Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Z3 Coupe - Rally Build Log

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    The dash and the removable steering wheel are installed. Next is to get the center console installed.

IMG_1603.JPG

My Cars
    1971 2002
    Curious as to what removable adapter you used and how was it installed. Might be hard to judge as you are still in the build phase but how much closer will the steering wheel be to you?
    pics?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
    Curious as to what removable adapter you used and how was it installed. Might be hard to judge as you are still in the build phase but how much closer will the steering wheel be to you?
    pics?
    I am using the NRG short hub adapter, the NRG quick release and an OMP Targa steering wheel. It puts the steering wheel about 3/4 of an inch closer to the driver than the stock one. Overall distance to the driver will depend on where I mount the race seat - that is still a work in progress.

My Cars
    1971 2002
    Nice! I've been reading all the reviews. Some of the cheaper ones seem to have play either right off the or develop it quickly. I'll follow the build and hopefully read an update after a few weeks on the road. carry on !

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
    Nice! I've been reading all the reviews. Some of the cheaper ones seem to have play either right off the or develop it quickly. I'll follow the build and hopefully read an update after a few weeks on the road. carry on !
    Decided to go with this brand because we use it in our current Subaru rally car - it has been good for over 3 years and 16 rally events.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Ran into the first electrical issue yesterday. Center console is installed, so decided to test everything was working. Car started ok and everything seemed to be working, but then the cluster's RPM, temperature and fuel went dead - trip odometer and other lights working ok. I checked fuses and #46 had blown. I replaced it and tested the break lights first (they are on the same fuse) and they worked fine and did not blow the fuse. Instrument gauges still not working. So it must be a short on a wire in the center console that I need to track down. Clock and ASC are on the same fuse. So back to tearing it apart and checking wires.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    After several hours of testing wires, instrument cluster working again. It looks like the problem was a bad hazard light switch.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Build is looking good, the cage came out nice.

With all the fuses, relays, splices, and ground points that BMW uses it's easy to get lost especially if you make changes. Good to keep a note book or your own schematics on any changes you do make. If you ever have to go back and troubleshoot it becomes priceless to have. Ask me how I know.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CMM3 View Post
    Build is looking good, the cage came out nice.

With all the fuses, relays, splices, and ground points that BMW uses it's easy to get lost especially if you make changes. Good to keep a note book or your own schematics on any changes you do make. If you ever have to go back and troubleshoot it becomes priceless to have. Ask me how I know.
    I know what you mean. The radio/speaker system along must have miles of wires!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    IMG_1620.JPG

This is the rear suspension - not tightened in place yet. The hose for the remote reservoir for the rear coilovers does not come up from the top of the strut (as most usually do). It seem like the only way to get the reservoir inside the car would be to cut a hole in the fender/strut tower, route the reservoir and then close it back up (most likely bolt it in place because I want to be able to remove it for cleaning the suspension after events). That is what some of the Porsche guys have done with their track setup. I emailed Reiger to make sure I am not missing something.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Rear suspension is in place on both sides. Top of rear strut tower reinforced as well. For the remote reservoir, I decided not to cut the strut tower to relocate it inside the car - I was concerned that it would weaken the strut tower. Instead, I found that there is space insider the fender, behind the wheel well splash shied. I attached it against the interior rail and looks nicely protected when the shield is back. I only need to undo one screw in the splash shield in order to get to it when uninstalling for cleaning.

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG
    Last edited by sebastianrally; 07-30-2017 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    After much testing, I finally settled on a design for the seat mounts. There is very little room to drop the seats in the Z3 because the fuel lines run next to the transmission tunnel, so there is very little room to drop the floor (unless I relocate fuel lines). Based on that, I will build on top of the seat mounts (that are already the strongest point), but shift the seat as much as possible towards the center of the car and away from the door bars of the roll cage.

IMG_1641.JPG

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Progress on the seat mounts over the weekend:

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    The driver's side seat mount and anti-submarine belt mount are welded to the car. Now need to repeat the same on the co-driver side.

IMG_1653.JPG

Other side is done! These were a lot more time consuming than I expected.

IMG_1662.JPG
    Last edited by sebastianrally; 08-31-2017 at 08:10 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Next step was to cover the sunroof hole.

Attachment 609089

I used 20 gauge steel, cut to fit the hole and spot welded every 1.5 inches or so. The hole towards the front is where the rally scoop will go to provide air to driver and co-driver (also creates pressure inside the cabin that keeps the dust out on the stages). Still needs sanding and some filler to smooth the edges.

Attachment 609090

Attachment 609091

Attachment 609092

My Cars
    ModelS;CayenneD;M5;MCx2
    Nice build... :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12