Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another Crazy E36 M3 S54 Swap AKA My Realistic Dream Swap

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Besides the ribs, what is the difference in euro radiator cover? No duct for alt cooler?
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Block looks great, but I'd remove the paint from the mating surface for the knock sensors.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Besides the ribs, what is the difference in euro radiator cover? No duct for alt cooler?
    Just looks different, deletes alt cooler duct, totally unnecessary for the swap. I had it on my 328is and I kinda miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Block looks great, but I'd remove the paint from the mating surface for the knock sensors.
    Duly noted!

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    So lately I've just been cleaning small parts and reassembling them onto the engine. I went to add the oil filter housing and as I attempted to torque the bolts to spec (22Nm) 4/6 of them stripped....very easily. I literally had "ringlets" of iron threads falling out after I removed the oil filter housing.

Obviously I was very concerned how this could be and my best guess is that some of the surface prep for the paint I used corroded the threads in that area. This is odd since I masked off and was careful in not spraying any near the oil filter housing machined areas too. SO anyways I ran to ace hardware and picked up a M8 x 1.25 helicoil kit. I helicoiled all 6 holes and was able to install and torque the bolts correctly. When torqued they feel really good and firm, and my machinist friend reminded me that helicoiled threads are stronger than raw/plain threads too. At one point I thought I had potentially and disastrously ruined my S54 block!!

Some more cool parts showed up!
    -E46 M3 gauge cluster to support gpetersons new developments (see here for more info). I don't know what it is about how this cluster looks but I love it.

-TTFS Air Rail for running Alpha-N and Speed Density for better drivability like the CSL (GM MAP sensor)
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 03-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Today I started cleaning and rebuilding the ITB's:

I rebuilt 1 at first to decide "do I really want to do this to all 6?". Its certainly smoother and looks awesome too.

Here's the other 5 with parts out and all cleaned up ready for re-assembly.

An interesting thing on the S54 ITB's is BMW chose to only use needle bearings on ITB's 1, 4 and 6 to support the actuator linkage rod. Although they're not really needed on 2 3, and 5, I will be installing needle bearings on all. Pics of this to better explain coming soon.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 03-14-2017 at 11:43 PM.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    One last but not so related update is wheels... I've always wanted, no... needed to put square setup wheels and tires on so that I can rotate them for even wear and also improve handling.

I was due for tires too so I picked up a set of ARC8's in 17x8.5 hyper silver, installed pilot super sport 245/40/17s mounted and love the look and handling improvement. Another bonus is each weel and tire is 6lbs lighter! That's an unsprung weight savings of 24lbs which is totally epic!!!

Quick pic
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 03-14-2017 at 11:45 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 vert, 87 trans am GTA, 85 F250, 04 Yamaha R1
    Any updates? Im looking to do this to my 99 m3 and wanting to know how all the amenities get fixed to work with s54 dme, as well as any other sensor/wiring issues

My Cars
    88 325, 91 325ix, 95 M3
    I am also curious for updates. Considering doing this to my M3. Do you have a parts list yet? I am considering one of these: https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...ss-e46-m3-s54/

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Hey guys sorry for lack of updates, just been super busy with family etc. My S54 project has turned into a "overhaul most of the 20yr old car" project such as suspension, all bushings (subframe, inner, outer control arms, diff etc), rebuild driveshafts etc. I've been researching and collecting a lot of parts. Furthermore I won't install the S54 until I get the suspension, drivetrain, and chassis reinforcements finished up.

Also, I am going to bite the bullet and order most of the Beisan systems S54 rework parts, especially to address the oil pump disc issues. Thankfully mine appears OK but reducing the "play" on the stock one seems like a very good idea.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    u can buy the harness direct from Andrew for a little cheaper

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    So I finally got a front crank seal on without causing damage to it!

I cleaned the intake and exhaust ports and valves. The exhaust ports seemed to have a nice even 0.25mm thick layer of carbon effectively reducing the volume, we can't be having that. Sorry I didn't get any pics of this. The intake by comparison was very clean esp for 120k miles.

Started mounting the waterpump, coolant pipe, oil filter housing etc. All new O-rings, gaskets etc. Almost every part is cleaned with a wire brush and brake cleaner. There are some parts that are impossible to clean fully since dirt/corrosion has "soaked" into the porous cast aluminum.

Re-assembled and mounted the ITB's, they really look pretty. It's nice that BMW factory polished the inside diameter of these.

Mounted pulleys, A/C bracket, ICV, throttle actuator

Performed a valve adjustment.

I bought these metric feeler gauges specifically for doing valve adjustments. With this combination of gauges I was able to measure all the way from .04mm to .40mm in .01mm increments which I thought was pretty awesome.

In between all this I've been collecting all the parts to overhaul the drivetrain and suspension, as well as some other small cosmetics like ZKW glass headlights, new steering wheel etc.

Nothing like getting a box full of fag parts haha

I'll be ordering the beisan S54 kit later this week to address the seals, oil pump disc and rattle. The more I think about it it really needs to be done and I might as well do it now.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 04-26-2017 at 10:48 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    oh man this is so exciting, i have my S54 on the stand waiting to order parts and start my rebuild, this thread is inspiring!

How are you going to fit the E46 M3 cluster in your E36? Can you go a bit further into describing what needs to be done to make that cluster work, physically and electrically?

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbored786 View Post
    oh man this is so exciting, i have my S54 on the stand waiting to order parts and start my rebuild, this thread is inspiring!

How are you going to fit the E46 M3 cluster in your E36? Can you go a bit further into describing what needs to be done to make that cluster work, physically and electrically?
    Physically the cluster needs to be trimmed down to fit into the E36 cluster hole. This includes removing the hood, some plastic protrusions, and trimming the gauge cluster bezel a bit to fit.

Electrically, check out gpetersons thread where he has been documenting his development of an adapter board that merges the analog side of E36 to CAN side of the S54 gauge cluster:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...E46-M3-clsuter

He already has a well working prototype, this is really cool because it incorporates the BC stalk etc to work with the S54 cluster in a like-OEM way!

- - - Updated - - -

Before proceeding with the actual swap I've decided to completely overhaul the front and rear suspension and install reinforcements first. I've made a thread that covers it here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-for-S54-Swap!
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 05-23-2017 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80
    Subscribed!

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    zOmgz an update! Work, family, hurricanes have been keeping me pretty busy.
    I feel I am still on track to get the swap done by end of year.

So since my last post I've done:

• Suspension project and chassis reinforcements complete! You can check that out in the link above.

• Received my body adapter harness from Andrew. I also had him add the CanL, CanH and AC pressure sensor wires to more easily facilitate the S54 cluster.

• I ordered the TTFS CSL engine tune and sent my DME to them for programming, the features programmed are:
      Euro Headers, Delete EGT, Sport memory, 8200rpm limit, Speed
      limiter removed, Linear throttle, Disable SAP and DTC's, Disable
      post-cat O2's, EWS DELETE, Shift Lights, 93 octane, CSL engine
      temp warmup lights (more conservative)

• Ordered the Beisan Systems S54 Vanos parts:
      Vanos seals repair kit
      Vanos rattle repair kit
      Vanos sealing plate repair kit
      Vanos Oil Pump Disc

• Other VANOS parts:
      Camshaft bolts
      Timing chain guide
      Misc. crush washers etc.
      S62 Diaphram Springs (Part of the Beisan anti-rattle fix)

• Rented the S54 timing tools and Beisan tools

Oh another cool thing is I found out my Euro headers sourced from a guy in Greece are actually CSL spec! That would explain how insanely light they are!

I plan on doing all of the VANOS rebuild/Beisan stuff this weekend. Then I have a few misc parts to get (engine mounts, radiator, euro coolant tank etc.) and I'll be pulling the S52 out!

Andrew's harness

Rolled my rear fenders to fit some spacers

How the car currently sits...

I hope to have some updates/pics this weekend from the VANOS project.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 09-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    When you finish the Beisan upgrade and the vanos mounted, jump
    on YouTube and search for the S54 “sweet tooth”. Shows you how to get the intake cam gear in the perfect spot. Which is a MUST for doing this right
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    OK, Vanos rebuild project is complete! This went really smooth, I really enjoy the meticulous engine internals work more than the suspension grunt work stuff

Most of the new parts to install

Removed VANOS unit and marked timing

Wow does it look sludgy

Cleaned oil pump disc internal parts

New BS disc with internals installed

I didn't get any pictures of replacing the VANOS oil seals O-rings and teflon rings.
    The whole unit was thoroughly cleaned, oil staining gunk wiped right off and looks new again.

Vanos sealing plate O-rings are completely flattened

Cleaned the solenoid valves, new oil filter and O-rings here too.
    VANOS parts cleaned ready to go

Installation of new CAM bolts with loctite 243. Cleaned each bolt and bolt hole with brake cleaner about 4x each

Removed exhaust cam sprocket to inspect and replace upper timing guide

And it's completely broken!

New vs. Old

New guide installed

Performed the BS rattle kit which is new S62 spring plates and also rebuilding of the helical timing adjustment pieces, sorry didn't get pics.

Back together, timed and cleaned up

VANOS unit reinstalled

So happy to get the valve cover back on, it's been 9 months since I first removed it!

So now I'm left with a perfectly refreshed S54. Next is to attach the new Z3M S54 harness, headers, and misc. other small items.

After that I'll be double checking I have everything needed to perform the swap to minimize downtime. Starting to get really excited!
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 09-24-2017 at 05:39 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    coming along nicely... you and i have the same rebuilt long block now.. did you do the WPC rod bearings? I also changed out the valve seals.. because, well it had 179k miles so it warranted it.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    coming along nicely... you and i have the same rebuilt long block now.. did you do the WPC rod bearings? I also changed out the valve seals.. because, well it had 179k miles so it warranted it.
    Heck yes! WPC treated OEM rod bearings. Same group buy as you I think.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 09-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Looks great

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Great progress!

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Any updates? Starting to consider doing the same for my E36...

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    Just stumbled onto this thread. Any updates? Starting to consider doing the same for my E36...
    Yup, literally pulling the S52 out this weekend. Will have updates soon!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    i didnt have much problems pulling it out... getting it back in, alone, with no help... turned into a 3hr ordeal...
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Engine extraction complete!

Last night I got the garage ready and the car up on jack stands

Entire front off

Just before connecting the engine hoist

It's out!

Disconnected the AUTO trans from engine, this part sucked! Very messy.

So yea engine is finally out after starting to research this over a year ago. Now that I am actually disconnecting the harness in person and getting that visual all the reading I've done on how the swap harness goes together makes a LOT more sense.

Next on the agenda:
    • Clean and swap PS pump and AC compressor
    • Clean engine bay
    • Remove Autotragic shifter
    • Clean and prep 420G trans
    • Install clutch pedal assembly
    • Install dbw gas pedal
    • Install S54 fuel pump and fpr
    • Run some wires!

General order of disassembly to pull engine out if anyone is interested:
    • Exhaust, headers back
    • Post cat O2 harness
    • Heat shields
    • Loosen driveshaft center
    • Loosen trans crossmember
    • AUTO selector cable
    • FPR harness
    • Complete front bodywork
    • Electric fan
    • Condenser
    • AC lines
    • Auto trans cooler
    • Radiator and hoses
    • Radiator support
    • SAP
    • Drop PS rack
    • Drop PS pump
    • Cruise control motor
    • Air filter box
    • ASC, throttle body
    • Brake booster hose
    • Intake manifold
    • Injector rail
    • Dipstick tube
    • Heater hoses
    • Evap solenoid
    • Engine Harness at cowl
    • Cowl
    • Engine Harness at DME and DME
    • Engine Harness at relay box
    • Ground cable
    • Motor mount nuts
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 10-14-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast