Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T56 Magnum Conversion

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon

T56 Magnum Conversion

Hi Guys,

I was talking to a buddy one day a few years ago about how the e36 has an issue with eating ZF transmissions over certain power levels. Hes a Ford guy so he recommended going with a T56 Magnum transmission. Did a little research and drove my uncles Corvette which has the TR6060 in it and decided that was the way to go. The car is not done. I have the Steed twin scroll, DI intake manifold, 3.2 liter motor, s54 oil pump setup and a bunch of other parts for building the motor. But I figured I'd tackle the drivetrain issue first since we were all waiting about a year for the Steed manifold.

A quick search on the forums and I found Perrys thread. A few PM's later and I was sure it would work. Perry is a super nice guy and willing to help.

These are just the pieces of my collection of parts. I hope to start wrenching on it soon.

The gearing I choose on the T56 mag was the shorter unit with the .63 6th gear. So I had to get different 210mm gears. My buddy over at HMB Motorwerks gets all my parts for me. He found an unused set of 3.64 gears for a great price I couldn't pass up. So I got those and sent them off to REM Polishing.

The next thing was making a 1350 driveshaft adapter for the 6 bolt 210mm diff. I designed this on the fly with my friend and customer who uses my machines to make rocket parts. I bought a Spicer weld yoke and a hunk of 4140 to make this. We did a .002" press fit with the yoke and once it was all together before I had it welded it only had .00005" of runout. I am not able to check the runout now because the welds are in the flat area where I ran my indicator. But being that it was press fit together I doubt it moved after welding.

So for the bell housing Perry has made them and I also thought about making one. In the end I called QuickTime and spoke with them a year and a half ago. At that time they did not have one, so we talked about the price of making a custom one. They told me $1400 and I had to have the T56 mag in my possession, so I started saving for it. Life happens and a year went by. When I was ready with the funds and called them back they were already making a bell housing. I watched Summit for the part number and finally got one for $809. I hope its good. I can check their work here soon when I start to assemble it.

Next was the flywheel and clutch to use. For this I copied Perry because his car pops wheelies and he doesn't seem to have problems with his setup unlike the guys using the UUC dual clutch. I got an M20 flywheel from HMB Motorwerks again and just finished machining the flywheel last night with my CNC friends. My buddy at HMB also said it would be cool if I machined a provision for the TDC flywheel lock like the e36 has, so that got machined on the back of the M20 flywheel as well. We took .200" of weight off the back of the M20 flywheel too.

The last thing I have ready right now are newly reinforced front and rear subframes and some rear lower control arms. The subframes were reinforced with the kits from AKG, but I got them from HMB Motorwerks because they keep them in stock there.

Last edited by 3literheater; 09-15-2017 at 12:15 AM.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    M3
    Awesome nice job. Should be plenty strong.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    What's the part number for the clutch, bellhousing and trans? Also, what TOB are you going to run?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Very nice work! I would like to do this when my car project budget recovers. Seems like the best manual for big power, but its a $5k undertaking.

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    I prefer this swap than having to go auto. I'll follow this closely.
    I would think somebody would jump on this as a package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyyardie View Post
    I prefer this swap than having to go auto. I'll follow this closely.
    I would think somebody would jump on this as a package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's why I was asking questions

Sent from my SM-T707V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Looking good....real good

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Amazing. Will be following closely as the T56 magnum will be my last resort option for a manual transmission. What will you be doing for the shifter/linkage?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I've been told a few times that the newer TR-6060 is a much better transmission vs the T-56... is this true?

Would the bell housing fit on a 6060 as well (since I've read it's an evolution of the T-56)?

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    I think I speak for many when I say Thank You for your research, time and thorough detail of the results.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    I've been told a few times that the newer TR-6060 is a much better transmission vs the T-56... is this true?

