Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Wireless back-up camera - Pearl RearVision

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d

Lightbulb Wireless back-up camera - Pearl RearVision

My 2014 328d didn't come with a backup camera, and the local shop that BMW recommended wants $1300 to install the OEM system. (BMW dealer would not do it)
    I researched a lot, then went with the wireless (WiFi/Bluetooth) Pearl RearVision system: $500.
    It displays the camera view on your phone (iOS or android) - comes with magnetic phone mount that can clip removably to the air vent slats or more permanently to a supplied mount that sticks to your dash. I'm using the removable mount. Just putting the phone on the mount activates the camera software.

Anyone else tried this product on a bimmer?

The camera is solar-charged (with USB backup charing option), embedded in a license place frame with antitheft attachment.
    - has really good image quality day and night, and has 170 degree view, with audio and visual warnings when you get close to objects, people, etc.

It installed in under 10 min (from beginning to open the packaging to configuring the app on the phone). It took about 2 minutes to set up the phone.
    The system includes a small sender unit that plugs into the OBD port.

So far, it works well - already saved me one time from backing into a mailbox I didn't see at night.

But, one has to occasionally restart the phone to get the camera-->phone connection to re-establish.
    The biggest 'con' is you have to activate the app before backing up (one-touch) because it doesn't start automatically when shifting into reverse (hopefully a future firmware update will add that?).

At $500, it seems expensive, but I saved more than that in retrospective installation of the OEM system.
    - way better than adding a separate display, and doing all that extra wiring, and making everything jive with the car's electrical system sensing software.

- I just can't find any examples online of people adding this to a bimmer - wondering why.
    Last edited by nquigley; 01-13-2017 at 01:13 PM.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    I added the $12 eBay camera to my 04 nav for a total cost of $30 in parts, relay, and wire.

That's probably why.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5