Thread: Transmission fluid change

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ

Transmission fluid change

Ok so I have read all around that bmw "life time fluid" lol. I don't believe in any thing that says life time I'm not that stupid. BUT I am having some issues finding the proper filter and the correct fluid for my 07 525xi E60 N52 6 speed automatic. I do not have the paddle shifters on steering wheel but do have the option to shift manual. I have seen a couple of different filters. One is your typical filter that plugs in then you bolt the pan up, second I have seen and read that they have changed them to the built in pan filters??? Can some one help me with this like what's the best route to go with considering I am gonna be doing it DIY. And what fluid would one recommend? Oh by the way the car has 105,000 miles and I am experiencing a sort of Jerking motion when down shift from 2nd to 1st when. Coming to a stop. I appreciate the help thanks in advance everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    audi a6, bmw 525, vw
    Go to rock auto.com and look at the filters. It should be integrated into the pan. I had the same issue on my 07 and a rebuilt valve body ( mechatronics) fixed it. I replaced the sleeves and fluid while I was at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by skeester View Post
    Go to rock auto.com and look at the filters. It should be integrated into the pan. I had the same issue on my 07 and a rebuilt valve body ( mechatronics) fixed it. I replaced the sleeves and fluid while I was at it.

I have had bad experience with rock auto in the past with my previous truck I had. I had a fuel pump go and ordered one from them. First they sent me the wrong one. No problem they sent out the right one with in 2 days. I installed it. Well 5 months later guess what went again. Lol back to taking the bed off and changing the fuel pump again.

My Cars
    audi a6, bmw 525, vw
    Go somewhere else then. The point is that they show you pictures of the part, so you can tell which version you need.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by skeester View Post
    Go somewhere else then. The point is that they show you pictures of the part, so you can tell which version you need.

Oh ok. Thank you.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    I just did this repair -- AutohausAZ sells a kit which includes the integrated filter/pan -- as well as gasket. You can also buy ATF on there that is well priced. They have Febi-Bilstein which is a shell m 1375.4 equivalent. You can also go with ZF LifeGuard 6, but it's around 280 for the 6 qts you need for the fluid change.

Also, be sure to buy a mechatronics sealing sleeve to replace while you're under there, and a few extra trans bolts in case you break a few.

Good luck!

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post
    I just did this repair -- AutohausAZ sells a kit which includes the integrated filter/pan -- as well as gasket. You can also buy ATF on there that is well priced. They have Febi-Bilstein which is a shell m 1375.4 equivalent. You can also go with ZF LifeGuard 6, but it's around 280 for the 6 qts you need for the fluid change.

Also, be sure to buy a mechatronics sealing sleeve to replace while you're under there, and a few extra trans bolts in case you break a few.

Good luck!
    Wow thanks. I just took a look. For everything and 10 extra bolts $215. Not bad considering I seen people saying goes dealers want to charge like $600-800. My question is why did they change to the built in filter in the pan? Why not use the old style filter that plugs in and just replace the pan gasket? See this is my 2nd automatic vehical I have owned and my first one I had for 10 years. Was a Chevy silverado. Got it with 18k on it and sold it just a few months ago and had 155k. Never had any transmission issues. Never changed the fluid but did check every once in a wile just to make sure it was at proper level. I always thought there was really no need to change. Owes I'm reading alot and getting into this car alot more and taking care of it better lol. I just got it a couple months ago. It has 102k on it and have all documents of services done on it. Transmission fluid was changed at 60k but not the filter witch in that case I want to keep up with it and change the filter this time.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post

Good luck!
    Do you by any chance have the part number for the mechtronics gaskit you are talking about??

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    ECS tuning sells a filter kit and mechatronics sleeve. I used their generic pan and fluid kit on my 08 535xit. On my AWD car it was a pain doing the sleeve due to the tight space.

Hopefully the pan/filter, fluid and sleeve will fix your issue, but many of these auto cars have had more significant issues involving valve body solenoids and the repair cost is much greater. I think you can get rebuilt mechantronics for around $1250.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 01-24-2017 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    ECS tuning sells a filter kit and mechatronics sleeve. I used their generic pan and fluid kit on my 08 535xit. On my AWD car it was a pain doing the sleeve due to the tight space.

Hopefully the pan/filter, fluid and sleeve will fix your issue, but many of these auto cars have had more significant issues involving valve body solenoids and the repair cost is much greater. I think you can get rebuilt mechantronics for around $1250.
    Do you know any sights that might sell rebuilt ones just incase?

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    I went onto autohausAZ and have in my cart the transmission pan/filter, grabbed 10 extra bolts just incase and 7 quarts of fluid and so far the bill with shipping is only at $203 to my door. But I do want to get the mechtronics sleeve gaskit might aswell replace that wile I'm under there but not sure what exactly it looks like or a part number.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Search on ECS and you may find the PN or search on realoem for the sleeve. Google rebuilt mechatronics and look for your application -- year and model car.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 01-24-2017 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Search on ECS and you may find the PN or search on realoem for the sleeve. Google rebuilt mechatronics and look for your application -- year and model car.
    I emailed eurowa about a rebuilt price. I'm gonna change the fluid and pan/filter first see if that is the issue and if not then next step will be changing the mechtronics. I'm gonna have to do my homework with that one. Just sounds complicated lol. Also not sure if anyone has done the filter pan swap on a xdrive but do you have to drop driveshaft at all or is everything accessible?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I did the filter/pan/sleeve on my 08 535xit. It was not much fun. I found a writeup on 5Series.net that was pretty good. That site seems to have the best E60 tech, but come back here and share what you learn and do.

I did the filter/pan/sleeve on my 08 535xit. It was not much fun. I found a writeup on 5Series.net that was pretty good. That site seems to have the best E60 tech, but come back here and share what you learn and do.
    Can you give me some advice getting ready to do mine? I have a 07 530l
    Last edited by eman2007; 11-01-2018 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    bmw 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2007 View Post
    Can you give me some advice getting ready to do mine? I have a 07 530l
    First was i did was 100k then my sec one did it 50k , after that will do it every 50k trasmission oil

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I bought it with 75k now have 123k no problem with the trans yet . I believe this would be the first trans oil and filter change. I don’t believe what BMW says about lifetime oil

Read that mech sleeve comes in 48mm and 35mm . I didn’t know what one my 07 530i sports package has it’s the 255hp motor
    Last edited by eman2007; 11-07-2018 at 10:54 PM.