Would the bell housing fit on a 6060 as well (since I've read it's an evolution of the T-56)?
    The Ford T56 magnum is the one you want iirc. Gotta be the Magnum. Only tough part to swallow is the $4-5k.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe

I found this:

"The important difference between the TR-6060 and the Magnum is the TR-6060 uses a remote shifter configuration like what we talked about earlier, to keep NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) concerns to a minimum for manufacturers. The TR-6060 also has an integral bellhousing, cast into the front of the transmission. The Magnum has a conventional bellhousing. The Magnum also uses a slip-yoke 31-spline tailshaft configuration, which is more desirable from a strength and weight standpoint. The TR-6060 uses a bolt on yoke.

At the core of each transmission, the bellhousing, shifter, and driveshaft are the biggest differences between the TR-6060 and the Magnum. Both the TR-6060 and the Magnum are compatible with both an electric speed sensor, or a cable-type arrangement. The 2.66 – 0.50 gear set is the same between the TR-6060 and the Magnum. The torque capacity between the TR-6060 and the Magnum are similar."

The t56 magnum isn't derived from the t56 found in old chevy's. But they still call it the t56 magnum.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    The Ford T56 magnum is the one you want iirc. Gotta be the Magnum. Only tough part to swallow is the $4-5k.
    $4-5k USD, wow... by the time out get everything sorted like clutch, flywheel, bell housing, DS, etc... Gonna be a $10k transmission in Canukistan dollaroos

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    You can order a brand new t56 magnum from summit for 3,050 dollars.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Sweet! Can't wait to see it all together and rowing through the gears! For a street car, this seems like the way to go. It seems cost is pretty similar to going with a dog box, but a dog box isn't going to be street friendly.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    325is
    That bellhousing looks awesome. I wish i would have talked to them about the lenco when I put that in. Hell I still might, the chevy sb bellhousing is yuge.
    MaximumPSI.com BMW IRS World record, 8-26-16 8.695@165mph

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    I bought the GM T56 Magnum part number TUET11009. I paid just under $3k for it.

The clutch I went with is the same one Perry has in his car. Its a Mantic P921202 and it was $1000 plus shipping. Rated for 1010ft-lbs.

I have two throwout bearing options because I didn't know the Mantic clutch kit came with an factory GM one.

Here is the link to the Mantic one. Its a $200 throwout bearing kit. So if you take that off the price of the clutch then its only an $800 clutch!!:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24237634

I also have the Tilton 60-610 adjustable height throwout bearing. I wish I could send this one back. I would have saved some pennies had I known.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    No, for this bellhousing they want the GM one. The Ford one has a different length input shaft that will not work with this bellhousing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by e30kid89 View Post
    Amazing. Will be following closely as the T56 magnum will be my last resort option for a manual transmission. What will you be doing for the shifter/linkage?
    I am pretty sure I will not need linkage. The Magnum should come right up through the stock shifter hole.

- - - Updated - - -

The TR6060 is a OEM case on the same transmission. Its only rated for like 500 or 600 ft-lbs and I am pretty sure it does not have a removable bellhousing.

The Magnum is a much better unit than the standard T56, so it will not be the same thing. The Magnum also has a different bolt pattern than the standard T56 I was told by QuickTime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Sweet! Can't wait to see it all together and rowing through the gears! For a street car, this seems like the way to go. It seems cost is pretty similar to going with a dog box, but a dog box isn't going to be street friendly.

Mike
    Thanks man! I know I had originally contacted you about one of your busted transmissions to use for measurement, but QuickTime decided to design it on their own!!

How much is a dog box? With the clutch, bell, and brand new transmission I have spent right around $5k. How many ZF units and 6 speeds have you gone through now? I bet you have spent that, but I am not sure?
    Last edited by 3literheater; 09-14-2017 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I wonder how much modification would need to be done to the DSS shaft to fit the trans.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I wonder how much modification would need to be done to the DSS shaft to fit the trans.
    Too much. The DSS uses a 1310 U-joint this thing uses a 1350 U-joint. The local drive shaft house here says they can build me a driveshaft for around $400 or less.

