Thread: Current "best" M Coupe speaker/amp options?

My Cars
    01 M Coupe

Current "best" M Coupe speaker/amp options?

Hey everyone, I've browsed through some of the threads by the more industrious members who've assembled their own replacements/upgrades of the Coupe audio system. For those of us who aren't that industrious (read: dumb and lazy), is there a kit or other relatively straightforward way to refresh the Coupe audio? My sub amp is blown and I generally assume that all of the speakers at this point are pretty much crap. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I'll let the coupe guys advise but with your screen name and location I wonder if you work at Grand Coulee Dam? :-)

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 z3m coupe
    I've been wondering the same! Hoping for some good answers, all the other threads I searched made some older recommendations.

My Cars
    01 M Coupe
    FWIW, I heard back from bavsound today. They indicated that they no longer offer their Stage 1 kit for the Coupe and suggested I find a local shop to do something custom.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt View Post
    Hey everyone, I've browsed through some of the threads by the more industrious members who've assembled their own replacements/upgrades of the Coupe audio system. For those of us who aren't that industrious (read: dumb and lazy), is there a kit or other relatively straightforward way to refresh the Coupe audio? My sub amp is blown and I generally assume that all of the speakers at this point are pretty much crap. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!
    For the money, I don't think you can beat the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier. You can buy pretty much use any high quality 6.5" component speaker with separate tweeters for the front and you can fit any 5 1/4" in the roof in the rear. The sub is very limited unless you make a custom box. I ran a Kicker 8" Solo-Baric L7 subwoofer and made a custom box that all fit under the cover in the back. I posted a thread a while back showing the sub box details. As for the head unit that is your call, I used an Alpine that has bluetooth and XM and matches the interior fairly well.
    1999 M Coupe

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt View Post
    FWIW, I heard back from bavsound today. They indicated that they no longer offer their Stage 1 kit for the Coupe and suggested I find a local shop to do something custom.
    Eastern WA. Would you have to go to Spokane?

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    I believe there is a JL sub that fits our enclosures. That's a shame about bav sound not making the stage 1 for our cars. Do they have a stage 2?

The sound system is last on my list but I might have to start collecting parts

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    01 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Eastern WA. Would you have to go to Spokane?
    Spokane's closest, but I talked to someone in Portland around 3-4 years ago that said he'd done a number of Coupes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    For the money, I don't think you can beat the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier. You can buy pretty much use any high quality 6.5" component speaker with separate tweeters for the front and you can fit any 5 1/4" in the roof in the rear. The sub is very limited unless you make a custom box. I ran a Kicker 8" Solo-Baric L7 subwoofer and made a custom box that all fit under the cover in the back. I posted a thread a while back showing the sub box details. As for the head unit that is your call, I used an Alpine that has bluetooth and XM and matches the interior fairly well.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpmp1025 View Post
    I believe there is a JL sub that fits our enclosures.
    db
    JL Audio no longer makes the 6.5" subwoofer that fit in the stock box. I had one and blew out it, when I couldn't find a replacement, I decided to make my own box for the 8" Solo Baric.
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Portland? If it's Musicar, I'd recommend s hard pass. Just a heads up.

What are you in need of as far as assistance? What price point are you looking st? I'm getting a list together for my own coupe at the moment, and am doing a bit of research on each component on current offer, and could possibly offer some suggestions for your tastes/goals. But as far as a plugnplay kit or system - none exist to my knowledge.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Kicker makes a 6.5" that works in the stock box. Also, I used 6.5" coax in the rear and 5.25 components in the front. You can put 6.5" components in the front as long as the mounting depth is not too deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2009 m3 sedan (e90)
    Reviving an old thread here...does the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier work "plug and play" with the factory head unit?

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    I doubt it based on all the individual speakers and how they are wired to the amp.

My Cars
    89 M3, 06 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
    Reviving an old thread here...does the JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier work "plug and play" with the factory head unit?
    I installed one of these amps in my X5 4.8is. It is capable of using the same input signal as the factory amp and should do a pretty good job with it. Wiring the speakers would be up to you, you may want to consider replacing the speakers and rewiring them.

That being said, that amp is far more powerful than what would be necessary to drive a Z3-sized sub.
    Brian – 17 540i M – 15 X5d - 05 M3 ZCP - 03 M5 – 99 M Roadster – 94 740iL – 93 e30 325i convertible – 91 850i/6 – 90 M3 – 89 M3 2.5 – and a few parts cars...

My Cars
    1988 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by abugiacomo View Post
    Is there a reason you want to keep the factory head unit? If looks are your concern maybe check out the Clarion m508. It doesn't look too boy racer