Thread: M50 NV MAF / AFM upgrade

My Cars
    Boston Grün E36 M-Te

M50 NV MAF / AFM upgrade

Hello,
    First of all I've been thinking a lot where to post this, and couldn't manage to find the right place for my question, so this is the best I could come up with.
    Also english is not my native language, so I might be prone to mistakes or not-making perfect sense at all times.

I have searched in all depths of the interwebs but couldn’t find an exact answer to my question.
    I’m just hoping someone will see this and might just know the situation.

I’m looking for a upgrade (larger) MAF/AFM that will work with the E36 M50 (Non-Vanos) wiring-loom/ecu , that is Motronic 3.1.
    The M50 Vanos can use a M3 S50 MAF but the Non-Vanos may not.
    From what I’ve learned on the forums, I suspect a V8 M60 maf will work, but NOT the M62 one.
    M62 is vanos(albeit after ‘98) and M60 is not, so my assumption is mainly based on that.
    M60 is a motronic 3.3 (M62 don’t know what platform is using)

My funds are practically non-existent at this moment, so I can not afford by any means to spend 150-200 Eur on a new MAF and risk not being at any use.

If anyone has more info on this, please let me know.

*I will go with a 2.8 stroker, CAI and S50 ITB's, so my intake will be 'bottle neck' restricted at the MAF. All my effort in upgrading the engine(stroker) and intake will be greatly restricted if the engine will still have to suck air trough the same small MAF of the stock 2.5.

*I have considered in moding the MAF to sit in a bigger housing, but the construction of the MAF makes this very challenging if possible at all. Also even after the remap, given the nature of Motronic code, the MAF sensor will not know/learn in any way that is in a larger housing. (this is from my basic understanding/knowledge in motronic ECUs)
    E36/4 Boston Grün "Class II"
    E36/4 Cosmos Schwarz "Class II"
    18" BBS RC / 18" BBS LM

My Cars
    BMW 535i
    Hi,
    Also interested in this, my M50B25 NV MAF with a 860 ohm resistor was maxing out at around 10 psi/ 280hp and the driveability was pretty bad any below 3k rpm.
    Now i'm going for a 2.7 stroker with a bigger turbo and I been told by a few tuners that putting that NV element in a larger housing (3.5''?) will work, has to be rescaled of course.
    But like mikeySKZ said it might be quite hard to fab up a housing for that element

My Cars
    E34 525i M50B25 Non-Vano
    Hi guys, I built a M50B30 Non-vanos stroker with M54 parts and have 240/24 cams and headers installed. I'm also interested in larger MAF. What did you guys do as solution?

My Cars
    BMW 535i
    If you're using stock throttle body I don't see a need for a larger MAF, the stock MAF should be good enough for the power you're making.
    But like I said in my previous post, fab a 3.5'' housing, add a resistor on the signal wire and you should be good for 500hp i'm guessing