Thread: 2018 Corvette | Mid engine | New LT5 ?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2018 Corvette | Mid engine | New LT5 ?

Time for another car hangout thread. While I'm, and supposedly you all are, anxiously waiting to see the new Supra / FT-1, let's talk about the upcoming news about GM making a mid engine Corvette that also plans to bring back the LT5 engine. Although it will be a modernized version of the LT5 with DI, it has been stated to remain as a Naturally Aspirated engine, and supposedly having the same displacement of 6.2ltrs as the current LT/LS engines.

Here are some of my questions:

• What are your thoughts about seeing the return of DOHC V8 in a Chevy supercar?
    • Will it have a flat-plane crank like the Ford GT350/R or a cross-plane type?
    • Aim for a more broader and a better power band across the rev range thanks to a high revving four valve head, individual control of intake and exhaust timing, and supposedly also have valve lift?
    • No need for another costly designed Forced Induction engine?
    • Weight comparison between an OHV and a DOHC?
    • How low is the centre of gravity going to be like in a mid engine Corvette?
    • Who is it trying to compete with?
    • Price range?
    • Will it have a DCT type transmission?
    • Does this sound like a great idea? An ideal package overall?
    • Or is this truly not necessary and worth at all?

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    -don't care
    -cross plane
    -high revving engine, power up high
    -forced induction=problems for GM
    -40lbs heavier. Negligible.
    -49/51 weight distribution, same center of gravity height
    -McLaren 570s, NSX, huracan
    -~$200k
    -10 speed auto from Camaro, 7 speed manual
    -No, maybe
    -depends how they pull it off
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, I kind of agree with you dk.

• I would not mind at all to see the return of a newer version of LT5 engine. We don't even know what it's going to be called but perhaps something like a second gen LT5. Who knows.
    • I also think it will most likely be a cross plane type crank yet having the ability to rev higher than their typical OHV engine. I'm suspecting red line to be somewhere between 7k to 7.5k rpm.
    • According to few sources it is believed that this new engine will be replacing the supercharged LT4 engine either in the Z06 or the ZR1, and supposedly will make even more power. I think that's where the displacement and all the cam design and valve timing will come into play. Cost factor and I suppose reliability is one of the reasons why a DOHC is coming back after dealing with some issues LT4 had when it came out. Plus, I say OHV engines have a certain limit in how much the heads can flow and only with some form of force induction was it successful enough to make those awesome 650/650 figures on the dyno. To step up the game, GM must have finally decided to go different this time with a four valve head that can breathe better and is more cost effective to make more power.
    • I found a source where someone said the Coyote 5.0 engine actually weighs less than the current GM small block which I thought was interesting. Even so I'm not expecting a significant weight difference and like you said the it would most likely be in the region of +/- 50lbs.
    • While weight distribution is one thing, the centre of gravity is another. I personally think that the OHV design has the advantage here dimension wise unless if the DOHC engine is equipped with a dry sump lubrication system then it may not make much of a difference at all. I know the LT4 also has a dry sump.
    • If the price range is closer to $200k then yeah I can see where the competition is going to be. I don't know if the new Ford GT falls into this category or not, but I suspect it will.
    • Yeah, it will definitely have a 7 speed manual for sure and perhaps for the first time a DCT gearbox with possible 9 forward gears.
    • Overall, I think this is an interesting package. Being a mid engine supercar and having a tremendous amount of power, I think this will alleviate some of the worst handling characteristics Corvette's are known for. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
    • Hmm ... will be interesting to see how it pans out.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    For whatever reason, a Corvette with a DOHC engine upsets me more than and mid engined Vette. They've been messing around with a mid engine Vette for decades now, it's about time they make it a reality.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nah ... I graciously welcome a DOHC engine. I'm interested to see what GM can come up with.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I think DOHC na LT5 is official now

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Do you have a link for this official news?

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I guess this has been everywhere, maybe I'm just out of the loop, but the apparent leaked documents show that the LT5 is solely for the Corvette
    Two pics from Hot Rod and Autoblog

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I do suppose that nowhere does it say that it will be in the 2018 Corvette, just that it is designed for the Corvette

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ah, okay. I have seen that already and supposedly there is still the option of having the LT1 and/or LT4 engine. Can't wait to see this mid engine designed Corvette and this new LT5 engine.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Have to say, if this is it, I'm looking forward to it

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nice looking Lamborghini .... kekeke.