Thread: Bad experience(s) with UUC

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe

Bad experience(s) with UUC

Hi,

I hate posting something like this, but I feel those of you new to working on/modding your car should be aware (other more experienced members are getting their "I told you so" ready).

I've purchased products from UUC for a number of fairly large projects for my 2000 Z3 M Coupe:
    1. Six speed conversion: custom DSSR, twin disk clutch, tranny mounts, etc.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rade-(finally)
    2. Wilwood BBK upgrade. I ended up adding my build to lucdessange's thread:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-1998-dinan-z3

I've been working with UUC since 2013. Each large project had major issues and delays caused by UUC. To summarize:
    For the 6sp upgrade, I ordered a custom SSR from them as the regular SSR for the M Coupe is too short for the 6sp. The SSR is a simple rod with connectors at both ends. The special bit about this particular piece of linkage is that it requires (as does the OEM version) about a 5 degree twist which keeps the stick shift centered in the console boot. Well, UUC took my order, took my money and took 5 months to make the part. When it finally arrived, they didn't add the twist, and my stick was pushed against the left side of the boot in neutral. When I complained, I clearly informed them that I wouldn't wait another 5 months for them to make me a new one. Instead, Rob said I could BUY (yes, buy) one of their short shift kits at a discount and they would modify it to accommodate the missing twist in the SSR. As they had me over a barrel, I spent the extra $200 on their SSK. At this point, I'm finally able to also install the $1700 twin disk clutch I had purchase from UUC 5 months prior. When Arjun upsold me on this product buy Arjun he guaranteed that it would function and feel like an OEM clutch. Wrong. Since my completion of the install in mid-2014, I have not had one smooth launch from a stop (no drag racing anymore). I'm a good driver, and its horribly embarrassing when the car bucks and jumps on launch. I even stall the damn thing now. For the following two years, I called and complained. Eventually, Rob told me to send it in (at my expense - you know, ship 50lbs across the country). When they put it on their bench, they found some issues with it (can't remember exactly what), but it cost me about another $200 for them to 'fix'. It still drives like crap. Eventually, Rob told me of an additional break in procedure where you essentially ride the clutch at high speed for extended periods of time. I have to admit, it did improve the feel a little, but not enough to make it anywhere near as smooth as OE. UUC's salesman either lied to me, or they gave me a defective clutch. Yes, there is chatter too, but I knew that going in, so I don't complain about it. During this project, I have to say, the fit and finish of their goods was very good. The functionality was satisfactory (except the clutch), but at least it looked nice.

For the brake upgrade, I'd been toying with the idea of red calipers for a long time. Finally decided to pull the chain after glazing my stock rotors and pads at the track. On 10/30/2015, I ordered UUC's 4 wheel BBK for my M Coupe in Red. When talking to Rob on the phone about the order, he led me to believe they could ship the kit within a week. I ordered red. I paid extra for red. Sometime in February, parts started rolling in. Just some of them though. Prior to this, I was sending weekly emails/calls with 'where's my stuff' questions. Excuse here, excuse there. "Oh, we had the wrong calipers for the rear. Our powder coater is delayed because of the holidays" - Powder what? You don't buy red ones directly from Wilwood? That's stupid. Anyway, eventually, powder coated parts come in. The finish is horrible. "Well, when their on the car, you won't notice..." F-that... I paid $2500 for nice pretty red calipers and I want nice pretty red calipers. Do it again. In fact, here's the part number for you to get red directly from Wilwood. Oh... Wilwood's on back order. No they're not, I just called them and their in stock. Also, the machining on the rotor hats was horrible. If you look on their website, they are very shiny and pretty and have a nice UUC logo on them. I received items that look like they were made in a 7th grade metal shop. The actual rotor vents look rough... rough enough that I don't feel they would maintain structural integrity at the track with heat cycles. Eventually, new calipers arrive. Wait... there's only one set of brake pads. Also, I ordered Hawk HPS not DTC-05. "Well, that's ok, they're the same compound." No they're not. Fix it. New pads arrive. Wait, how come I have two sets that are the same. Doesn't the front and read have different size pads? And here's the kicker "Did you order the 4 wheel kit or the front kit with the rear add on?" I don't know, I bought them all at once while on the phone with you! You tell me? This back and forth BS went on until mid-May 2016. After receiving 9 different sets of pads, 2 complete sets of calipers, no rear brake lines and then incorrect rear brake lines, no rear mounting brackets, no shims. And this isn't even the bad part. I eventually told Rob to cancel the order. Its at this point that he's willing to make the extra effort, "oh, the rear brackets are the same as Wilwood's, I'll get those out to you today." Screw that... too late, ordered from somewhere else. Please send me an RMA, shipping labels, and refund my money (this was mid-May 2016). He did send me an RMA listing 100% refund. For the next two months, I periodically bugged him to send me shipping labels as I won't get a refund until they get the parts back. He ignored me. Eventually, I bit the bullet and packaged it all up and shipped it back. Another $100 bites the dust. I put an RMA copy in each box. Tracked it all the way. Called UUC when they got back to Alpharetta. First person, "oh, we're working on your return now, give us til next week." A week goes by... next person "Oh, we just processed your refund, it should take about 10 days to appear on your statement." That was lie. No refund on my statement after 2 weeks. I finally get in touch with Rob. He effectively says, 'yeah, well, its been so long... we can't refund you. How bout credit?" Seriously, after 10 months of BS with you, you expect me to continue buying from you? Rob, you're the owner, right? Just give me a refund. He says he'll continue working on it as he's 'an' owner, not 'the' owner. But he didn't - instead he dodged my calls and ignored my emails.

To complicate things. I had purchased this on my Costco AMEX card which as many of you know expired in early 2016. It was replaced by a CITI Visa. So here I am, out $2500, way past the usual dispute time frame for any credit card, and also without the original credit card. The only thing in my pocket is documentation from UUC saying I get 100% refund. Needless to say, in Mid-September, I opened a dispute with CITI (as my AMEX purchase history transferred to them) and crossed my fingers that I'd get my money back. I put together a 65 page document/narrative detailing my interactions with UUC (phone calls, emails, etc.). It took me 6 hours to compose (I wish I could have charged them for my time as well). Normally, these things take 6 weeks. Good News! I just got notice this morning that the dispute came out in my favor.

So, think twice before you buy from UUC. There is a high probability that it will take you at least 4 months to get your parts. If you have any issues with them, don't expect them to take any accountability for their product's performance or their timelines. And remember, as in this last example, it could take you 14 months to get any satisfaction from a UUC order.
    2000 M Coupe Titanium Silver over Imola Red
    Dinan/RMS Stage II SC w/Aftercooler
    TC Kline DA
    RF in the back
    Mrk1 LeatherZ Extended Leather in Imola Red
    GS6 6sp
    Willwood at all 4 corners

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Bump... Keeping the dream alive...
    2000 M Coupe Titanium Silver over Imola Red
    Dinan/RMS Stage II SC w/Aftercooler
    TC Kline DA
    RF in the back
    Mrk1 LeatherZ Extended Leather in Imola Red
    GS6 6sp
    Willwood at all 4 corners

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    I've never had issues with then until this last holiday it was with a big brake kit (wilwood) and it took two months to get my order after calling them about four different weeks and when my order came it was missing components. They corrected that fast though only took a day. But it wasn't until I got someone else besides rob,that my order started to ship out. I can't remember who helped me out at the end started with a J though. Anyways for he most part uuc is fine but that last order pissed me off.