Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Current "best" M Coupe speaker/amp options?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    169
    My Cars
    01 M Coupe

    Current "best" M Coupe speaker/amp options?

    Hey everyone, I've browsed through some of the threads by the more industrious members who've assembled their own replacements/upgrades of the Coupe audio system. For those of us who aren't that industrious (read: dumb and lazy), is there a kit or other relatively straightforward way to refresh the Coupe audio? My sub amp is blown and I generally assume that all of the speakers at this point are pretty much crap. Any words of wisdom?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Terry F.'s Avatar
    Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Broward County, FL
    Posts
    4,703
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I'll let the coupe guys advise but with your screen name and location I wonder if you work at Grand Coulee Dam? :-)

    Stuff. I got stuff.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fountain Valley
    Posts
    259
    My Cars
    2000 z3m coupe
    I've been wondering the same! Hoping for some good answers, all the other threads I searched made some older recommendations.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    169
    My Cars
    01 M Coupe
    FWIW, I heard back from bavsound today. They indicated that they no longer offer their Stage 1 kit for the Coupe and suggested I find a local shop to do something custom.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    900
    My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt View Post
    Hey everyone, I've browsed through some of the threads by the more industrious members who've assembled their own replacements/upgrades of the Coupe audio system. For those of us who aren't that industrious (read: dumb and lazy), is there a kit or other relatively straightforward way to refresh the Coupe audio? My sub amp is blown and I generally assume that all of the speakers at this point are pretty much crap. Any words of wisdom?

    Thanks!
    For the money, I don't think you can beat the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier. You can buy pretty much use any high quality 6.5" component speaker with separate tweeters for the front and you can fit any 5 1/4" in the roof in the rear. The sub is very limited unless you make a custom box. I ran a Kicker 8" Solo-Baric L7 subwoofer and made a custom box that all fit under the cover in the back. I posted a thread a while back showing the sub box details. As for the head unit that is your call, I used an Alpine that has bluetooth and XM and matches the interior fairly well.
    1999 M Coupe

  6. #6
    Terry F.'s Avatar
    Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Broward County, FL
    Posts
    4,703
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt View Post
    FWIW, I heard back from bavsound today. They indicated that they no longer offer their Stage 1 kit for the Coupe and suggested I find a local shop to do something custom.
    Eastern WA. Would you have to go to Spokane?

    Stuff. I got stuff.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth, N. Hemisphere
    Posts
    2,600
    My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    I believe there is a JL sub that fits our enclosures. That's a shame about bav sound not making the stage 1 for our cars. Do they have a stage 2?

    The sound system is last on my list but I might have to start collecting parts

    db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    169
    My Cars
    01 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Eastern WA. Would you have to go to Spokane?
    Spokane's closest, but I talked to someone in Portland around 3-4 years ago that said he'd done a number of Coupes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    For the money, I don't think you can beat the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier. You can buy pretty much use any high quality 6.5" component speaker with separate tweeters for the front and you can fit any 5 1/4" in the roof in the rear. The sub is very limited unless you make a custom box. I ran a Kicker 8" Solo-Baric L7 subwoofer and made a custom box that all fit under the cover in the back. I posted a thread a while back showing the sub box details. As for the head unit that is your call, I used an Alpine that has bluetooth and XM and matches the interior fairly well.
    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    900
    My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpmp1025 View Post
    I believe there is a JL sub that fits our enclosures.
    db
    JL Audio no longer makes the 6.5" subwoofer that fit in the stock box. I had one and blew out it, when I couldn't find a replacement, I decided to make my own box for the 8" Solo Baric.
    1999 M Coupe

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    All Over California
    Posts
    1,015
    My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Portland? If it's Musicar, I'd recommend s hard pass. Just a heads up.

    What are you in need of as far as assistance? What price point are you looking st? I'm getting a list together for my own coupe at the moment, and am doing a bit of research on each component on current offer, and could possibly offer some suggestions for your tastes/goals. But as far as a plugnplay kit or system - none exist to my knowledge.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    853
    My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Kicker makes a 6.5" that works in the stock box. Also, I used 6.5" coax in the rear and 5.25 components in the front. You can put 6.5" components in the front as long as the mounting depth is not too deep.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    vienna, va
    Posts
    41
    My Cars
    2009 m3 sedan (e90)
    Reviving an old thread here...does the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier work "plug and play" with the factory head unit?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    165
    My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    I doubt it based on all the individual speakers and how they are wired to the amp.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    62
    My Cars
    89 M3, 06 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
    Reviving an old thread here...does the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier work "plug and play" with the factory head unit?
    I installed one of these amps in my X5 4.8is. It is capable of using the same input signal as the factory amp and should do a pretty good job with it. Wiring the speakers would be up to you, you may want to consider replacing the speakers and rewiring them.

    That being said, that amp is far more powerful than what would be necessary to drive a Z3-sized sub.
    Brian 03 M5 98 Z3 M Roadster 93 e30 325i convertible 91 850i/6 89 M3 2.5 and a few parts cars...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cowtown Fornia
    Posts
    19
    My Cars
    1988 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
    Reviving an old thread here...does the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier work "plug and play" with the factory head unit?
    Is there a reason you want to keep the factory head unit? If looks are your concern maybe check out the Clarion m508. It doesn't look too boy racer

Similar Threads

  1. Best Quotes from B-Fest Weekend
    By MattE21 in forum 1975 - 1983 (E21)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 12:26 PM
  2. Quote on a 328xi Coupe
    By boardLizard in forum 2006 - 2012 (E90, E91, E92, E93)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 12:52 AM
  3. Best quote ever from Rubens to Montoya
    By mijgilbert in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •