Thread: Anyone knows how I can temporarily disable Comfort Access in a 2011 F01?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 730d

Anyone knows how I can temporarily disable Comfort Access in a 2011 F01?

Hi,

I just bought a 2011 F01 and I love it. And I love Comfort Access, and contrary to other people's experience I read here and there, it has always worked well for me.

The only problem I have with it is that it allows anyone to open the car and drive it without using the key, as long as the key is nearby.

I'll explain: I love that I can come from the supermarket with shopping bags in my hands, and I don't need to take out the key and can simply open the trunk with one finger. Great.

On the other hand, I park the car in my garage, enter my home through the kitchen door (adjacent to the garage), and I put the key (and wallet and such) in a drawer right there next to the kitchen door. That is what I've always done, but the drawer where I put the key is about 1m away from the car (with a wall in between), and so now anyone that makes it into the garage (through the garage door) can open any door of the car (after a few attempts, because for some doors the distance is close to the limits, but I'm sure that the garage being a closed space is increasing the range). I'm also not sure if the car can be driven away (in the right conditions, or after the right number of attempts), and what happens if the key doesn't follow the car (the kitchen door is harder to break into, so it would be hard for a thief to get to the key in the drawer in the kitchen).

Also, I lock the car not only as theft protection, but also to make sure the kids don't get into the car (one of my friend's kids once burnt a finger playing with the cigarette lighter in the car, and if the kid hadn't hurt himself first then he would probably just continued on playing with the lighter until he could start a fire somewhere).

I tried putting the key in a tin container inside the drawer, but that makes no difference. I then tried a tin container that has a lid, but the doors can still be opened (but the number of attempts increases, so the metal lid helped). I also tried to put the key in closed metal box, and that box inside another closed metal box, and that box in the drawer, and none of the doors opened after 10 or 15 attempts. So I thought I had a solution, but when I repeated the test an hour later I opened the trunk on the first try.

What I do now is leave the key on the other side of the house, which is very inconvenient, and it is now much easier for me to forget the key in my pants (if I don't take it out right away) and I can imagine that one day I will find the key in the washing machine.

So, I would like to temporarily disable Comfort Access whenever I want to. Ideally, there would be some button for that, or some sequence that would temporarily disable Comfort Access (until the next time I unlock the car, for example), or even a menu option (even if hidden).

Does anyone know if there is any way to temporarily disable Comfort Access?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    You can disable it using a scanner/coder but that would require knowledge of re-programming. Even if you do that, I'm not sure you'll be able to have an "on/off" switch for it. I also have comfort access, but it isn't nearly as sensitive as yours. I have to have the key on me in order to open the car. Other members may chime in. Best of luck!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2012 750i
    Try tin foil. Put the fob (remote) in tin foil or a tin foil lined container.

My Cars
    Sorry, there is no way to disable it as you are wanting.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician