Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Formula Drift Rule Changes

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

2017 Formula Drift Rule Changes

I was just checking out some stuff for a customer, and noticed the 2017 rulebook was released and there seems to be quite a few updates. In no order:

Any means or tactic used that could deceive the judges or interfere with the judging process is strictlyprohibited and will be subject to disciplinary actions.

As of 2017 removal of the trunk sill portion at the base of the rear window is prohibited. Current VIDvehicles will be grandfathered in until the 2018 season.

Dislodged weight ballast cannot be returned to the vehicle for weight in purposes.

Unless factory OEM- All bumpers must be made entirely of magnetic steel

Bumper must be constructed of 1 inch to 1.75 inch o.d. tubing with a minimum wall thickness of 0.063 inchto a maximum wall thickness of 0.125 inch.

All bumper tubing must remain hollow.

Bumpers must be fastened to the vehicle with a minimum of (4) 3/8 inch fasteners per side (minimum Grade5) or welded to prevent the bumper from being dislodged from the vehicle.

Bumpers mounts with quick release pins are allowed with sleeved tubing.

Bumpers should be rounded off or capped off to prevent becoming locked to or piercing another vehicle.

Bumpers at minimum must span the width of the front and rear frame rails.

Tubing must not be exposed and must remain behind the bumper covers with minimal clearance betweenthe bumper cover and the bumper bar itself.

Bumper bars must remain in the confines of the body lines and body work, without additional covers orbody work extensions in order to do so.

The bumper covers must be approved by Formula Drift and be acceptable to the Competition Director.

Bumper must be fixed use of shocks absorbers / dampers, springs, pivots and slip joint will not be allowed inthe design of the bumper structure

In-cockpit / Driver adjustable suspension will not be allowed. Examples include but not limited to sway barsand electronic shock / damper adjusters such as the Tein EDFC.

No suspension changes or adjustments will be allowed between runs

B. Brake systems that use of a single (non-tandem) master cylinder to operate all 4 wheels are prohibited.

Brake systems may be biased only front to rear. No brake bias may be used in a side to side configuration.

When a brake light pressure sensor is used it must be mounted in line with the front brake master cylinderand have no restrictions in between.

Brake pressure switch must be mounted within 1 foot of the master cylinder.

Brake lights must operate with the ignition off, only the master cutoff being on is required for operation.

Beadlocks, wheel screws and any means of attachment between wheel and tire is prohibited.

The space between the rim and the internal portion of the tire must be filled only with air. Use of innertubes, tire balls, Mousse, Tubliss systems, and tire pressure relief valves are not allowed.

Wheels must be DOT approved for use on passenger car vehicles including bead seat profile and dimensions.

Wheel tethers are recommended on the front and rear wheel for 2017, but may be required for 2018

Safety fuel cell support structures must be welded to the vehicle. Bolt on support structures are prohibited.

All Nitrous bottles must be recertified every 5 years and stamped to indicate the last inspection date.

All Nitrous bottle must be stamped with minimum DOT -1800 pound rating.

The use of commercially available thermostatically controlled bottle warmers is accepted. The use of anyother method of externally heating nitrous bottles is prohibited.

A maximum of two batteries are allowed on vehicles with an internal combustion engine.

Bumper bars must remain in the confines of the body lines and body work, without additional covers orbody work extensions in order to do so.

The bumper covers must be approved by Formula Drift and be acceptable to the Competition Director.

All aftermarket panels and aerodynamic devices must be securely fastened to the vehicle and are subject toapproval of the Competition Director.

Doors must be mounted to the chassis with unmodified factory hinges. (quick release doors are prohibited)

Doors must use the factory latch mechanism

Doors with an exposed interior must have the sharp edges removed or covered.

Wings with standoffs must have the endplates and the wing tethered with independent cables to thevehicle. Contact Formula Drift for the specifications required on wing tethers

OEM mirrors in the OEM mounting position are encouraged.

Brake lights and tail lights may only be red, tinting is prohibited.

Headlight replacements and modifications are subject to approve by the COMPETITION DIRECTOR.

The dashboard must be either stock or fiberglass stock appearing replacement.

