Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capelo's Green Monster Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    I really like my cars current setup and don't feel like dumping another ~2k into the rear end to hit the strip with peace of mind. But it goes like a freight train on the highway. I am going to head to NE Dragway at some point before the end of the season, but I'm going to have to pussy foot it out of the hole lol just to see what kind of trap she can pull
    E36mylo is running a small jb 6262 t3 with a .63 AR , one would think you would be able to baby it out the hole and walk right around. Although he might surprise with driving abilities.

My money would be on CA#%LO for sure ; )
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    E36mylo is running a small jb 6262 t3 with a .63 AR , one would think you would be able to baby it out the hole and walk right around. Although he might surprise with driving abilities.

My money would be on CA#%LO for sure ; )
    I see what you did there lol. I need to get in on this handbrake technique he's been talking about.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I see what you did there lol. I need to get in on this handbrake technique he's been talking about.
    Practice makes perfect. First time at the track will humble you and embarrass you beyond belief. My car was built with auto x, track days and drag racing in mind. I wanted it to be able to do it all, and very well at that. Drag racing requires skill to get off the line and get it right consistently. That's why I like it. You beat faster cars because you have more skill than they do. Just ask the local corvette, Srt and hellcat douche bros what they think of my car whenever I show up at the track on Fridays. 700+whp guys don't exactly like getting smoked by a old car from the 90s with blue tape on the rear fenders and a stupid wing. Lol

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    Practice makes perfect. First time at the track will humble you and embarrass you beyond belief. My car was built with auto x, track days and drag racing in mind. I wanted it to be able to do it all, and very well at that. Drag racing requires skill to get off the line and get it right consistently. That's why I like it. You beat faster cars because you have more skill than they do. Just ask the local corvette, Srt and hellcat douche bros what they think of my car whenever I show up at the track on Fridays. 700+whp guys don't exactly like getting smoked by a old car from the 90s with blue tape on the rear fenders and a stupid wing. Lol
    That is what makes it all worth it. Nothing like a 5k car beating up on 75k car. I find myself thinking of all of these cars as less superior to mine now when I see them driving around either way lol
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Until you put 75k into a 5k car. Then the jokes on you.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Until you put 75k into a 5k car. Then the jokes on you.
    I'm at roughly 8k into the setup so there's some wiggle room for talking trash lol

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    In my case $XX,xxx.00 into a 3k car.

Shit, I think I have spent more than 8k in clutches over the years.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 08-15-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The mishi part is just a fan holder not a shroud. You can make your own fan holder or use zip ties through the core.

I'd run a bigger filter. Maybe cut the light or run a stock light.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    That is what makes it all worth it. Nothing like a 5k car beating up on 75k car. I find myself thinking of all of these cars as less superior to mine now when I see them driving around either way lol
    You just described my usual Friday nights. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The mishi part is just a fan holder not a shroud. You can make your own fan holder or use zip ties through the core.

I'd run a bigger filter. Maybe cut the light or run a stock light.
    I contacted 2 different mishimoto sellers and they would'nt sell the holder seperately. So i called up Zionsville and asked if they'd sell their fan shroud seperate from this kit ---> https://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/...xpansion-tank/

He said sure! So i ordered it up. I'd like to get all the cooling I can possibly get with this huge heat trap stuffed behind my headlight. I really like my current headlights so I want to keep them for now, but for race days I may pop a stock one in there with a homemade trumpet or something.
    Got a Stewart water pump, 75C Tstat and a new 16" Spal puller to bolt onto the Zionsville shroud. Then the slim Spal fan will go onto the condensor with those zipties and I'll wire it to the factory AUX connector. Hopefully I can get these temps under control for peace of mind.

Any downsides to removing hood insulation all together? For now It's trimmed around the turbo with heat shielding in place, but after a few solid beat runs I swear I can feel the heat radiating through the dashboard.
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Will the zionsville shroud fit another radiator.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Will the zionsville shroud fit another radiator.
    From the link I posted
    "This upgrade requires no additional welding, so it can be installed in the field with rivits across the upper and lower core header panels. This kit can also be used on O.E. radiators or other aftermarket radiators with O.E. core dimensions. [See Full Description Below]"

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Great. You can probably also bolt it using small bolts rather than nonremoveable rivets.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    That's probably what I'll do. Should be much better than using zipties to mount it direct onto the rad like I've used for so long.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Cars been running awesome the last few weeks. Got the zionsville shroud installed with the new fan and the temps have been perfect.

Made it to the strip this past Friday with Mylo and Greg too!
    Happy with the results even with a weak launch
    [IMG][/IMG]

Look at that 60' lol

I didn't even crack the wastegate open in 1st gear. Next time I'll trailer it up so I don't have to worry about the 1hr drive home lol

One of my friends got a decent video
    https://youtu.be/46fS0V2dwKk

Also on the way up to the track I raced a b5 s4 with 458whp and pulled hard on it up to 130 about 2 car lengths. I'm impressed with it for only 15psi.

Next is to fix this stupid fuel smell in the cabin. Smoke test shows a vent line to the tank broken between the body. Time to drop the tank and upgrade the fuel lines while I'm at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple pics of the car from that night at the track

]
    ]
    Last edited by SCapelo; 09-04-2017 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Very nice.
    Glad to see people hitting the track and putting their cars to use. Well done.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Awesome meeting you man. Hopefully more people start going to the track!

