Thread: Z4 Research

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 Roasdter

Z4 Research

I used to own a 2000 Z3 and I am considering purchasing a Z4 between 2003 and 2008. I know that these cars have probably the best engine ever made but I'm sure there are things to watch for when buying them used. So I'm hoping you guys can tell me what to watch (and listen) for when I am checking one out for purchase. I have heard that valve timing can be an issue as well as the power soft top.

I am interested in one with a 3 liter engine, 6-speed manual transmission, power top and heated seats. I'm hoping to find one with low miles (below 70K). Anything you can tell me about that I should be aware of or keep my eyes peeled for would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
    Fleet:
    2003 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    Roadster folks can tell you what to look for in terms of top mechanism, something about the motor being in a bad place and possibly getting wet? Manual transmission is harder to find than automatic. I'm not aware of any particular gearbox/clutch issues. Early cars had a 'sticky steering' issue that sounds serious enough that if I were looking I'd be sure to buy something new enough to not have the issue; forum search will find more details on that. VANOS can act up but I'm not aware of it causing damage to engine internals. Plastic water pump causes people to curse and should probably be replaced preemptively. Oh and the cupholders suck.
    Last edited by wdb; 01-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Google that request, you will get responses from all BMW forums, including this one. Giving you a more comprehensive list of items.

My Cars
    '06 Z4 3.0si Coupe
    I second the water pump issue. Seller should tell you upfront that he's replaced it... if somehow it hasn't been replaced in that year range, even a 40K mile '08, it WILL be going soon.

Lifter ticking would be another thing on the N52 3.0 engine. Has to do with too much oil draining from the valve lifters when it sits, and oil being slow to get up there when it starts in the cold. Wouldn't have mentioned it (because it's common to most/all of these engines, only happens ~<40F, and doesn't really indicate anything bad), but it is January and you appear to be in PA. So it would manifest as a pretty noticeable ticking in time with RPM, which goes away when the engine warms. I suppose a few people had their engine partially rebuilt under warranty to correct this... but I got the feeling not a lot did.

Also just look at some of the rubber parts. The window cowl (under wipers) likely will be pretty cracked if it hasn't been replaced ($150 piece) and the valve cover gasket will likely have dried out resulting in a slow oil leak (just got a $500 estimate on mine... but it's a $100 kit if you do it yourself).