Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MHD vs JB4

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i

MHD vs JB4

Hey Everyone, I recently bought a 2008 335i and I'm looking to start modding. So far all I've done is maintenance to make sure the car is ready for the increased power. I'm having my spark plugs done next week and a walnut blast the week after. After that, I want to add power. I am NOT looking to go FBO. I just want to tune it and forget it. I'm not interested in running meth or E85 or upgrading the turbos. With that in mind, what would be the best option for me when it comes to tuning? A JB4 or MHD? Which provides more power? Which is more reliable/safe? If you think I should get both, please explain the benefits of running both. I'm a newbie so I don't really know how all this works. Thank you

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    How much of an increase in power are you looking for?

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    How much of an increase in power are you looking for?

-Dmitry
    Anywhere from 330-360whp. Is a tune alone going to bring me anywhere near this or am I being unreasonable?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i LCI
    Check online, there is lots of info on Dyno numbers for all mods and stock. Here is one just from Burger Motorsports JB4

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/jb4_dyno/dyno1.jpg

My Cars
    '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifLicious View Post
    Anywhere from 330-360whp. Is a tune alone going to bring me anywhere near this or am I being unreasonable?
    With just a tune expect around 315 (stock is 270ish).

I am assuming you want to be able to easily go back to stock and not get crazy with mods but you should get what you want with just adding an intercooler so you can go with stage 2. Get one w/ oem hookups like the Mishimoto so install is quick and easily reversible.

Cheapest way to get to 330whp IMO.

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapen View Post
    With just a tune expect around 315 (stock is 270ish).

I am assuming you want to be able to easily go back to stock and not get crazy with mods but you should get what you want with just adding an intercooler so you can go with stage 2. Get one w/ oem hookups like the Mishimoto so install is quick and easily reversible.

Cheapest way to get to 330whp IMO.
    If I want a tune only, would you recommend JB4 or MHD?

My Cars
    '07 335i
    If I want a tune only, would you recommend JB4 or MHD?
    I can't speak for either since 3 yrs ago when I tuned my car I went with Cobb over JB4 due to plug and play install. So in your case I guess I would choose JB4 since they've been around longer.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    All great advice guys - I've also heard really good things about the Cobb tune in general.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian Hawk View Post
    Check online, there is lots of info on Dyno numbers for all mods and stock. Here is one just from Burger Motorsports JB4

http://www.burgertuning.com/images/jb4_dyno/dyno1.jpg
    That graph is from their website. Not very credible

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    I've been trying to figure this out for myself for a while now.

Some say JB4 w/BMS backflash, others say the MHD DME flash+maps alone, some say the JB4 alone is enough. It's very confusing.

I can't answer your question. But I can give you some insight.

1) JB4 is NOT hard to hook up, but you do have to follow a lot of directions pretty carefully. Again, not hard, just a little nerve racking if you don't do things like this on your own (normally)

2) the MHD Flasher is EASIER, but even more nerve racking because if you have a hiccup, your car is dead till you get it right.

3) the JB4 alone will run you $400. It gives you some cool stuff besides power. The backflash will cost between $125-$200(?) depending on if you already own an android device (MHD method w/BMS license) or if you go with the BT cable method (VERY expensive cable, but no license fee).

4) the MHD tune will cost less overall, even if you have to buy a cheap android tablet. You just have to buy their maps packages, which are priced fairly. May be your best route, considering your goals.

5) I THINK that if you want to eventually do meth, you'll want/need the JB4, but I could very well be wrong.

Keep in mind...I'm a noob as well...keep reading and asking questions -- do not go by what I've told you, please.

// Radar //
    2010 E60 535i N54 {sleeper}
    M-Sport, Alpine White w/Natural Brown Leather
    Coilovers, APEX Race Wheels
    Trebila-tuned motor, xHP Stage3 tranny tune,
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    5 Series
    Yeah agreed on jb4. It's a matter of what options and other possible mods you want. It's the first step, after that you'll spend more on others, like down pipe, boost pipe, etc... I like my jb4 for the gauges on it I can monitor. I have the Bluetooth option and love it. It's not too bad installing, there are videos that are excellent, I did myself and I don't do electrical. But this was pretty straight forward. Know that if you go with down pipes you'll get doing more bypass wiring to eliminate codes either way. I'd suggest planning all you plan to do and in the long run and determine what you need that way. There are guys here whom likely have that exact set up and can give you their $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ">2004 530i

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan1 View Post
    Know that if you go with down pipes you'll get doing more bypass wiring to eliminate codes either way.
    I believe that the JB4 takes care of the down pipe code issue automatically. I should have my pipes installed by next week; I'll be able to say for sure.

// Radar //
    2010 E60 535i N54 {sleeper}
    M-Sport, Alpine White w/Natural Brown Leather
    Coilovers, APEX Race Wheels
    Trebila-tuned motor, xHP Stage3 tranny tune,
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    5 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    I believe that the JB4 takes care of the down pipe code issue automatically. I should have my pipes installed by next week; I'll be able to say for sure.

// Radar //
    It does not. I have both. You will have to buy a bypass group of cables and I stall in the same location as the jb4

">2004 530i

My Cars
    It does not. I have both. You will have to buy a bypass group of cables and I stall in the same location as the jb4

Jb4 will automatically hide downpipe code, no need for any additional wires

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Everyone, I recently bought a 2008 335i and I'm looking to start modding. So far all I've done is maintenance to make sure the car is ready for the increased power. I'm having my spark plugs done next week and a walnut blast the week after. After that, I want to add power. I am NOT looking to go FBO. I just want to tune it and forget it. I'm not interested in running meth or E85 or upgrading the turbos. With that in mind, what would be the best option for me when it comes to tuning? A JB4 or MHD? Which provides more power? Which is more reliable/safe? If you think I should get both, please explain the benefits of running both. I'm a newbie so I don't really know how all this works. Thank you
    Cant go wrong with either one.

Power is adjustable on both so it same power gains
    Both are very reliable and safe
    Running both is not beneficial unless your car is heavily tuned and running E85

We offer 14 days money back guarantee on the JB4 , give it a try

Order Link
    https://www.x-ph.com/burger-tuning-n...ormance-tuner/

My Cars
    5 Series
    Then why did you people sell me that addition contraptions of wires to block out the code for over $100? Mine showed the code.
    , so doesn't tell me it blocks it out automatically when it doesn't in mine

">2004 530i

My Cars
    2015 BMW 435i xDrive 6MT
    Then why did you people sell me that addition contraptions of wires to block out the code for over $100? Mine showed the code.
    , so doesn't tell me it blocks it out automatically when it doesn't in mine

The JB4 will automatically clear the codes using menu option 1-3, which prevents a check engine light (see the list of steering wheel commands at the link below). However, the downstream O2 sensors still tell the computer there is an issue, and the JB4 is just suppressing the check engine light on the dash.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605
    Last edited by trohde78; 02-20-2017 at 04:01 PM.

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Yeah agreed on jb4. It's a matter of what options and other possible mods you want. It's the first step, after that you'll spend more on others, like down pipe, boost pipe, etc... I like my jb4 for the gauges on it I can monitor. I have the Bluetooth option and love it. It's not too bad installing, there are videos that are excellent, I did myself and I don't do electrical. But this was pretty straight forward. Know that if you go with down pipes you'll get doing more bypass wiring to eliminate codes either way. I'd suggest planning all you plan to do and in the long run and determine what you need that way. There are guys here whom likely have that exact set up and can give you their $.02

all I want to do is a tune and downpipes and maybe an FMIC if my car isn't running well. And truth be told, I'm only really interested in DPs and FMIC because people say they're healthier for the car and help keep the turbos running strong longer. But besides that, I have no interest at all in going FBO or running E85, meth, etc. so with that in mind, which would be the best, safest, more reliable tune? JB4 or MHD?

My Cars
    2008 E61 535xi Touring
    I looked at Cobb, JB4, and MHD and went MHD just because it's so easy to use off the android app, and it's so inexpensive at $217 for everything (already run a good LG android phone). I bought the tunes, the monitoring/logging, and code reading, and haven't had a problem with them yet after repeated use. The initial tune, in my case going from stock to Stage 1, took ~40min, but any changes thereafter, including the checkbox options like linear throttle mapping, etc, or changing to Stage 1 + FMIC, took just over 2min each. You can display gauges, pull codes, flash tune parameters, all much cheaper than any other tune out there. JB4 has the steering wheel controls which I thought was cool, but I'm a tune and forget guy, so MHD it was.

The MHD cost was a large determining factor for me, since I knew a higher mileage car like mine would likely need more work post-tune.
    How right I was, as I had to walnut blast, change coils and plugs, install new injectors, and change the tranny fluid to get things running the way I wanted them to. Now it runs great and I have no fears pushing on the go-pedal.
    Last edited by MysticRob; 03-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    I’m looking to purchase one of these two in the near future. I’m looking to make around 450-500whp for my N54 which one would be the best for me?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio24108 View Post
    I’m looking to purchase one of these two in the near future. I’m looking to make around 450-500whp for my N54 which one would be the best for me?
    Making that power level safely would require larger turbos, extensive supporting mods, and supplemental fueling. You would likely want to run a JB4 with backend flash. The JB4 can control your supplemental fueling and offer several safety features, but you should still run a backend flash.
    Keep in mind that 450-500whp is really pushing the limits, and things will get VERY expensive.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio24108 View Post
    You are going to need both fir this kind of power

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    Is anywhere around 400hp too much for mhd?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    MHD stage 1+ with just an intercooler puts down about 360rwhp. Stage 2 with all supporting mods puts down 390ish rwhp. Crank horsepower will be 18-20 percent higher than rear-wheel horsepower.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    Ok and for mhd you can buy other maps from companies like emp right?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Exactly, you can use the MHD flash license to flash maps from other tuners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast