Thread: F10 535i xDrive, the Dinan Performance Tuner Stage 1 & the aFe CAI won't play nice

My Cars
    2012 535i xDrive

F10 535i xDrive, the Dinan Performance Tuner Stage 1 & the aFe CAI won't play nice

Hi All - I have had my Dinan tune in this car for a couple of years and works perfect. Recently wanted to upgrade the exhaust (Dinan Free Flow exhaust) and to a CAI - unfortunately Dinan makes one for the N55 but not for the 535. So I went with the aFe Power Magnum Force Stage-2 Intake system.

Within a few drives, I started getting check engine lights. Ultimately my tech got it down to the following codes:

Code 101F01 - Intake pipe absolute pressure, plausibility: Pressure too high
    Code 101002 - Air mass, plausibility; Air mass too low
    Code 118001 - Mixture control: mixture too lean

Possible causes were the CAI, the MAF/MAP and/or the tune. Replacing the stock CAI has eliminated the issue, so the assumption is that the tune and the CAI do not play nice.

Tried to get support from Dinan and aFe - not helpful, and not surprised there.

I did appreciate the difference the CAI made and would hope to make it work. I take it that would entail getting the tune to understand the CAI. Are there independent tuners out there that could solve this issue? If not, I have an aFe CAI for sale...

My Cars
    Restore your vehicle back to the way it was before the cold air intake. If all goes back to normal, then obviously the intake was too much. Maybe too free flowing, allowing too much air.

If you still have the problem after that, then I would suspect the Dinan piggy back unit itself. We've seen a ton of them here at work that cause constant check engine lights. Most of them have been running on the car for several months or years. Then out of nowhere... check engine lights come on a regular basis. Only way to fix it is to remove the piggy back unit. Dinan isn't much help.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2012 535i xDrive
    Thanks, man. Since returning back to stock intake, no codes and no issues. Guess this CAI is going to be put up for sale now. Oh well.