Also the 1350 U-joint is rated for more capacity and it is still smaller in diameter than the BMW 6 bolt diff flange by almost .250"

Last edited by 3literheater; 09-14-2017 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    I bought the GM T56 Magnum part number TUET11009. I paid just under $3k for it.

The clutch I went with is the same one Perry has in his car. Its a Mantic P921202 and it was $1000 plus shipping. Rated for 1010ft-lbs.

I have two throwout bearing options because I didn't know the Mantic clutch kit came with an factory GM one.

Here is the link to the Mantic one. Its a $200 throwout bearing kit. So if you take that off the price of the clutch then its only an $800 clutch!!:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24237634

I also have the Tilton 60-610 adjustable height throwout bearing. I wish I could send this one back. I would have saved some pennies had I known.

- - - Updated - - -

No, for this bellhousing they want the GM one. The Ford one has a different length input shaft that will not work with this bellhousing.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure I will not need linkage. The Magnum should come right up through the stock shifter hole.

- - - Updated - - -

The TR6060 is a OEM case on the same transmission. Its only rated for like 500 or 600 ft-lbs and I am pretty sure it does not have a removable bellhousing.

The Magnum is a much better unit than the standard T56, so it will not be the same thing. The Magnum also has a different bolt pattern than the standard T56 I was told by QuickTime.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man! I know I had originally contacted you about one of your busted transmissions to use for measurement, but QuickTime decided to design it on their own!!

How much is a dog box? With the clutch, bell, and brand new transmission I have spent right around $5k. How many ZF units and 6 speeds have you gone through now? I bet you have spent that, but I am not sure?
    $5k all in all is still probably hard to beat with a dog box. I've got my eye on a T101A conversion setup that's about $2k with clutch, adapter, tob, and then a T101A typically goes for 2k or so on Ebay. I'd rather gear my own G force GSR box, but those are ~$5200 box alone. New, anyway.

Mike

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    So the Chevy one is correct ? Shifter position doesn't change ? Both are universal ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    $5k all in all is still probably hard to beat with a dog box. I've got my eye on a T101A conversion setup that's about $2k with clutch, adapter, tob, and then a T101A typically goes for 2k or so on Ebay. I'd rather gear my own G force GSR box, but those are ~$5200 box alone. New, anyway.

Mike
    Careful, the 101 limit is around 600 ft lbs (from a Trans Am/NASCAR shop which builds these cars). The GSR is 9800 new but can be had in an as new refurb for 6500 from RTS.

The strengthened T56s like the Magnum is the best bet for bang for buck. They make versions good for 1000ft lbs and you can even get a dog box version if you want.

My Cars
    88 M3, 94 M3, 91 535
    Make sure you measure the thread alignment...ask me how I know:
    http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...3-how-to-align

Also, the linkage is going to be a bit off center. From what I remember it's a few inches in 2 directions. Usable, but I had to have a special shifter made so that I could still use my center console.
    Last edited by wilhit10; 01-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhit10 View Post
    Make sure you measure the thread alignment...ask me how I know:
    http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...3-how-to-align

Also, the linkage is going to be a bit off center. From what I remember it's a few inches in 2 directions. Usable, but I had to have a special shifter made so that I could still use my center console.
    Dial Indicate!

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Careful, the 101 limit is around 600 ft lbs (from a Trans Am/NASCAR shop which builds these cars). The GSR is 9800 new but can be had in an as new refurb for 6500 from RTS.

The strengthened T56s like the Magnum is the best bet for bang for buck. They make versions good for 1000ft lbs and you can even get a dog box version if you want.
    Lots of Formula Drift guys seem to use T101A's successfully. I'm not sure if they're beefed up or not. Where did you see a new GSR for $9800? A buddy of mine just bought a brand new one for $5200 I think?

Mike

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast