Thread: Central Locking System

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible

Central Locking System

I am having problems with my Central Locking System on my 1998 M3 Convertible.

The passenger door actuator went bad so I replaced that and it worked for a while. Then I replace the trunk actuator and it fixed for a while. Then I replace the gas door actuator it the system was working great. But now it's not working again. Any ideas?

There are only the two door actuators, trunk, gas door, and the hood sensor in the system. Am I missing an actuator somewhere? The alarm system is working fine. I can press the lock button and it arms the system and it disarms when I unlock the system. It just doesn't lock the doors.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    95 325i Convertible
    Check the hood pin switch. That gave me problems before in the past.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The locking system shares the wire loom from the fender into the trunk lid on the left side. You can pull the grommet and rubber boot from the trunk lid and see if the wires inside are damaged. There is also a lock on the glove box door.

My Cars
    95 325i Convertible
    Disconnect alarm system

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    Have you considered the wiring under the driver's seat carpet may be shorting due to moisture? This was the cause of my central door lock issues. I placed a mini dehumidifier in the car at all times and that solved the problem.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    95 Widebody M3/Sc400/01.5 S4
    ive had a similar issue on my 98 as well. Fixed the gas door actuator and everything was working. Now none of the doors lock autonatically..i have to manually lock every door. Is there a relay that should click when you hit the central door lock button?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well, I have the trunk and gas door locking units working again. So now I think I need to replace the door actuators, again. The cheapest one I can find is on RockAuto so as soon as replace those hopefully it will work.

So now I have lock the doors manually also!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I cannot stress enough that you need to inspect the wire harness from the trunk lid to the left side fender. The wires in this harness are known to break and short together, causing all manner of strange things to happen to the locking and lighting systems.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy909 View Post
    Check the hood pin switch. That gave me problems before in the past.

This only affects central locking if the factory alarm is installed.

My Cars
    95 325i Convertible
    Yah.

My Cars
    95 325i Convertible
    Bad actuator? People think convertible parts are compatible with any model but there not. Reset your system by taking off the battery cables.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    HAVE YOU BOTHERED TO LOOK AT THE WIRES FROM THE LEFT SIDE FENDER THAT GO INTO THE TRUNK LID?

Seriously. These wires flex and bend as the trunk is opened and closed. The insulation breaks apart and allows the wires themselves to come into contact with one another. The results are chaos. Pure chaos. Nothing but chaos. You can do lots of things, and the random nature of the shorts that occur in the wire loom will make you chase ghosts for days and days. You will end up climbing the clock tower in the center of town with a high powered rifle and take shots at the WalMart parking lot. Seriously, check the harness from the trunk lid that goes into the fender.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well, I finally got the Central Locking System working again. I replaced the two door actuators and then I replaced all three fuses and then it started working again. Finally!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy909 View Post
    Bad actuator? People think convertible parts are compatible with any model but there not.

yes they are.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    HAVE YOU BOTHERED TO LOOK AT THE WIRES FROM THE LEFT SIDE FENDER THAT GO INTO THE TRUNK LID?

Seriously. These wires flex and bend as the trunk is opened and closed. The insulation breaks apart and allows the wires themselves to come into contact with one another. The results are chaos. Pure chaos. Nothing but chaos. You can do lots of things, and the random nature of the shorts that occur in the wire loom will make you chase ghosts for days and days. You will end up climbing the clock tower in the center of town with a high powered rifle and take shots at the WalMart parking lot. Seriously, check the harness from the trunk lid that goes into the fender.

Post of the year status right here!
    Caprica Junkie