Thread: Help with software compatibility, Modic III orange head

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Help with software compatibility, Modic III orange head

Hi,

I bought many years back a Kontron orange head which was used with the Modic III, I think. I didn't really need it so far and I must say I was afraid by the complexity of the software installation. Owning now a 1999 E39, I need to make it work to solve airbag and webasto problems.
    A Dell D630 with XP is available, and also 2 desktop PCs with serial ports.
    Which would be the easiest way to install software to make it work?
    Would INPA/EDIABAS be compatible?
    Which version of DIS would be compatible?
    XP, Vmware?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    After several days to study the available documentation, I have decided to try to install on Vmware, as I don't want to buy a 15 year old IBM T30 laptop, which can die any time, and without any idea wether it will work. Also, a VM can then easily be transferred to any other PC which has the necessary COM port (if we want to use the COM connection).

I was told that the DIS works with the orange Kontron head up to version V30. I don't have V30 but I have V29, so I try this one.

- - - Updated - - -

I will explain how I proceed, because I've used much information that nice guys have shared. I want to thank them: csabaszeredy, Shoulders, NZM3CSL and all others who have shared. I couldn't do anything without their explanations.

The difficulty here comes from the fact that several tutorials address different versions of DIS. Many got interested after the chinese sold their copy of yellow GT1 head, so many have used versions V39, V44, V57. There is not much about older versions.

My PC runs Windows 7 x64. It has a COM connector on the ASUS motherboard, just the pins, not the actual plug. But I have a little cable that I can plug on those pins which has at the other end a male 25-pin plug.

VM configuration: 1 processor, 256MB memory, 6GB Disk, CD mapped on a Daemon tools virtual drive (Daemon tools lite, last version: 10.5, free), floppy, network adapter bridged, sound card probably useless but I'm not sure so I leave it, display, serial port.

Initial boot: I have found one diskette to boot V29 on openbmw, but after this one has loaded, the PC asks for a 2nd one. So I used V19 second boot diskette.
    Last edited by PBo; 01-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.

My Cars
    318i M40 4-door
    Wouldn't it be easier to use EasyDIS with an OBD/ADS interface? I used it and seems to work pretty well.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I have a Kontron orange head. What is EasyDIS exactly? Is it compatible with this head?

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried to use a BMW scanner 1.4.0 interface with several programs. No one could connect on my 1999 E39 except navcoder.
    Last edited by PBo; 01-13-2017 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    318i M40 4-door
    EasyDIS is a modified version of BMW DIS to use with aftermarket diagnostic interfaces. Usually if it's an E39, some modules are accesed vía OBD protocol, and some ones with ADS protocol. There are switchable, aftermarket heads for about 100 euro that can do this.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    Which interface would work 100% for older cars which are not OBDII compatible? not just for some ECUs while others can't be reached, not just for diag but also for coding and programming, 100% functionality and reliable? It's difficult as there are dozens of models and hundreds of chinese manufacturers and also many western sellers who sell "perfect" interfaces with their sticker that they actually bought from the previous ones, copying the same deceptive description: it works 100% with all models! I bought several of those in 2007 - 2008. None worked on my E34. 100% wasted money.

- - - Updated - - -

And a friend of mine killed an ECU on his car with a "Carsoft".

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Genuine ICOM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    318i M40 4-door
    On an E34 it's normal that the interfaces you used didn't work - you were surely using an OBD diagnostic interface for E39 and newer cars. E34, as my E30, need an ADS interface. They are externally the same, but they differ the electronics and he protocol it uses to commuicate with the car. If you ask me why I want to program my MoDiC having the ADS interface, it's for the convenience of having the MoDiC throwed in the trunk, just in case It's a bit of a pain to use my personal laptop so I sold the ADS interface.

- - - Updated - - -

Genuine ICOM = thousands of euros. Maybe a chinese clone for about 230 euros and some luck. But the genuine one is too expensive. And BTW, with ICOM you have to use Rheingold or ISIS, which is too resource heavy and barely useless for pre-E60 cars. Not to mention the bugs with the old models... Jesus, Rheingold says an M5 E39 has a DDE, not a DME!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Latest genuine ICOM is under 1000 euros. The dealer sells for right around $700 USD right now. BMW part number 81312360883

ISTA D is very useful even with my E36 Z3s.
    When you actually connect to an E39 M5 and read VIN and coding, it will tell you DME and all your modules correctly. If you use "Basic Features" tab, you will get all the wrong info.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can use DIS with ICOM. But DIS is far worse than ISTA in my opinion.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    ICOM, ISI, Rheingold were designed for recent cars, of the last 10 years I suppose.
    I'm interested in older cars up to E39 E46, before the E60 and E90 generation.
    The other day, I wanted to download Rheingold. The files added up to 110 GB!!! 99% of which concerns cars in which I'm not interested. And as you say I'm sure it doesn't work correctly, if it works at all, on pre-OBD models like E30 or E36 M3, or E31, E32 etc. I've read several times guys going to dealers with such cars and the dealers said they couldn't do anything. If they don't take money, it's really that they can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I wrote my post before your post displayed.
    However, it's way too big.
    And I have an authentic head adapted to the cars I'm looking at.

My Cars
    2015 Acura MDX
    Please tell me how to post a new question. This site is very frustrating.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...ostic-Software
    post new thread

Anybody knows if the Modic III and Kontron head can connect by radio like the GT1 head?

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I have finished installing DIS in Vmware.However, I can't make a connection with the head, neither through the COM port nor through network. It appears in the DIS help, that the Kontron head has radio connectivity. So now I try on a laptop with XP to make the connection with Ediabas. How can I find the head's IP address so I can put it in ediabas.ini? Do you think late 1990s hardware can be wifi? How should the wifi be configured if it is?Thanks for any idea.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I try to answer my question. The official wireless access point for DK heads is Symbol AP-4131 initial 802.11 1997 standard .But the Kontron head existed before the DK head. So I opened the head and discovered a RLAN PCMCIA card by Netwave apparently made in 2000, 2.4GHz, model Airsurfer.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    It would be worth trying with the Symbol Spectrum24 access point. Where can I find one?Today I'll try the serial connection again. I guess it works with the SLIP protocol, as I saw it installed in the DIS SCO protocol stack. It's certainly not there without any reason. SLIP allows to transfer TCP/IP through a serial line. If I could access the head through SLIP with an IP address, then I could configure ediabas on remote. Has anybody made a connection through this serial line before?

- - - Updated - - -

cable pinout :
    2-3
    3-2
    5-5
    7-8
    8-7
    It's supposed to be the original serial cable.
    This is just one type of null-modem cable.
    I remember reading in some other post that their cable pinout was :
    4+1+6-4+1+6
    2-4
    4-2
    5-5
    Is my cable really an original?

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    According to an other source:
    "The cable layout:

PC Modic - Head
    1,4,6 -
    2 3
    3 2
    5 5
    7 8
    8 7

Bye,
    Gaga"

Last edited by PBo; 01-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I have found something funny : those who have lost the code of their DIS should have a look in /home/modic/MODIC_CODE and MODIC_SERI.
    Last edited by PBo; 01-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Lightbulb

Good news today to finish the week: I was able to ping the head through the serial cable using SLIP protocol

I think I can now use it as remote through IP, the same way the yellow head seems to be used.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Latest genuine ICOM is under 1000 euros. The dealer sells for right around $700 USD right now. BMW part number 81312360883

ISTA D is very useful even with my E36 Z3s.
    When you actually connect to an E39 M5 and read VIN and coding, it will tell you DME and all your modules correctly. If you use "Basic Features" tab, you will get all the wrong info.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can use DIS with ICOM. But DIS is far worse than ISTA in my opinion.

Yesterday, I came accross this thread:

http://www.bmw-syndikat.de/bmwsyndik...ammierung.html

Unless I misunderstood something, the OP says nobody is able to make diagnostic on his E30 and his E32, not only because of possible head/vehicle incompatibility, but also because the later versions of DIS don't work properly with his cars. He seems to have made extensive attempts.
    I have read similar stories several times.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    I thought that would be enough to make it work: no. Ediabas in XP can't establish a connection although I can ping the head and read its beacon in a UDP datagram. In the IP header of the datagram, there is port number 1110. I've never read anywhere that this port was used. So I'm not sure it's the port to connect to with TCP. Plus it's a UDP port. The TCP port could be 1109 or 1111 logically. I'll try that tomorrow. Of course, I've tried 6801, 6000, 3000. On SCO, the DIS sees the head and when I click connect, it waits a minute and says something like "couldn't establish connection". In the config files, there is a paragraph called TCP. So it shouldn'tuse UDP. nmap finds no port open on the head up to 65535. How can TCP work if there is no answer on a SYN packet? I've tried other scans too: nothing. Something is not right, I can't see what. The port must be wrong but why can't I find it with a scanner? I'm not familiar with scanning. Is there a hacker around?

- - - Updated - - -

I have changed browser because of the newline bug, now I use Cyberfox based on Firefox. However ...

My Cars
    318i M40 4-door
    Have you configured the COM port on VMware? Since you are using an original head and standard DIS, I think you don't need Ediabas, instead, you do director connection between DIS and the head. Is the head configured as COM1?

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    The port is COM1 in Vmware. Where is the head configuration in the DIS? Doesn't it use normally Ediabas to talk to the head?

- - - Updated - - -

In Ediabas, I can't find an option that matches the head: EDIC? MOST? STD:OBD? ...

- - - Updated - - -

I tried installing a fresh Inpa 4.47 Ediabas 6.4.3 in XP on the laptop that has the serial port. It should be easier to debug. I don't know what other option I can choose besides remote.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

The Kontron head

is a 386SX PC with ALI processor running ediabas on DOS 5 + an interface in the same box. The "disk" is 4 or 6 MB of flash memory.

- - - Updated - - -

2 boards. Probably the PC and the interface. There is a free connector there... it itches... The PC broadcasts its identity in UDP/IP, answers ping, and can connect on TCP/IP either through radio or through SLIP on the serial connection (115200 bds, 8 bits, no parity, one stop). The cable is nullmodem as mentioned earlier. Normally, SLIP requires HW flow control.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other side, an ADS interface and there should be a multimeter and a scope.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's designed to allow access to the ADS interface directly. Actually we could if we separate the 2 cards. I think both cards are connected ... through 2 UARTs (I looked up all the ICs). I bet it's a serial line going from one card to the other. Just to have fun, we could look up the pinning of the interfaces' UART ... and hook it up through a serial cable to our PC running EDIABAS configured for ADS. Directly this time. So the whole point of this design seems to be the radio remote connection.

- - - Updated - - -

I may be wrong, but that's the way I see it.
    Last edited by PBo; 01-30-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: newlines missing

My Cars
    M3 CSL
    Hi

can you please share DIS v29 and v30?? Appreciate it!! Have sent you a PM!!

thank you!

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Does anybody have a image from the grey modic install floppy v13.0?