Thread: Tire help here please.

My Cars
    2002 530i

Tire help here please.

Hi guys New here my names tony. I have a question I bought some 19" rims for my 530i and the tires on them are real rough so I need new ones. What's on there is 255 35R 19 but I want to know if I can get a smaller size tire on there as they rub when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right. I know they gotta be19. But can the 255 or the 35R change? As you can see I know sfa about tires. I don't wanna waste my money on. Something. That won't work. Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E39 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    See here:
    https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Start with the known stock size for your year/model. You'll want something that matches close to stock OD & width.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    Pardon the thread hijack, but I have a tire question myself. I'm running a staggered set of style 32's on my touring, so obviously you can't rotate the tires. While the fronts are fine after 10k miles, the rears are about done and I was shocked at the wear during the yearly inspection. I'm assuming the culprit is the rear suspension settings. What are you guys running in regard to rear toe to help mitigate excessive tire wear?
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
    Pardon the thread hijack, but I have a tire question myself. I'm running a staggered set of style 32's on my touring, so obviously you can't rotate the tires. While the fronts are fine after 10k miles, the rears are about done and I was shocked at the wear during the yearly inspection. I'm assuming the culprit is the rear suspension settings. What are you guys running in regard to rear toe to help mitigate excessive tire wear?
    I think running new control arms and balljoints will be your best option here. The control arm eccentric bolts are what sets the camber, and if the balljoints/control arm balljoints on your carrier are bad it will let the toe creep out more and more as it wears. Gravity!

My rear toe looks stancetarded from bad control arm balljoints, yet I looked at the main rear balljoint and all the boots look good. All the parts are original from 2001 w/80k miles on them. I get real bad squeaks from the rear end when loading/unloading the suspension

Also while it might not help much you may reduce wear by running a square set of wheels/tires.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by WBAD530i View Post
    I think running new control arms and balljoints will be your best option here. The control arm eccentric bolts are what sets the camber, and if the balljoints/control arm balljoints on your carrier are bad it will let the toe creep out more and more as it wears. Gravity!

My rear toe looks stancetarded from bad control arm balljoints, yet I looked at the main rear balljoint and all the boots look good. All the parts are original from 2001 w/80k miles on them. I get real bad squeaks from the rear end when loading/unloading the suspension

Also while it might not help much you may reduce wear by running a square set of wheels/tires.
    I hear ya about running the square setup, but I got a good deal on these wheels. Problem is now I have hours of time invested in these blasting off the old paint. The wheels themselves were in great shape and no wheel rash. I'm trying to find 2 of the fronts so I can go square, but these are hard to find now in good shape. The touring has right at 110k miles on it now, so I guess it's about time to have the suspension refreshed. As you said, it probably has toe creeping into due to old bushings. That sounds like a spring time project! Hummm, maybe springs, shocks, struts....
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    You can always get a lower profile tire which will reduce the overall height of your wheels. That will likely solve your issue... Do you know if the issue is with the width or with the height?

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
    I ran an 00 touring up to 253K with no rear end work and no tire wear issues, but others have had to replace parts. The rears, especially on the heavy touring are going to wear much faster even if things are in good shape. What kind of tires where they? Nice soft, sticky ones will only go 20K max, and much less on the rear without rotation. But you're right, you will burn up tires in nothing flat if it's out of alignment.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6spd
    If you went with a 225/40R19 it would drop to only 8.9 inches wide instead of 10 inches. it would be the same height 26". Most of the time the rubbing is from the tire being too wide but you may have a height issue too. I do believe the stock size is actually 25" diameter, so unless you programmed for a larger tire size, your speedo is probably off. If you want to go back to a 25" tire, you could go with a 225/35R19, and still be 8.9" wide. It would ride rougher though being a thinner sidewall tire. Do you know the width of the wheel? please keep in mind that i have no idea what sizes normally fit your car, just simply offering smaller size options.
    -Jeff
    1997 BMW 540i6 - Night Blue w/tan int - M5 front bumper, M5 Wheels, Halo projectors, muffler delete