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    So a few things have happened over the last few months. Had a ton of fun at 15psi and got a little carried away. Now looking to upgrade and turn up the wick a little for 2018

Upgraded my bright blue boost / wideband for these AEM gauges with the truboost. I really wish I got the rallyroad mount but whatever it works

Got it turned up from 15psi to about 17-18psi and had a blast for a little while

Came home one night in the rain and went wot at low rpm in 3rd and spun really quick up to the limiter. Thats when I saw a big puff of smoke out back after letting out.
    Made 6 or 7 more pulls just to verify the smoke, car still pulled hard to redline. I thought maybe turbo seals had given up until I was going to work the next morning and rolled into 1st at real low rpm, could feel the slightest misfire. Pulled compression and got:

So out comes the motor!

First time yanking it out this way, but I found it was easiest and fastest to pull trans out then yank it up and out. No need to touch subframe or the nose panel.

Piston # 5 had other plans

Almost cracked it in half! I ended up driving it into the bay for the tear down and everything. It ran so good just a little smoke. Could have been real bad.
    I'm chalking the failure up to a boost spike in the rain, really was getting carried away with the car pushing my luck. It also doesn't help that I was pushing my luck on 93 octane as a few members mentioned. Water/Meth or e85 should probably have been used for the amount of abuse this old hunk of metal was taking! Should have turned it down for shenanigans but left it on high setting on the boost controller. I really don't like how the truboost spikes and tapers off a couple psi. But that's what took care of my boost addiction for a little while longer

Then stopped for my boost budget meal of choice

At this point I had the choice of slapping in another piston or doing a full on rebuild. And for the amount of work I need to do, it was kind of a no-brainer.
    After much consideration I settled on an 87mm JE / Eagle setup with new bearings. Sent out the block and head to the machine shop shortly after.

Back from the machine shop all cleaned up

Head back freshly decked to remove the cut ring from last year. Not much needed to be taken off

Now being my first ever engine rebuild, It's one of the last few things I have not dove into on my own. So I want to do as much as I can to learn through the process. Ordered up some new Main and Rod bearings and jumped in with some help. Went to install the new main bearings and currently have an issue with the crank binding up once the ARP mains are down to the final torque of 60ftlb. Removed it all to find some scoring on the new bearings. One of the thrust bearings has a small cut in it that I figured wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want to risk it. I think maybe its not allowing the crank to seat properly. Going to order a new set of standard main bearings and follow the TIS manual.

This was after being hand turned maybe 30 times. Took more force than it should've. Luckily the crank is fine.

And here's the thrust bearing that was defective out of the box.

Not even sure how that happens. Manufacturer defect???

Oh and I picked up another fun boost project for this coming year!

99 M3 with an RMS / DINAN Blower! After some research it looks like its a stage 3 since it has the aftercooler & water/meth kit installed, larger injectors etc. Going to swap out the bad HG for a stock compression Cutring / ARP combo and letter rip!

And to top it off, our shop has been very busy. Hardly have time to work on my toys. Got my hands full but I'm real excited for this coming year.

2018 Setup:

-S52 Crank

-Stock S52 Head

-JE 9:1 87mm Pistons

-Eagle 135mm Rods

-Main Bearings

-Arp Main Hardware

-Arp Rod Hardware

-Rod Bearings

-Cutring Gasket

-ARP Headstuds

-GT4088r .95 AR from this past year - no shaft play or leaks ftw!

-Southbend Stage 4

-3.5" Stainless Exhaust

-ID1300s

-22RPD Toons

-E85

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Some various videos to sum up how awesome this setup was for 2017. Worth all the sweat and tears lol

Some potato vids that were sent to me :/

She is F@$%!NG loud!!!!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Open wg ftw

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Open wg ftw
    Not going to change that any time soon

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    awesome build, thanks for the update. keeping me motivated to finish up my green monster turbo build... how did your rapid spool handle the wrapping? I unwrapped mine due to voiding the 2 year warranty and wasn't sure if it would hold up to the threat of wrapping cracks... Tomorrow ill wire in AEM meth, and keeping the mechanical fan hoping detonation can stay away...
    IMG_6265 by joe princen, on FlickrIMG_9469 by joe princen, on Flickr
    Last edited by JPE36M3; 12-27-2017 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    what year was the potato grown that was used to record those videos!? good stuff. glad im not the only one turning these things into street/track monsters.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my builds on youtube and IG.

www.youtube.com/thenameskam

@thenameskam on IG

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE36M3 View Post
    awesome build, thanks for the update. keeping me motivated to finish up my green monster turbo build... how did your rapid spool handle the wrapping? I unwrapped mine due to voiding the 2 year warranty and wasn't sure if it would hold up to the threat of wrapping cracks... Tomorrow ill wire in AEM meth, and keeping the mechanical fan hoping detonation can stay away...
    Thanks! I don't post here as often as I should. I mainly just rob this forum for knawledge and I go on my merry way.

I wasn't even aware of a 2 year warranty until you mentioned it lol. I bought it before Otis listed it on his site. No cracks yet but I'll make sure to check the head side flange for being true before I reinstall. I'll keep the wrap. Damn engine bay just gets so hot I don't want to take it off. My hood literally can't be touched without being burned after 4 or 5 good pulls.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kame36sedan View Post
    what year was the potato grown that was used to record those videos!? good stuff. glad im not the only one turning these things into street/track monsters.
    LoL Android lyfe. Had to download Whatsapp to stop sent videos from going 1080p to 144p.

And hell yeah, I plan to trailer this Ho down to a roll race event this year on the east coast. The local BMW guys were talking about an air strip rental but I'm not sure it's all that easy. Would be pretty bad ass though since those stupid new M5s are going 200+. For now we drive to Canada for our street fun

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast