Thread: Garage tool pegboard, Bayerische style

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3

Garage tool pegboard, Bayerische style

As if I don't have enough projects in my life, I decided to spruce up an old pegboard and hang it in the garage.

2016-12-19 19.26.28.jpg

Step one: Paint white. Mask off pegboard. Find a good-resolution BMW logo, measure it, scale up the measurements to fit the pegboard. Break out the compass from the old engineering drafting kit. Draw on the blue tape. It's all just a series of concentric circles anyway.

20170102_181356.jpg

Step two: Carefully carve out the appropriate sections with a razor. Paint appropriate sections with appropriate color. Wait for logo paint to dry. Mask again, but just the top and bottom this time. Stencil in "Bayerische Motoren Werke," or whatever tickles your fancy. Cut those letters out, paint appropriate color.

20170102_183858.jpg

Step three: let dry again. Locate some suitable wood that spans the top and bottom of the pegboard to allow the pegboard to stand off from the wall. Locate wall studs, drill pilot holes through the wood and into the studs. Screw the wood to the studs. Then screw the pegboard to the wood. Mount tools as needed.

20170116_172951-1.jpg

I ran out of hooks for my pegboard. Anyways, the important thing was the blue paint for the roundel. I'm told the proper color is Pantone Process Blue. Lowe's did at one time sell Pantone-licensed paint, but that partnership ended some time ago. Luckily, my local Lowe's had one Pantone color swatch book left over from those days, and it had a color that matched pretty closely -- called Blithe. They can mix any color from those books, or any color sample you bring in, as long as it's large enough.

Any hardware store that mixes and sells paint can mix you up a small sample of any color. It's the perfect amount for projects like this, and the paint is pretty durable because it's house paint. Easy clean-up, too.

After I did all this work, my wife had a look. "You know, you're just going to cover it with tools, right?" she said. Indeed, but I know what's behind the tools. It's the details that count. Also, my garage doesn't have much wall space, so I make do with what I've got.
    How to-videos and more at Cludgecast on YouTube

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    WOW That turned out well. Seriously like it a lot.