Thread: I've finally actually joined

My Cars
    1995 540 6 Speed

I've finally actually joined

Hello,
    My name is Joe, and I'm a caraholic (waits for hello Joe) It's been 3 months since I last bought or sold a car. It's all fun and games until I realize it's true lol.

I've found a TON of useful information on here over the last 18 months or so since I got the car. It seemed every week started with me tracking down a new symptom, and thinking well at least I can hop on here and finally ask someone a question and get an answer. Except I searched and found what I was after and dove back under my car. So yeah, a year and a half, many hours of which pulled into the shop during lunch brakes or on weekends. Ive spent many dozens of hours on troubleshooting and labor, and I've spent 7X what I paid for the car on parts in that time as well. I can say this car is TOTALLY worth it.

Who knows, when I get my next set of parts collected, I may even start a project thread.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hey Joe - let's see some photos of the car that you've been working on for so long man! Let us know if there is anything that we can help you with.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Welcome aboard. Yours is one of the more desirable incarnations of the model.
    Photos and tell us what you've done so far please.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 540 6 Speed
    Thank you.
    I have always wanted a 32V V8, 6 speed with three pedals, not a button to shift, and DOHC, black on black with doors to let friends and/or little ones in and out of the back.

I was running a shop that specialized in stock cars, drag cars, and stuff nobody else in town could work on (all the way back into the 20's) One of my mechanics told me about a friend of his that had this car he was going to sell for a grand. I didn't believe it was real so I said please have him bring it in. I took a look and it was quite neglected, barely ran, no brakes, no clutch, and half the things that showed it's German engineering didn't work. I actually passed for a while, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Some time passed and it came by again, so I gave him $900 for the key and title.

Since then it has had countless diagnostic time!!! followed by vacuum lines, etc
    40k miles (in less than two years)
    radiator (twice)
    water pump
    thermostat
    coolant hoses including the HVAC hose I like to call Cerberus
    overflow tank
    hvac water pump assembly
    valve cover gaskets
    PCV plate gaskets
    4 sets of tires
    Front brakes
    Rear brakes
    18lb single mass steel flywheel (freaking love this thing!!!!!!)
    stage I clutch kit (pedal is slightly more firm but daily useable)
    motor mounts, followed by poly motor mounts after another stock torn mount
    thrust arm bushings followed by correctly installed thrust arm bushings - lol
    front struts (twice)
    HR springs (I tried 3 different sets of springs that lifted the car while thinking about making a mad max beast)
    several different exhausts (I love welding)
    Pioneer MP3 CD player (one of the best things I've done to the car)
    both side mirrors
    repaired torn drivers door
    driver inner door pull cable
    driver inner door pull
    driver door latch/power lock assembly
    purchased 3 exterior broken drivers door handles on the internet when promised they weren't broken, finally replaced broken driver door handle with less broken driver door handle.
    driver seat cable fix
    battery
    new windshield with no chrome molding
    blackout exterior chrome molding
    "modified" front and rear bumpers for even lines and clearance after damage

This is just off the top of my mind, I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. I've given this thing tons of love.
    What I want to do
    another windshield (damn hail), manual sport seats, maybe a different set of OEM BBS wheels, War chip, injectors, Supercharger, LSD tint windows, yet another exhaust, yet another set of struts,
    I need to figure out what happened to the glovebox. After I replaced the cabin air filter a couple weeks ago, it suddenly decided it won't open.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quite a list. Nice to see a car that gets what it needs.
    Glove box may be out of alignment, keep at it. If not, #3 here; http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_1056

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 540 6 Speed
    Thank you. I think that will be a good resource, and you're probably right about number 3. I released the hinges on the back and was able to pull it open enough to see that the latches weren't releasing.

Here are some pictures:

Yes this is my daily driver up and down the mountain pass everyday. With a good set of snow tires it does great!

Zackman pulling the CD changer out. He loves his new tool set.

Ok I'm going to stop there, I've tried photobucket and dropbox both. It doesn't look like the pictures are going to work. Apparently I need to learn how to post before I try to add pictures.

To be continued.....

My Cars
    1995 540 6 Speed
    I think I've figured out how to post pictures.
    Here's some info.
    My super son helping me get a project started in the shop
    10923646_901302663235012_7055401920659630502_o_zpsnmiynbey.jpg

20160629_190808_zpsfbwf8igl.jpg
    I actually put it up for sale in this condition a while ago. Fortunately nobody was actually interested.

20160924_174135_zpsjrq2qzdl.jpg
    TTV Flywheel

20160924_190754_zpsant9vlfp.jpg
    This is what happens when you let a friend help you in exchange for beer.
    P.S. The stage one southbend non sprung hub clutch works just fine with a single mass flywheel. It's only a little heavier than stock and is fine unless you're in stop and go for a long period of time.

20161010_165329_zpsoqxlyxsp.jpg
    Maybe I should have used a little more discretion when testing the exhaust. (yes a recent hail storm took out my brand new windshield.)

Also a question. I'm running an electric fan and keep blowing fuses, the fuse case is even a little warped from heat. What are you guys using for an electric fan wiring setup?