Thread: best catback for dropped top

My Cars
    1997 328ic

best catback for dropped top

hearing that supersprint, remus, stromung are on the quieter side of things. any vert owners with feedback or suggestions?

top concern is a droning exhaust at cruising 50-80mph speeds with dropped top.

also my cat died will straight pipe introduce any unfavorable noise (rasp, drone) for this cruiser?

thanks in adv!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    From what I remember, Remus exhausts are definitely not quiet; but do have a unique sound to them. A straight pipe will definitely increase the decibels by a bit and may cause that droning sound at higher speeds. If you want a quality exhaust that isn't super loud but sound amazing, I would go with the Dinan exhaust. Best of luck and happy new year!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2013 X5
    From all the research I have done, I am set to add a Stromung this spring. Not too loud but once invoked, you get a nice sound. Check out the YouTube videos.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    I have a Remus cat-back on mine and remember being disappointed when I first installed it because of how quiet it was (quieter than standard, although deeper voice). At that time the car still had an auto transmission.

After the auto to manual trans swap and the installation of m50 intake and K&N induction kit, the exhaust came alive.

I can drive quietly when I want to, it sings from 3,000-5,000, and roars beautifully above that and at wide-open-throttle.

It's also worth pointing out there is zero drone at cruising speeds on long journeys with my Remus - very easy to live with.

I had considered removing either the cats or resonators (or both), but don't think it needs doing now since it sounds good already without being obnoxious. If my cats die I'll try it without cast, but I wouldn't go out if my way to chop out healthy cats.

From what I've read if you cut out cats but keep resonators it doesn't get too raspy. Same result if you cut out resonators but keep cats. Remove both, and it would be more likely to become more raspy.
    Last edited by BKKBeemer; 01-06-2017 at 02:21 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    anybody else with aftermarket exhaust on their vert who can chime in?

My Cars
    '95 325i vert
    I have a vibrance exhaust and from what I've read about it, it's a replica of UUC system U. It sounds amazing but drones quite a bit between 3700 and 4000rpm. I also have an aftermarket midsection without resonators so that's probably making the drone worse.
    '95 325i Convertible MT Montreal Blue on Tan Mods: Vibrant Catback, 3.91 LSD, MarkD Tune, Dinan Carbon CAI, Dinan Brace, HSD Coils, ZF Swap, S52 Clutch & Flywheel, Dension GBLx, MFL, Driver
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mtlblaue36/

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I put the stock M3 on as a placeholder. It's actually quieter than the stock 325i I removed until you get on it. Zero drone at highway speeds. I have dual magnaflows on my GTO that I love the sound of at idle. But they do drone at mid rpm. That's typically the nature of the beast with non OEM exhausts.

My Cars
    '95 325i vert
    I had the M3 exhaust on mine before I got the vibrance exhaust and I found the same thing. Nice and quiet around town but opens up at the top end. Good sound on a budget although it's so much heavier and looks like a tumour below the rear bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '95 325i Convertible MT Montreal Blue on Tan Mods: Vibrant Catback, 3.91 LSD, MarkD Tune, Dinan Carbon CAI, Dinan Brace, HSD Coils, ZF Swap, S52 Clutch & Flywheel, Dension GBLx, MFL, Driver
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mtlblaue36/

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    thank you both. did some more research and ActiveAutowerks exhaust seems to be a high quality piece that's also on the quiet side. Ireland exhaust looks like a cheaper quieter alternative too. Stromung sounds the best from youtube vids, although those are hard to judge. 80mph is around 3k on 5spd, so droning above that range shouldn't be an issue. I'll do some reading on vibrance exhaust.

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    I went with the Stromung on my M3 vert and I love it. It doesn't drone and while somewhat louder with my foot in it is well behaved at constant throttle.
    I installed it a little over 2 years ago.
    I have noticed that the sound mellows and is even nicer after the first few hundred miles.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    So as an update I'm about 400miles into stromung catback. I love deep sound around the town and looks like quality piece... coming off the lights is unbelievable awesome sound of inline 6. but highway drone with roof up is really crushing me. I recorded 95-100 decibels in the cabin which means I will go deaf before if I keep it up. With the top down the sound is much less noticeable since the resonance doesn't get captured inside the cabin. I think we might have more drone due to the roof compartment.

Jamrobin have you measured your decibels (it's free app) with roof top? I really hope it mellows out because I might have to take the bullet and switch to supersprint.

m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I'm bummed to hear this about the Stromung drone. I use my vert on my daily highway commute and want to find something lighter than the M3 catback with good tone but no drone. Sounds like most all the aftermarkets are a compromise. The super sprint could fit the need but is 2x the price unless you find a good used unit.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Hey guys. Another update and it's good news. After 1000 miles or so of hot weather city driving the muffler mellowed out and the highway drone is gone. There is some deep humming going on but it's not an issue at all anymore. And from 0-60 it has some of he nicest exhaust notes that's not overwhelming. Trust me I was very sensitive myself but seems like I overreacted too soon before the muffler had proper break-in. Twistytee you are good to go with stromung!

m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub