Thread: F80 Spare Tire options?

My Cars
    2014 328i Sedan

F80 Spare Tire options?

What's out there that can take you out of a pinch when on a road trip?

I've read horror stories of M owners waiting hours for BMW roadside assistance,only to towed to a closed dealer that has to order the replacement tire.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2017 M4 Cabrio, 2017 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessTT View Post
    What's out there that can take you out of a pinch when on a road trip?

I've read horror stories of M owners waiting hours for BMW roadside assistance,only to towed to a closed dealer that has to order the replacement tire.
    Why not use the mobility kit in your trunk? The sealant goop will seal most tire wounds temporarily and the compressor will eventually air it up enough to drive for a bit.

While the tire is filling, use your nav system or phone to find a tire place, then drive directly there. They'll probably have something that'll fit well enough to get you home.

If you're on a road trip, that trunk is probably too full to hold even a mini-spare, so as far as I'm concerned "road trip" in an M car means you don't really have the option to carry a tire. I'm also assuming that it means you have a schedule and a time limit so don't want to hang around waiting for a tire.

When I've been towed to a dealer that had to wait for a part, I've always ended up with a loaner. If you're far from home and need to continue or return, you can get a one-way rental and have your car delivered. There are solutions that prevent "horror stories".

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I carry a tire plug kit in addition to the mobility system. The goo is not ideal but will work, but if it is a nail which most of the time it is, I'll plug it to get me where I need to go until a proper fix can be had. I think the biggest problem we have as M owners is finding a tire place that has the proper size readily available as well as having competent tire people there to dismount and mount the new tire.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2014 328i Sedan

F80 Spare Tire options?

All good points and I totally agree that plug kits, goo and inflators give us options.

I can see myself doing any of these things. However, my lady drives the M often in and out of town. Last thing I want is to have her stranded on the side of the road...I don't see her using a plug kit, but definitely changing a tire

Last edited by toplessTT; 07-26-2017 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    '17 M3, '03 M5, '95 M3
    '21 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (blk/blk), '17 M3 (Tanzanite / Golden Brown)
    '95 E36 M3 Race Car (Cosmos Black S54 swapped CM/GTS-4)

My Cars
    F30 328i M Sport EBII
    The nice thing about living in the snow belt is that we have snow tires and wheels. I just throw one of my front snows in the trunk or back seat for long trips. You can go to TireRack and get a single 18" wheel and tire with TPMS sensor for around $300. This is a full-size tire and wheel that could go a long distance, which is what you would need if you blew a flat out in BFE.

I highly recommend you keep a 17mm socket and wrench in the car, as well as the BMW scissor jack kit. Also get the plug kit as stated above. It's a far more ideal option than the goop kit, but I'd still keep the mobility goop kit in the vehicle just in case.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M4
    Also carry the emergency kit from Bimmerzone, factory goo kit, but also a real plug kit and compressor. The goo kit will make a mess of your wheel. My joy is to drive the remote canyons of southern and central California. They are some of the best twisting and plunging roads in the nation. However, they are usually devoid of cell service and sadly, stone cuts to the sidewalls are not uncommon. As such, the tire is trashed and there you are... I have had nine Audi's (mostly S and RS versions) who's square fitment makes this problem a lot less of a headache. I always carry a full size spare with those cars.

I have been in contact with Turner Motorsports which suggest an 18" square fitment of 275/35-18 all around with a 18x10 25mm wheel fitment for the M3/M4. My new M4 has the Competition package, so the 20" eye candy wheels are beautiful, but heavier than an 18" setup. The air cavity on a 265/30-20 is so small that pressure variation is a day-today issue. An overnight canyon drive can start at dawn in Idylwild with temps in the high 40's and be in the Sespes by noon with temps in the high 90's. Ultra-low profile tires add unnecessary complexity but everyone's doing it...

Happy Motoring

Eric

My Cars
    2015 BMW M3
    Yea this spare kit will definitely help. I was surpirse when I couldn't find a spare in the trunk when I first got the car.

My Cars
    2014 328i Sedan
    FYI, I ended up getting the bimmerzone spare kit...jack and tire fit in the back without issues!

My Cars
    BMW M3
    My only issue an an M owner is finding competent people with skill to change (unmount & mount) a BMW M series tire. But I always use the mobility kit in the trunk as my first option. To be honest, ive only faced a tire issue once till date.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebarrell View Post
    My only issue an an M owner is finding competent people with skill to change (unmount & mount) a BMW M series tire.
    THIS.

I never had tire issues before. I mean never. But I always had full spare. Now I got M3 and of course there is Murphy law.And of course, I was crossing street next to my office and caught WHEEL WEIGHT. One of those finger-size things. I believe it's thanks to MPSS tires, other tire wouldn't "stick" it. Within 100 feet I didn't have any air in tire. Cut was about 1/2 inch. No plug or goo would help. It was OK to mount run flats and take away spare. But it wasn't OK to give us back good tires (on M cars) but without spare..

This is real horror story. I did pull into parking lot luckily. I had winter wheels in garage so I had wife bring me jack and one of those wheels. Then I took bad wheel to trusted shop to mount. All took 1 week for tire to come in, take car there, etc.At this point I just don't take this car outside of city. And I got E34 to have something with full size spare

If I HAVE to travel far - I will carry full wheel with me. Jack and wrench.

OTOH - we have Odyssey with spare. This donut thing. Had to use it once, used it for 2 days, then realized it's good for only 60 miles. If you are on a road trip, what good is it going to do to have this kind of "donut" spare?? 60 miles not that much..
    Last edited by katit2; 12-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.