Thread: Strange Intermittent Electrical Problem

My Cars
    2005 X3

Strange Intermittent Electrical Problem

I have an 2005 3.0L X3. For the last week I have been experiencing a strange electrical problem. Fortunately the problem has the same symptoms each time it occurs but does not occur every time i start the vehicle.

Symptoms after starting vehicle:

• The Red Airbag light remains lit on the dash
    • All steering wheel controls do not work (radio, cruse control)
    • Interior lights randomly slowly illuminate then slowly dim to off (during a 2 second cycle). There seems to be identifiable reason as to when the lights come on. The lights never come on to full brightness. The cycle will occur regardless of the light switch position of the center roof light (on/off)
    • The windshield wipers will start to wipe but then freeze in the up position.
    • The "passenger airbag off" light stays illuminated if there is a passenger.

The most consistent condition seems to be when the temperature is below freezing. It happens if there is just a driver or a driver and a font passenger. Above freezing it does not happen with or without a passenger.

When the symptoms are not present. The vehicle operates normally.

Based on the interior lights slowly illuminating and dimming , it sounds like an electrical short somewhere.

Anyone have a similar problem or ideas of what may be causing the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

My Cars
    X1,528i,X3,325i,MiniC S
    My '99 5 series E39 had very strange electrical behavior that ended up being the ignition switch. It is the switch/contacts that rotate behind the key tumbler. It was easy to replace. Not sure how you'd diagnose it, based on your symptoms though. Maybe put pressure on the key next time it happens.

My Cars
    2005 X3
    Thanks. I did a little more research on the ignition switch and it seems like that is the most probable culprit. I will replace it on Friday and see if that takes care of the problem.

Mike

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.5 & 2007 X3si
    I was having the exact same problem, it slowly got worse over the past two months, I am so glad I didn't replace the airbag pad or the sensors, the final culprit was the ignition switch. I took it out, which was a piece of cake. Took it apart carefully, cleaned the contacts with a little sandpaper, used contact cleaner and sprayed it onto the contacts, then a can of air to dry it, wiped it down, reassembled it, reinstalled it and voila, all the weird electrical problems went away.

The interior lights coming on and off while driving, the ABS Red warning light, the 4x4 & Brake light, the radio acting weird, none of the steering wheel buttons worked, the horn didn't work, using the vanity light would cause the SOS light to blink and the light bulb warning light to go on, even the transmission gear light would light up indicating a problem... it's all working now.

Easily saved a ton of a cash if I had started to replace the parts that the dash had indicated, especially by not going to the dealer. What a huge relief, I was starting to regret the purchase I made, lol, I've had at least 5 other BMWs, never have I experienced such bizarre behavior that didn't make any sense, I checked all the fuses, I was dumbfounded until I saw a posting on another board about a 5 series BMW exhibiting the exact same behavior.

So - replace the switch or try cleaning it first and see if that solves the problem, I'm going to get a replacement switch, they're about $80 for the real deal (if you don't get them from BMW dealer) or $20-$40 for aftermarket.

My Cars
    X3
    I had the same problem on mine. Very hard to isolate electrical gremlin. Mine was more pronounced in cold weather. If you can pull the codes, that might help. I haven't isolated it yet but there is a code throwing on a seat recline sensor being shorted.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    This thread is over a yr old,
    last responded to, by a 2 and 1 POST WONDER!