLRs!

0 0%

Thread: Those of you who dumped your DSLRs for mirrorless cameras *poll*

My Cars
    '11 328xi, '07 gx470

Those of you who dumped your DSLRs for mirrorless cameras *poll*

Yay or Nay?

My Cars
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    For the tripod-less, I'm interested in how the ergonomics of taking the photos have changed for you.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    I kept my Nikon DSLR and use it for most of my photography still

I love my GH4, but main reason I bought it was for video and couldn't see switching 100% mirrorless yet, so I guess I'm not the best person to ask.

Maybe the people who have made the switch from a 5d's to Sony A7s variants can chime in more.

So voted for pros and cons.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 01-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    My biggest problem was manual focusing with the 5d2. I dumped it for a live viewfinder in the NEX cameras. The weight savings was a godsend. The cameras are customizable that ergonomics should not be a problem.

You can now autofocus with most lenses from any manufacturer.

5 year old post

Now's the time - you can save $1000 on the a7r ii or a7s ii for video dudes.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...-in-bonus.html
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    '04 4Runner
    I thought about making the switch back in August. I had been shooting the same Rebel XTI I bought new in '07, and I still hadn't spent much on lenses. I 'upgraded' to an older model - original 5d. It turns out I don't care about any of the newer tech. I did play with a couple mirrorless cameras at a store - an A7 and an XT10. I couldn't get over the lag when I pressed the shutter. I felt very out of my comfort zone, lol.

-Dane

My Cars
    m54 sport, m30, 1000cc
    I'm actually pretty interested in making the switch, and I think in 4-5 years it'll be worth it. Right now I don't think there is enough of a lens ecosystem and the tech, while still improving, is still not QUITE enough to make me jump ship from my budget dslr. After a few more iterations of bodies and some lens development it'll be an easy decision.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    My biggest problem was manual focusing with the 5d2. I dumped it for a live viewfinder in the NEX cameras. The weight savings was a godsend. The cameras are customizable that ergonomics should not be a problem.

You can now autofocus with most lenses from any manufacturer.

5 year old post

I still can't... no AF speed booster for M43 to Nikon, only Canon.

I have a Metabones speed boster on my current setup and have to MF everything, which sucks, but with peaking on and video its not horrible, but probably the main reason I haven't fully switched yet.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 01-25-2017 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by curbsideprophet View Post
    I'm actually pretty interested in making the switch, and I think in 4-5 years it'll be worth it. Right now I don't think there is enough of a lens ecosystem and the tech, while still improving, is still not QUITE enough to make me jump ship from my budget dslr. After a few more iterations of bodies and some lens development it'll be an easy decision.
    sony is covered with native af lenses from 18 to 200mm. manual focus you can go down to 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    I still can't... no AF speed booster for M43 to Nikon, only Canon.

I have a Metabones speed boster on my current setup and have to MF everything, which sucks, but with peaking on and video its not horrible, but probably the main reason I haven't fully switched yet.
    I don't mess with video but I thought the new speedboosters AF on m4/3?

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    sony is covered with native af lenses from 18 to 200mm. manual focus you can go down to 10mm.

Depends what lens you go to, right now I am not aware of any that you can on nikon. Canon you can.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    Depends what lens you go to, right now I am not aware of any that you can on nikon. Canon you can.
    Ahh yes nikon You can do it on the sony with a leica af adapter but I'm not sure how the speed is.

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    I rented a Fuji X-Pro2 as I really thought that would be my next camera.

Despite that it was fantastic, and honestly easier to control than my 1Ds now, it did not give me the level of control I am accustomed to on my 1Ds.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it I don't know, but with the crop sensor as well I felt that even with my Original 5D I was capable of taking better photos.

I did love the rangefinder. That was amazing.

I will have to test it out again in the future as lugging around a 1Ds is not always ideal.

My Cars
    m54 sport, m30, 1000cc

My thoughts Centered around budget, although I left that out entirely. If I want a lens from canon, the ecosystem is extensive and developed enough that I can find my desired focal length with about 5 direct swap options - anywhere from super budget up to professional. With Sony, I'm limited to basically Sony lenses due to adapters being slow, but they tend to be pretty damn expensive. I've spent a few days looking at them debating whether to buy a 17-55mm for my canon or just go mirrorless, but it's hard to pull the trigger because the lenses I've seen tend to have higher max apertures too.

I looked at m43 bodies which have a pretty nice lens ecosystem but then I have to deal with a 2x crop factor which limits wide angles.

I would really love to pick one up but those cons make it pretty difficult. Or am I just talking out of my ass like most novices?

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    My thoughts Centered around budget, although I left that out entirely. If I want a lens from canon, the ecosystem is extensive and developed enough that I can find my desired focal length with about 5 direct swap options - anywhere from super budget up to professional. With Sony, I'm limited to basically Sony lenses due to adapters being slow, but they tend to be pretty damn expensive. I've spent a few days looking at them debating whether to buy a 17-55mm for my canon or just go mirrorless, but it's hard to pull the trigger because the lenses I've seen tend to have higher max apertures too.

I looked at m43 bodies which have a pretty nice lens ecosystem but then I have to deal with a 2x crop factor which limits wide angles.

I would really love to pick one up but those cons make it pretty difficult. Or am I just talking out of my ass like most novices?
    Not with a speed booster it fixes that slightly as well as becoming a lens adapter and gives you an extra stop of light. Essentially turning your 50mm f/1.4 into a 35mm f/1.0.

Not only that but a few companies allow remote focus and zoom with their adapter which is a huge advantage for film making and can be a plus for time lapse photography as well.

Last edited by Bsaint; 03-02-2017 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    m54 sport, m30, 1000cc
    Well let me ask you this... keep in mind I'm working on a very small camera budget and not working with professional lenses... would you spend $600 on a new lens for a 12mp canon sensor or would you spend $600 on a sony a6000 with a kit lens?

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Well let me ask you this... keep in mind I'm working on a very small camera budget and not working with professional lenses... would you spend $600 on a new lens for a 12mp canon sensor or would you spend $600 on a sony a6000 with a kit lens?
    almost always when faced with the question of lens vs body debate I would 99% of the time pick the lens.

1. depends on what the lens is, but it will hold it's value, the body will not. Body's get obsolete every week.

2. Sony lens choices are very limited unless you have serious $$$ for zeiss, you will be setting yourself for big money down the road and I don't think the a6000 is going to be a body you stay with long term.

So personally I would buy the Lens