Sheetmetal dashboards are prohibited.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like no more ChaseBays master cylinders, and no more Denofa-esque springy systems. Also, Wheel tethers, probably a good idea after the unfortunate events of last season

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Thanks for posting all this.
    I'm pretty excited for this years competition. Pro1 and Pro2.
    Looking out for Blake Olsen (e92), Danny George (e36), Andy Hateley (e30) in pro 2.
    Pro1 I'm mostly excited to see how Ryan Litteral does, and of course Denofa.
    Last edited by Press22; 01-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Internet rumor has it Denofa will be in a Mustang next season, and his subtle hints on IG seem to agree with that.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Internet rumor has it Denofa will be in a Mustang next season, and his subtle hints on IG seem to agree with that.
    I dunno. His e46 is currently motorless and was getting worked on in a couple videos I've seen.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Hmmm. I heard rumor a while back (via formula derp) that Gittin was taking him in to form a 2 mustang team. Who knows how accurate this is, but in a recent instgram post he posted a photo of the LS saying "another trusty STEED with about 800whp NA coming soon" So it sounds like he's either going to be driving a mustang or at least have a mustang drivetrain this time around.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Hmmm. I heard rumor a while back (via formula derp) that Gittin was taking him in to form a 2 mustang team. Who knows how accurate this is, but in a recent instgram post he posted a photo of the LS saying "another trusty STEED with about 800whp NA coming soon" So it sounds like he's either going to be driving a mustang or at least have a mustang drivetrain this time around.
    Who knows, it could happen.
    It's a little sad. Mike Essas Camaro year was quite disappointing. Kristaps Bluss is my next favorite driver in a BMW. and I cheer on Forrest Wang since he's from here and a stand up guy (though I don't think he's competing this year)
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I love Bluss and the HGK cars. I think he will be in an E92 this season IIRC. I was about to bring up Wang too, lol. I saw both his cars for sale, so I assume he's done with FD? It also sounded like Alex won't be with Get Nuts anymore based on his interview on Maximum Driftcast a while ago.

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    I see lots of good stuff here. The wing tethers are absolutely necessary, both Pollock and Kearney had a broken rear wing nearly come through their window last year, and of course it also protects fans and course workers.

I agree with the bumper regulations too, I think it looks much more professional if you have actual bodywork covering the tubes. Not to say some tubular bash bars don't look awesome and Mad-Max, but for a competition trying to attract average viewers and connect with brands, it's a better direction for cars to be recognizable. Chelsea's rear shock-absorber thing (originally a Bergenholtz creation) can still be achieved with curved thin wall tubes acting as springs. You could even do flexure joints.

I like that you can't remove the whole parcel shelf now too.

No change to suspension between tandem runs is definitely a good rule. Everyone runs different setups in lead and follow so it's hard to gauge how your opponent is actually going to perform. I mean, that's fine cause it's legal, and I guess helps when you have to follow a slower car, but at least you can still raise tire pressure if your car is honestly too fast trying to follow a terrible car.

They should probably add a hand-brake light. Basically a blue led strip right along with the red one so the judges can see clearly who is riding handbrake and also catch small corrections even in the smoke.

One thing I really wish they would change though; just mandate a minimum tire pressure like every other race series in the world. So now you have to run a DOT wheel and NOT add knurling, bite grooves, or anything else to help the damn tires stay beaded. Well teams are going to run 6psi if they can legally, and always be on the edge of de-beading a tire.

Yes that's the competitors problem if they get DQ, but honestly, it sucks for the fans. We want to see every battle end with a WIN, not technicalities.

Just mandate a tire pressure already. 15psi at ambient temp, done.
    Last edited by SLR; 01-16-2017 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I love Bluss and the HGK cars. I think he will be in an E92 this season IIRC. I was about to bring up Wang too, lol. I saw both his cars for sale, so I assume he's done with FD? It also sounded like Alex won't be with Get Nuts anymore based on his interview on Maximum Driftcast a while ago.
    Yeah I believe he's done. His crew chief opened his own shop down here and the other guy who worked on the cars left to WA. So unless Wang is planning a 1 man show he's out. I haven't seen his cars for sale though?

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I think they should also add a hand-brake light. Basically a blue led strip right along with the red one so the judges can see clearly who is riding handbrake and also catch small corrections even in the smoke.
    I have always thought the same thing. Also enforcing the brake light rule more. Like when Forsberg went into Wang and his brake lights didn't work and that whole controversy.
    I don't know, maybe they should rely on something more reliable than ebay LED strips 3M taped to windshield with shitty solder contacts.
    Last edited by Press22; 01-16-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    This is what I saw, but I can't tell who posted it.

