Thread: 2002 525i wagon burning oil

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i wagon

2002 525i wagon burning oil

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been reviewed before. I searched but didn't see anything.

I have a 2002 525i wagon that I inherited from a family member. It has about 134k miles and it burns oil. It actually smells in the car as well. When I drove it from New Jersey to North Carolina I noticed I could go about 400-500 miles before it needed a quart of oil. Driving to and from work, about 40 miles a day, I'm adding a quart every week and a half to two weeks, driving on highway and sitting in traffic.

One of of the questions I have is, what could be the issues?
    Second, is it worth getting it repaired?
    I'm assuming the cost could be considerable. Just wondering if it's worth it. Thanks for any help that may be given.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo0032 View Post
    I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been reviewed before. I searched but didn't see anything.

I have a 2002 525i wagon that I inherited from a family member. It has about 134k miles and it burns oil. It actually smells in the car as well. When I drove it from New Jersey to North Carolina I noticed I could go about 400-500 miles before it needed a quart of oil. Driving to and from work, about 40 miles a day, I'm adding a quart every week and a half to two weeks, driving on highway and sitting in traffic.

One of of the questions I have is, what could be the issues?
    Second, is it worth getting it repaired?
    I'm assuming the cost could be considerable. Just wondering if it's worth it. Thanks for any help that may be given.
    Burning oil smell inside the cabin is not healthy, get it fixed.

In my case, it was the valve cover gasket leaking and dripping on the oxygen sensors that are attached to the exhaust manifold (hot).

If it is the same issue for you....many good DIY videos available on how to do the VCG. Took me about an hour, found a small crack that I epoxied with high temp epoxy. Cost for parts is <$100. Don't forget to get the 12 or 13 valve cover bolt grommets. They get old and hard. Careful on not over tightening the bolts.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    CVV valve is going bad. This is like a PCV vale in older engines , and more expensive. Will take you most of a day to install , and you probably still use oil afterwards , even with making the fix. I suggest that you search for switching to an oil catch can system, that many are using. Check out the info on this forum, but in the spot your supposed to ask questions. You aren't in the right spot for that right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the following link, and then focus on the post from CN90,,and his link there. That should get u into some information u need.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=959538