Thread: 1972 BMW 2002 Project

My Cars
    1972 Bmw 2002

1972 BMW 2002 Project

Hey everyone!

I am a long time BMW enthusiast and finally got myself a 2002! Well a few months ago, but I Finally decided to start a build! The car is a 72 2002 that had been sitting for the last 15 years in a garage. I found it through my brother who is a long time 2002 enthusiast. This 2002 has been repainted probably 20-25 years ago, but almost everything else hasn't been touched. Came with the original wheels, manuals, keys, and is a factory air conditioned car! I have already got the car running and moving but since it gets rather cold here in Canada I decided I may as well stay indoors and tinker. The plans are simply to make it into a clean, fun, and comfortable driver! I already have read tons and learnt a lot about these cars! Anyway, here is some pictures of how I found her and some shots of this fall.

My Cars
    71 2002, 76 2002,96 328i
    Nice find, and it looks like it will be a fun project that will be very rewarding.

AFAIK, in 1972, there were no factory A/C's produced in 2002's. All of them were dealer installed. Not 100% sure, but that's the best I can remember when I bought my new 1971 2002 in NYC. Wonder if it was different in Canada.

You should also frequent BMW2002faq.com for lots of great information and camaraderie.

Regards, Maurice.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Welcome to the madness ;-p

Maurice is correct -- AC was only ever a dealer-installed option on any 2002 (regardless of country). There's only 3 to 4 brands that were used - and it's easy to tell by looking at the console. And from the pic you posted I can see that yours is a Behr model (one of the most common types).

Enjoy it - whether driving it or wrenching on it. Thankfully there's lots of parts (OEM and go-fast) still available for these old saloons...

Tom
    Last edited by visionaut; 01-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.

My Cars
    1972 Bmw 2002
    Hmmm, thats good to know that they were dealer installed! I don't feel so bad that I am taking it out now. I finished up some rust work in the trunk and rockers so may as well show progress. The strut towers on these cars rust from the inside out so I had to cut out way more than it looked like but the inner tower was super solid so I did not touch it! I fabricated the patch from the roof of a scrap car and am pleased with the results.

I also got all the nuts and bolts zinc dichromate plated which I highly recommend to anyone else dealing with rusty bolts!

Also notice that hideous steering wheel? It was necessary to replace it with the legendary Momo Prototipo. This car actually would originally have had a thin three spoke wheel but it was long gone!

When everything was nicely apart I decided it would be a good idea to polish the paint. It would have been repainted 20+ years ago but it looks amazing! Heres where it sits as of today. I still have to get the BBS RM's redone. I'm thinking of going with a gun-metal metallic. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the black?

My Cars
    67 2002Ti, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Two02 View Post
    Hmmm, thats good to know that they were dealer installed! I don't feel so bad that I am taking it out now. I finished up some rust work in the trunk and rockers so may as well show progress. The strut towers on these cars rust from the inside out so I had to cut out way more than it looked like but the inner tower was super solid so I did not touch it! I fabricated the patch from the roof of a scrap car and am pleased with the results.

I also got all the nuts and bolts zinc dichromate plated which I highly recommend to anyone else dealing with rusty bolts!

Also notice that hideous steering wheel? It was necessary to replace it with the legendary Momo Prototipo. This car actually would originally have had a thin three spoke wheel but it was long gone!

When everything was nicely apart I decided it would be a good idea to polish the paint. It would have been repainted 20+ years ago but it looks amazing! Heres where it sits as of today. I still have to get the BBS RM's redone. I'm thinking of going with a gun-metal metallic. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the black?

Very nice and clean work!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    The original steering wheels were either recalled, or replaced, even out of warranty. New wheel looks great.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Any more updates ?