15621920_10100915822642046_7240986253632152844_n.jpg

Also, I was under the impression the handbrake was lit via an inline brake light switch? I never really paid attention though.

I am honestly suprised wheel tethers aren't mandatory after the recent death in Japan to a spotter

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Also as for 2017 driver's plans, I don't know much about the others, but I'm surprised the Chelsea rumor isn't more well-known.

Also Alec Hohnadell contacted us several months ago about an E46 kit, and just a few days ago he tested a LC500 at the local racetrack.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Also as for 2017 driver's plans, I don't know much about the others, but I'm surprised the Chelsea rumor isn't more well-known.

Also Alec Hohnadell contacted us several months ago about an E46 kit, and just a few days ago he tested a LC500 at the local racetrack.
    Alec daily drives a E46 and drifts it during off-season if I recall correctly. Probably wants a car he can bring out to our local events, think he did 2 in his pro car of about 15 VegasDrift events.
    Last edited by Press22; 01-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    I am honestly suprised wheel tethers aren't mandatory after the recent death in Japan to a spotter
    Yea, for sure that's probably what prompted that, however wheel tethers aren't really all that successful, especially with heavy street wheels and tires. Even in F1 they often break the tethers and the wheel flies of anyway. They're also not cheap for good kevlar ones.

Also obviously it's impossible to tether just the wheel, so you're looking at the wheel, hub, knuckle, caliper, rotor and strut or trailing arm. So much weight there.

The lost wheel issue is much more often caused by crap wheel studs and aluminum or titanium nuts. I don't think I've ever seen a full wheel/knuckle, brake assembly come off and travel any real distance in FD. Working out the tether attachments to the knuckle and chassis also is a consideration.

Mandate quality BBS or ARP wheel studs, and steel nuts only. I've used that forever and never had a problem.
    Last edited by SLR; 01-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    True. If I read correct info, the death was caused by a complete knuckle/hub assembly detaching with the wheel, rather then just the wheel coming off, but yeah 99% of them are people too lazy to torque lugnuts. I also read (like you said) that f1 wasn't having good luck with them.

Oh man, If Honnadell showed up in an E46 that would be amazing. He's already one of my favorite driver's, to see him slaying in a BMW would be great.

My Cars
    98 328is

I like that you can't remove the whole parcel shelf now too.
    as i was reading the rules, this is something i couldnt understand. well that, and the factory looking dash. what do these achieve?

My Cars
    98 323
    My guess is that they want to keep the cars as relatable and recognizable as possible to increase manufacturer sponsorship potential
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    All bumper tubing must remain hollow.
    Who would fill them. And with what? Why?

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Who would fill them. And with what? Why?
    beans, so my car sounds like a rain stick.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    as i was reading the rules, this is something i couldnt understand. well that, and the factory looking dash. what do these achieve?
    They used to flat out require an OEM dash, at least they let you use fiberglass ones now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    My guess is that they want to keep the cars as relatable and recognizable as possible to increase manufacturer sponsorship potential
    And yep I think this. They want the cars to be relatable to keep people interested.

- - - Updated - - -

I think some people use thin wall tubing and fill it with a sort of foam as a crash structure? Sean mentioned it in my build thread

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    This is what I saw, but I can't tell who posted it.

15621920_10100915822642046_7240986253632152844_n.jpg
    I know for a fact that Forrest's girlfriend ( @2jzgrl on IG ) made a for sale post for both cars in December. It's a real shame if he's totally getting out of the game.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Update on Forrest. Won't be competing
    Photo Jan 16, 10 07 52 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Press22; 01-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    That's a huge bummer. Oh well, maybe he'll come to another drift colorado event sometime then! haha

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS6 E36 drifter, 18 f350
    These are all reasonable rules I think. Sounds like FD is tired of car bumpers flying apart and the cars looking like sh!t after a half lap!

If they dont start making more rules now, soon they will all be full tube chassis cars with sticker headlights that aren't even recognizable!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Another drop in the "Chelsea will be driving a mustang" bucket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast